Weee are the Champioooons

diamond_ace

The Ottawa Lynx have won the Founders Cup, in a 4 game sweep in the finals over the Halifax 21st. Some might be inclined to draw a parallel to real life in a way, with the expansion team (Halifax here, Vegas in the NHL) getting to the finals and losing to a team that was a bit overdue for a cup (although since I've only been back in charge of Ottawa for 4 seasons now, I can't really say we were that overdue, since the only real missed opportunity was S60 with Thompson, Gate, and that crew). All I can really say is that I'm proud of the boys, most of which lived up to any expectation I could possibly have put on them. From a GMing standpoint, it's perhaps a bit of a relief - after all, we got the short end of the 13th pick debacle at the draft, we had our late round steal succumb to CTE halfway through the season causing him to go a bit nuts and get himself banned, and we overcame the expansion draft rules which were rather improperly balanced.

From a team standpoint, I've seen these guys grow all season and it's a testament to their work ethic that we got this done. @McWolf is going to eventually be a HOF builder (quote me on that 20 seasons from now) provided the league lasts long enough for him to make his mark, and with the way the last few draft classes have been I fully expect it to thrive moving forward. @oilmandan and @ChaceT are two of the best midseason pickups I've had over the entire time I've VHLM GMed, and given a little more time @monkeywrench15 would be right up there too, and I expect he'll be on that level moving forward. Trade acquisitions @Romaris and @Enorama cost a hefty price tag, but were worth every pick and then some. My one somewhat pre-built piece, @Elhandon got a glimpse of the team last year and I was happy to be able to get him back, he was a huge contributor on both ends of the ice. The few vets, @BOOM™, @Trifecta, and @hedgehog337 all had key roles to play for the team, especially Kriketers who will likely be Playoff MVP. Odinsson was better than Boom gives him credit for, and Trifecta was always good for being able to play whatever role I needed him to, whether with James or later Axelsson.

@DaftRaincloud gave me a bit of a scare when he had his finals but he's now back to what he was, I expect he'll be top line center for us again next season, before making his eventual move to the bigs (he may or may not have one of his linemates back in Odinsson, who looks like he could go either way at the moment). Honestly, we're not set up too badly for next season in general, not likely to be cup contenders but could easily end up still competitive, especially if we find a goalie. Still, don't want to spend too much time looking forward to next season, right now we have a cup to celebrate! Also, I'll be commissioning two extra rings for trade casualties Andrianopoulos and Lombardi, they didn't directly play but they had a role to contribute, even if that role was just to get me other pieces. I wish both of them the best of luck moving forward.

573 words

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Why won’t the league last that long? Geeze - 20 seasons and he’ll be HoF builder and yet I’m not there? :o 

I think it will, it's just a caveat. In S35ish, I don't think we expected there to be a lull at S55ish (20 seasons later) so you never know. Basically I'm saying that I'm more confident in McWolf than I am in the league itself, which is saying a lot because this place has been around 62 seasons and has longevity as fuck.

Also, do you really think no builders will be inducted in the interim? No one said you weren't there in this hypothetical - to bring in your own possible candidacy is way overthinking my statement. I think you're well on your way and will likely end up there at some point, but that's completely irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

I think it will, it's just a caveat. In S35ish, I don't think we expected there to be a lull at S55ish (20 seasons later) so you never know. Basically I'm saying that I'm more confident in McWolf than I am in the league itself, which is saying a lot because this place has been around 62 seasons and has longevity as fuck.

Also, do you really think no builders will be inducted in the interim? No one said you weren't there in this hypothetical - to bring in your own possible candidacy is way overthinking my statement. I think you're well on your way and will likely end up there at some point, but that's completely irrelevant.

I think he was only saying he wasn't there yet. Like I've been around for 2 months and there's already someone saying I might get in someday, while Bana's been here for god's knows how long and has done a lot of shit but isn't here yet. That's how I read it.

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence! It means a lot. I won't promise I'll get in the HoF as a builder, as this just feels like a very distant longshot right now. What I'll promise though is that I'll continue to be as active as I am right now, and I'll continue to pursue jobs I'm interested in when they are available. Thanks for everything you did for me and for the whole team this season!

Just now, McWolf said:

I think he was only saying he wasn't there yet. Like I've been around for 2 months and there's already someone saying I might get in someday, while Bana's been here for god's knows how long and has done a lot of shit but isn't here yet. That's how I read it.

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence! It means a lot. I won't promise I'll get in the HoF as a builder, as this just feels like a very distant longshot right now. What I'll promise though is that I'll continue to be as active as I am right now, and I'll continue to pursue jobs I'm interested in when they are available. Thanks for everything you did for me and for the whole team this season!

Yeah that’s about it, baby. 

Though, you’ve got on fast just like I did! You’re kicking the donkeys ass, man.