Make The Draft Great Again

Enorama

I'm going to start off by telling you a little story for those of you who weren't around or weren't paying attention for the last draft (S65). Generally speaking, the draft is run live, with GMs needing to react to other picks being made in real time and there generally being a shitshow around scheduling when to hold it, a bit of chaos when it comes to tracking who's been picked, and some hectic live trades. In S65, for reasons unknown (I would just assume, or hope, scheduling conflicts) the draft was held earlier, I assume over the course of several days, in secret. The thing is, it wasn't actually so secret, because when you see a team trading up in the 2nd round three days before the draft, you have to assume they know who's available at that specific pick.

I get that this made life easier on the GMs, but it was just. so. boring. The craziness that is draft day is supposed to be part of the fun around being a GM, and with drafts being run through the portal now, it should be much easier to track who's been picked. Let these draftees have the same fun that I had on my draft day, where there was all sorts of crazy speculation and rumors before my name ever got called. 

Bring back the true live draft.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

238 words, theme week.

3 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I'm going to start off by telling you a little story for those of you who weren't around or weren't paying attention for the last draft (S65). Generally speaking, the draft is run live, with GMs needing to react to other picks being made in real time and there generally being a shitshow around scheduling when to hold it, a bit of chaos when it comes to tracking who's been picked, and some hectic live trades. In S65, for reasons unknown (I would just assume, or hope, scheduling conflicts) the draft was held earlier, I assume over the course of several days, in secret. The thing is, it wasn't actually so secret, because when you see a team trading up in the 2nd round three days before the draft, you have to assume they know who's available at that specific pick.

I get that this made life easier on the GMs, but it was just. so. boring. The craziness that is draft day is supposed to be part of the fun around being a GM, and with drafts being run through the portal now, it should be much easier to track who's been picked. Let these draftees have the same fun that I had on my draft day, where there was all sorts of crazy speculation and rumors before my name ever got called. 

238 words, theme week.

agreed

I've only experienced the VHLM dispersal draft so far, and I've got to say it was very exciting watching it live(watched it on @Sonnet's stream, awesome stuff) and the suspension of waiting while your name gets picked is fitting, and if something I think it adds more excitement to the whole process, and seeing you say how it was pre-drafted earlier, that just kills the excitement, not that it changes when I found out about it, but the atmosphere is kinda ruined.

As I haven't had an experience in the draft in any way, I can't really say how it felt, but I would believe that having a Live draft would make it more exciting and just super cool. I hope that the league office will look at this and make it a rule, that Draft has to be held live! 100% for this idea!

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

Yeah it was brought in despite most GMs voting against it for a trial run but fair to say it wasn't a clear improvement.

iirc it was 5:4 in favor of the secret draft. although I was more neutral on this and just voted yes for that trial run

4 hours ago, Enorama said:

238 words, theme week.

HIGHLY AGREE. 

VHLM draft was legitimately fun when @Sonnet streamed it live. I had a blast even if Saskatoon didn't pick until the third round, I was always trying to move up for a player I really wanted.