Riga Reign Press Conference

7 hours ago, kelvi said:

:rig:RIGA REIGN PRESS CONFERENCE:rig:

December 5th, 2021

1. I don't think I asked this previously - but what do you think of the new logo?

2. Is your player underperforming, overperforming, or performing just right so far this season?

3. Name a practice drill you would be totally okay with eliminating forever?

4.  Provide me a presser question to add to following pressers - you don't have to answer the question when I ask it :) 

5. What is the best restaurant you have ever been to?

6. My last presser asked what the Canucks needed to do to get better - they have since fired Green and Benning, replacing them with  Bruce Boudreau and an interim. What do you think of these changes?

1. I think it's fine

2. I mean, considering how other defenceman below my TPA bracket are performing, I'd say underperforming for sure

3. Flow drills that don't teach you anything

4. Best Canadian NHL team

5. Actually, I'd say Coco Frutti, a restaurant I just went to in Kingston. They have the best omelets I have ever tasted

6. I think Boudreau is solid, and gosh darnit they better not hire John Chayka!

1. I don't think I asked this previously - but what do you think of the new logo?

I like it.  A bit more modern.

2. Is your player underperforming, overperforming, or performing just right so far this season?

Well, since Isau is leading the team in point production for the second consecutive season, despite getting only 30% of the ice time , I think he is over-achieving.  Or , maybe, he should have been doing this all along.

Stops and starts

4.  Provide me a presser question to add to following pressers - you don't have to answer the question when I ask it  

Should the league be revisiting the concept of depreciation and forced retirement ?  Do you think that player's careers should be somewhat longer ?

Since I haven't been in a restaurant for over a year, my answer would be any restaurant.  But seriously, I gotta think that Harry Barberians was the best.

6. My last presser asked what the Canucks needed to do to get better - they have since fired Green and Benning, replacing them with  Bruce Boudreau and an interim. What do you think of these changes?

Brucey will get the 'Nucks a few more wins, but really it is time to blow the team up and retool from the ground up.

10 hours ago, kelvi said:

December 5th, 2021

4.  Provide me a presser question to add to following pressers - you don't have to answer the question when I ask it :) 

1. I love it, looks very cool.

2. Overperforming my expectations but I think fitting into the team and performing just right.

3. Anything endurance.

4. Is a hot dog a sandwich?

5. The Tuckaway Tavern

6. I mean hiring the barbeque man is an interesting move but I definitely think Benning had to go, and the team they have overseeing management for now looks pretty good.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:44 PM, kelvi said:

December 5th, 2021

1. I like it, its a big bad hungry lion just like us. 

2. performing just right, playing with Cologne we have  nice squad, looking to improve more every week.

3. we call it suicide were I'm from, its basically just running the fast as you can until someone says to stop. 

4. what is the team lacking and need to improve? 

5. its call Moose mcgillycuddy's, its a nice restaurant the food is good. 

6. its going to help I think sometimes you just need some change.  

On 12/5/2021 at 11:44 PM, kelvi said:

December 5th, 2021

1.I liked the old logo better honestly but i gues if yall wanted to change it.

2.hes doin alright i think

3. 2 on 1s idk dont really care

4. how old is ledge

5. nurs-et idc if its over priced its good as shit

6.yeah maybe boudreau aint bad.

1. What do you think about the meta build? too overpowered or nah?

2. If your answer is yes, any ways to fix it? 

3. How happy are you with current 5th position Riga is holding? 

4. Do you care about MLB lockout?

5. but for real, how old is Ledge? 🤔

6. I tend to sleep a lot during NA prime time. is that hurting team's activity? 

7. Mary, kill, kiss: moose, hedgehog, wolf.

6 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

1. A bit.

2. I think it should be a bit more balanced because it makes it so people only go for scoring instead of other types of builds.

3. If we are trying to make the playoffs it'll be one heck of a close battle, but we aren't losing a ton which is always nice.

4. If it's the right thing to do it's the right thing to do, I'm not a huge baseball guy.

5. 69.

6. Nah that's fine get your sleep bro, I haven't even noticed you being inactive also.

7. Mary Moose, Kiss Hedgehog, Kill Wolf (sorry bro)

On 12/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, hedgehog337 said:

1. I mean, if you collect a team full of em, it's a bit OP

2. I guess encourage recreates to veer from hard meta-ing

3. Not terribly unhappy, considering this is supposedly a rebuilding season

4. As a non-baseball guy, not really.

5. Heh, never can tell eh

6. Eh, I agree with Shaman, get your sleep

7. Marry hedge, obv, kiss moose, and the non-riga bias kills wolf

December 19th , 2021

1.  Are you in the Christmas spirit yet? Or should I say  - holiday spirit? 

2. What is the team lacking and need to improve? (Alexandre's question)

3. Which team is surprising you the most this season based off success? 

4.  Is it just me or is this season FLYING? How are we 50 games in? 

5. Looks like the NHL won't be going to the Olympics - do you think this is the best decision? 

6. Do you think Ovie will stick around long enough to break Gretzky's record? 

I would say so.  Decorations are up, prezzies bought, theme music playing during waking hours.  Yup...it sounds a lot like Christmas.

That's a tough question.  @hedgehog337 addressed this in one of his recent posts.

Likely Prague.  We should have taken them out in the recent back-to back.  But they swept us instead.

Well, the wild card position is still within reach, but based on past experience...like several seasons worth....STHS will find a way to screw us !!

5. Looks like the NHL won't be going to the Olympics - do you think this is the best decision? 

From a viewers point of view...no.  I want to see the best in the world duke it out for gold.  From the point of view of player health and NHL economics....yes.....players will remain as safe as they can be given what they do.  And the NHL can use the 2 weeks or so to make up some of the postponed games.

I think so.  But a lot will depend on his relative health (injuries).

15 hours ago, kelvi said:

December 19th , 2021

1. Of course, my father only plays Christmas music starting in mid November, so it's a grind

2. Honestly we could use some more defencemen lmao, one of the hardships of rebuilding

3. Davos because they're never good, something's going on

4. I have no idea, it is going super fast

5. Well, considering how the diplomatic boycott doesn't mean crap, it's the only way to potentially get a message across to the Chinese

6. Yes. I think it's his lone goal now.

19 hours ago, kelvi said:

December 19th , 2021

1. Yes definitely! Doing a yankee swap tonight so that should be fun.

2. To be honest I think this year making the playoffs is a nice goal to have, next year is gonna be when we really start to shine and hopefully we can bring up our young guys and go for it. We do need consistency though.

3. I don't remember what I was thinking in the offseason too well but I know I didn't think Davos would be this good.

4. Oh definitely this season is being very speedy.

5. Yes 100%. Use the time they put aside for Olympics to make up games postponed due to COVID.

6. Yes, no doubt in my mind.

1. absolutely not. not even celebrating that event

2. scoring scoring scoring scoring scoring scoring scoring...do I need to continue?

3. Davos. I guess they finally found the way to a deserved luck.

4. eh. not really flying to me. just a usual pace

5. as if anyone will go to the Olympics heh

6. uh....hard to believe tbh. if only he can survive for 5-6 more seasons

December 27th, 2021

1.  We are almost done this season, how has your player been doing compared to expectations? 

2. Are you watching the World Juniors this year? Who are your players your most excited to see?

3. How has your Christmas/Holiday been so far? 

4. What has been your favorite sporting moment ever (in real life)?

5. Has Omicron effected your area a lot in terms of lockdowns and/or healthcare capacity?

6. Should the league be revisiting the concept of depreciation and forced retirement ?  Do you think that player's careers should be somewhat longer ? (Eynhallow's question)

18 hours ago, kelvi said:

December 27th, 2021

1.  We are almost done this season, how has your player been doing compared to expectations? 

2. Are you watching the World Juniors this year? Who are your players your most excited to see?

5. Has Omicron effected your area a lot in terms of lockdowns and/or healthcare capacity?

6. Should the league be revisiting the concept of depreciation and forced retirement ?  Do you think that player's careers should be somewhat longer ? (Eynhallow's question)

1. I'm blown away by how well I've done, so I'm very happy.

2. Not in particular but I'm definitely watching how my boy Fabian Lysell does because I'm a huge Bruins fan.

3. Very fun and nice to get a break.

4. 2011 Stanley Cup Finals.

5. It really hasn't done much.

6. I think by the time I finish this career I'll have an opinion on that but for now I really don't know.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, kelvi said:

December 27th, 2021

1. that bum Klam tried to ride on Calgary defense once again. and failed

2. not really tbh.

3. nothing much and I don't celebrate it

4. Euro - 2004, first years of Dinamo Riga and Latvia vs Canada in Sochi

5. I don't know and I don't even try to know. saves me some nerve cells

6. might be getting boring of same player dominating the league for an extended period. could maybe get that to 10 seasons maybe

On 12/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, kelvi said:

December 27th, 2021

1. I mean, assist per game is very nice, so I'm happy

2. Damn. All I have to say about that

3. It's been fine, I haven't seen any friends because of covid, but it's been fine

4. When Akil Thomas scored that sick goal to put Canada up 4-3 over Russia in the gold medal game. I remember freaking out watching it on TV

5. Yes. Southern Ontario has been hit hard, and Doug Ford....well, Doug Ford.

6. I mean, I think there was a rule change with the VHLE where you're guaranteed 8 seasons or something, which is fine

6. Should the league be revisiting the concept of depreciation and forced retirement ?  Do you think that player's careers should be somewhat longer ? (Eynhallow's question)

1.) Well, Isau did pretty good as far as point production, but still no deep playoff run.  I agree with @hedgehog337 in that there is no fucking way that should have happened given the draft class of S75.

2.)  I was watching the World Juniors.  It looked like Canada was firing on all cyllinders.

3.)  Good.  Got a rare chance to spend some time with family.

4.)  I would say a Grey Cup game that I attended in Regina.

5.)  Ya, Ontario is hit pretty hard.  Hospital capacity not so much, but still significant.

6.)  My own question !!  Ha !  Ya, I think players careers should be longer.  But there has to be some kind of limit so that the older players don't dominate for lengthy periods of time.  a move from 7 to 10 seasons I think would work out well, with increasingly more degradation.

1.  how the new year eve went for you?

2.  rate your hangover post NYE

3. do you have particular draftees you wanna see in Riga?

4. are you already bored without games?

5. do you have a faith in Riga making the playoffs next season?

6. do you have a multi?

1.  How the new year eve went for you?

Ya, well it was very calm.  Covid has affected a lot of our socialization.  So we guzzled up a young ocean of bubbly, watched the ball drop, and called everyone we knew who might still be awake.

2.  Rate your hangover post NYE

I was a bit dry and tired, but nothing major.  On a scale of 7.2 - 7.8.  I guess it would be a 7.3 (on the Richter Scale)

3. Do you have particular draftees you wanna see in Riga?

Pretty much anybody who can score.  That has been our downfall for a few seasons.  Maybe a meta player might be in order for a coup[le of seasons.  Maybe experiment with one in the VHLM/E to see if the meta theory works.

4. Are you already bored without games?

This is a topic about which I have written a few articles.  I passed this season, because it started to sound a lot like whining.  But, ya, the "off-season", even though it is really not off-season yet, can be interminably long for those not in the playoffs.  Ya, so there is that draft tournament, but I struggle to find the index for it and it really has no hype !!!

5. Do you have a faith in Riga making the playoffs next season?

C'mon @hedgehog337, you know better than to ask that question !!!  STHS will likely fuck us over once again, no matter what talent you bring in.  In fact, haven't we been down that road before ??  Anyway, this being my last season, whether it is in Riga or elsewhere, I sure would like to be on a team that has a deep playoff run

!

6. Do you have a multi?

Muahahaha!.  That does seen to be the burning question in the forums these days.  But the real question is if I have Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder) can I have an account for each of my 18 personalities ???

1.  How the new year eve went for you?

I spent it with  my gf and family and we were all in bed by 10:30PM. However, I did manage to stay awake until 12 and wake her up to let her know it was new years.

There was no hangover - so a solid 0/10 with 10 being basically dead.  

Yes but as the assistant GM I will never make that public :) I have been scouting and there are a few I have my eye on.

Very - however I do have some more scouting to do. Hopefully this offseason goes quicker than the last.

Yes - I have faith every year. Hopefully with a few FA signings and the young guns coming up we can be a solid team.

6. do you have a multi?

Its time for me to admit that I was actually Zimmers all along. 

Edited by kelvi

On 1/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, hedgehog337 said:

1.  how the new year eve went for you?

6. do you have a multi?

1. Largely uneventful, covid has everything shut down

2. I'd give it a 2/10. Stayed up decently late, but didn't drink any crap\

3. Bo Johansson, Ben Dahl, or Dazai Buddha would continue the Riga-Miami pipeline 😜

4. It's getting to that point, at least we have the lotto tourney to look forward to

5. Absolutely. The fresh blood will help

6. I can say with certainty that it will not be an issue in my camp

1. Do you think we need to draft another defenseman now that Connor Johnson is retired?

2. 3 of our S81 draftees already retired for one reason or another. Bad luck?

3. Why is winter the worst season?

4. The ex Riga player Justin Lose is about to win a whole lotta of awards. Happy for him?

5. What reaction did you have on banning of Cabe McJake?

6. Why is summer the best season?

1 hour ago, hedgehog337 said:

1. Do you think we need to draft another defenseman now that Connor Johnson is retired?

2. 3 of our S81 draftees already retired for one reason or another. Bad luck?

3. Why is winter the worst season?

4. The ex Riga player Justin Lose is about to win a whole lotta of awards. Happy for him?

5. What reaction did you have on banning of Cabe McJake?

6. Why is summer the best season?

1. Depends how the current ones do and develop

2. Kind of, gotta get past it though.

3. It's not.

4. Super happy for him yeah.

5. It was kind of sudden but he wasn't active a whole bunch.

6. It's not maybe.

1. Do you think we need to draft another defenseman now that Connor Johnson is retired? Eventually, but for next season we should be fine.

2. 3 of our S81 draftees already retired for one reason or another. Bad luck? The top 3 picks for Riga are still active. I think it's just the luck of the draw for lower rounds.

3. Why is winter the worst season? I don't mind winter to be honest.

4. The ex Riga player Justin Lose is about to win a whole lotta of awards. Happy for him? Would've been cooler if he won those with Riga.

5. What reaction did you have on banning of Cabe McJake? Not unexpected, he's been a troll for a while and not a funny one.

6. Why is summer the best season? A few years ago I would've said summer break, but I'm really not the biggest fan of summer now.