Season 67 Mock Draft Series | Part 4 | Round 3

Season 67 Mock Draft Series | 3rd Round 

Part 4

Previous Articles:

Part 1: Top 5

Part 2: Next 5

Part 3: Round 2

In case anyone missed it, above are the links to my previous parts to this S67 Mock Draft Series. In this installment, we cover the third round of this class. There are definitely some sleeper prospects and solid members in this round. This will be the last part of this mock draft series, thank you everyone for reading and support!

3.01  – Seattle Bears - W|23 – L|40 – OTL|9 :sea:

Previous Picks: Marleau (1), Funk (5), Jenton (8), Forest (11), Zoiderberg (17), LeGrande (18), Greene (20)

The Pick: Berocka Sundqvist- Left Wing - Mississauga Hounds @berocka

Analysis:  After cleaning up in the first two rounds of this mock draft, as seen above by the arsenal of prospects acquired, Seattle tops off the third round with another riser and someone who I had spotlighted early on as a potential sleeper in this class. Berocka Sundqvist is a 6'3 220 pound winger for the Mississauga Hounds who put up a very respectable 63 point season. Sundqvist is crafty with the puck and has a knack for scoring goals in clutch situations. If he continues to progress, he could prove to be the steal of this draft at the top of the third. 

3.02  – Riga Reign (via MAL) - W|42 – L|23 – OTL|7 :rig:

Previous Picks: Scott (9), Gles (14), Eagles (15)

The Pick: Andrei Mikhailov- Right Wing - San Diego Marlins @Big Mac

Analysis:  The Reign acquired this pick from Malmo for Bolt Vanderhuge and Mikka Pajari back in May and this will be the Reign's fourth pick in the top three rounds, with two more to come here. With this pick, the Reign select Andrei Mikhailov from the Marlins, after drafting two centerman with their first two picks in Michael Gary Scott and Dan Gles. Mikhailov or "Big Mac" is a towering force on the ice at 6'8. He does not play an overly physical game, which the typical Russian mold, but he is one of the purest goal scorers in the draft. He didn't get a huge chance to shine for San Diego this year, putting up only 17 goals, but he has a ton of untapped potential in regards to goal scoring. This kid could be a force on the wing with some playmaking centers for Riga. 

3.03  – Vancouver Wolves (via MOS) – W|39 – L|29 – OTL|4 :que: 

Previous Picks: TEAR (6), Johnson (16)

The Pick: Hugh Chan - Defense - Halifax 21st  @HughJas_

Analysis:  With the third pick in round 3, Vancouver steps up to the podium and selects Chinese defenseman, Hugh Chan from Halifax. Chan burst onto the VHLM scene after coming over from the local rinks in Hong Kong and signed a one year deal with Halifax for S66. He projects as a two-way defenseman who has great puck handling and passing abilities. He doesnt have the biggest shot from the point, but his breakout passes and hockey IQ are second to none in this class. In his full 72 game regular season for Halix, he scored 9 goals and added 41 assists. He also managed to produce 8 points in Halifax's 6 playoff games. While he may not be a household name at this point, he has continued to develop and climb draft boards over the past few weeks. 

3.04  – Calgary Wranglers (via TOR) – W|39 – L|28 – OTL|5 :cal:

Previous Picks: Burn (10)

The Pick: Brandon LeBlanc - Defense - Philadelphia Reapers @Psanchez55

Analysis:  The Wranglers had a very solid regular season record in S66, but unfortunately could not bring home a championship after an early round exit. We mocked the dynamic winger, Acyd Burn, to Calgary in the first round who should fit seamlessly. With the third round pick, Calgary takes the best defenseman available at this point in Brandon LeBlanc. The undersized defenseman (5'9, 185 lbs) had a solid season for the Reapers and is an absolute magician with the puck. His passing ability is up there with the top guns of this draft, while also being very responsible defensively. His stats this season wont "wow" you, but when you watch him play, you see the raw skill and hockey mind. This could be a value pick for Calgary in round 3. 

3.05  – Riga Reign (via NY) - W|42 – L|23 – OTL|7 :rig:

Previous Picks: Scott (9), Gles (14), Eagles (15), Mikhailov (22) 

The Pick: Kefka Palazzo - Defense - Saskatoon Wild @diamond_ace

Analysis: With their second pick of this round and fifth selection of the draft, Riga finally addresses defense and takes intriguing prospect Kefka Palazzo from the Saskatoon Wild. The former 24th overall selection in the VHLM Dispersal Draft via Japan brings some serious size to the Riga Reign here. Standing at 6'5 220 pounds, Palazzo is a threat on the ice at all times. Earlier this month, it was reported that Palazzo built a home outside of the Saskatoon arena, which is something the league hasn't seen before. Scouts describe him as a fascinating person and a solid VHL prospect. He may not have the high, high upside of some defenseman in this class, but he will bring a wide range of skills to each and every game.

3.06  – Vancouver Wolves – W|39 – L|29 – OTL|4 :que: 

Previous Picks: TEAR (6), Johnson (16), Chan (23)

The Pick: Scotty BigShotty - Center - Philadelphia @FerdaJets

Analysis: The Wolves are back on the clock in round three after taking Chinese defensman, Hugh Chan at number 23 overall. I think here Vancouver takes the best player on the board and for me right now that is Scotty BigShotty of the Reapers. BigShotty took a back seat on the Reapers to some of the star power they had on the roster, but did manage to put home 11 goals in his 72 games played. BigShotty was a standout in the WHL before being drafted into the VHLM last off-season and he holds the Calgary Hitmen record for rookie goals, passing former record holder Ryan Getzlaf. He plays a strong two-way game (Phil Marleau-lite) and I'm sure if he keeps with it he will develop a nice offensive skillset. 

3.07  – HC Davos - W|37 – L|27 – OTL|8 :dav:

Previous Picks: Martin (4), Tate (7), Van Lagen (19)

The Pick: Pierre Persson - Defense - San Diego Marlins @Dominus89

Analysis: At this point in the draft, teams are really looking for that diamond in the rough. Davos selects Swedish defenseman, Pierre Persson, here with the seventh pick in the third round. Persson signed a one-year deal with San Diego at the beginning of the season after missing the VHLM Dispersal Draft cutoff. In the regular season, he put up very good numbers for a defenseman with 9 goals and 48 assists. This point total was good for fifth best on the roster. Persson is more of a long-term project here. He wont step in immediately to the VHL and make an impact, but with another season of development in the VHLM (he is eligible for the S67 Dispersal Draft) he could end up being a very serviceable defenseman in the VHL. These are the guys you want to gamble on in the third round. 

3.08  – Helsinki Titans - W|55 – L|14 – OTL|3 :hel:

Previous Picks: None

The Pick: RJ Loris - Right Wing - Las Vegas Aces @RJMW

Analysis:  Another player I had earmarked as a potential sleeper in this draft class a month or so ago, Helsinki makes their first pick of the draft in winger RJ Lloris from Vegas. The Canadian-born winger possesses natural goal scoring talent, period. He previously played in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before joining the VHLM and shattered team records in his time there. To compliment his goal scoring touch, he also plays the game like a Tasmanian Devil, which can be a real treat to watch. Lloris scored 23 goals and 27 assists in the regular season for Las Vegas. With this being Helsinki's first pick in the draft, they are hoping to hit a homerun on Lloris. 

3.09  – Riga Reign (via NY) - W|42 – L|23 – OTL|7 :rig:

Previous Picks: Scott (9), Gles (14), Eagles (15), Mikhailov (22), Palazzo (25) 

The Pick: Koda Adok - Left Wing - Houston Bulls @trevmi

Analysis:  The Reign make their third and final selection of the round and pick up the first Houston Bull selected in this draft, Koda Adok. Adok led the Houston Bulls in scoring this season with 23 goals and 33 assists. Adok projects more as a playmaking winger than a big-time goal scorer at the VHL level. Similar to other prospects drafted in this round, Adok will need some seasoning before he makes the jump to the VHL. If he continues to put in the effort on and off the ice, Adok has plenty of ability to be an impact player in the VHL. 

3.10  – Helsinki Titans - W|55 – L|14 – OTL|3 :hel:

Previous Picks: Lloris (28)

The Pick: Thorvald Gunnarsson - Goalie - Halifax 21st @Saelven88

Analysis: Everyone knows that Helsinki is led by their elite goaltender, Alexander Pepper. However, at the end of the third round here, Thorvald Gunnarsson is the clear best player available and as far as I'm concerned, you can never have enough good goalies on the roster. Gunnarsson split games with fellow S67 draft prospect, Michael Johnson, and at times Gunnarsson was the better goalie for Halifax. He has a big frame at 6'6 225 pounds and can use it to cut off angles very effectively. He boasted a 27-7-3 record in his 43 games started for Halifax in the regular season and won his only game he started in the playoffs. Helsinki hopes to develop him in the minors and ultimately blossom into their starting goaltender down the road. 

27 minutes ago, Sullvino said:

3.02  – Riga Reign (via MAL) - W|42 – L|23 – OTL|7 :rig:

Previous Picks: Scott (9), Gles (14), Eagles (15)

The Pick: Andrei Mikhailov- Right Wing - San Diego Marlins @Big Mac

Analysis:  The Reign acquired this pick from Malmo for Bolt Vanderhuge and Mikka Pajari back in May and this will be the Reign's fourth pick in the top three rounds, with two more to come here. With this pick, the Reign select Andrei Mikhailov from the Marlins, after drafting two centerman with their first two picks in Michael Gary Scott and Dan Gles. Mikhailov or "Big Mac" is a towering force on the ice at 6'8. He does not play an overly physical game, which the typical Russian mold, but he is one of the purest goal scorers in the draft. He didn't get a huge chance to shine for San Diego this year, putting up only 17 goals, but he has a ton of untapped potential in regards to goal scoring. This kid could be a force on the wing with some playmaking centers for Riga. 

We made it.

2 hours ago, Sullvino said:

won his only game he started in the playoffs.

Actually I went 1-0-1.  Lost game 3 to Ottawa in 2OT.  Player card is incorrect for some reason.

I likely go earlier than this, not that I deserve to (this spot in the draft is about right in terms of where I should go). There's something to be said for the safe pick though, and you don't get much safer than a Mini Commie. So I can be pretty sure I'll end up drafted well before I should be, and then right after the draft, everyone will be writing "biggest bust" articles about me because of it.

2 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

I likely go earlier than this, not that I deserve to (this spot in the draft is about right in terms of where I should go). There's something to be said for the safe pick though, and you don't get much safer than a Mini Commie. So I can be pretty sure I'll end up drafted well before I should be, and then right after the draft, everyone will be writing "biggest bust" articles about me because of it.

Bust confirmed

35 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

your player one of my fav names in the draft - for what that is worth. Really rolls of the tongue 

2 hours ago, Sullvino said:

your player one of my fav names in the draft - for what that is worth. Really rolls of the tongue 

Also, the building the home is kind of a reference to the game as well, since his final boss tower is an actual pile of trash and building scraps from other locations in the game

51 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Also, the building the home is kind of a reference to the game as well, since his final boss tower is an actual pile of trash and building scraps from other locations in the game

Yeah clearly didnt pick up on all that lol