2nd player available for everyone and lowering donation costs?

zepheter

I wasn’t sure if there was a previous thread for this because I couldn’t find it(if it’s there I’m sorry that I’m an idiot). I know that second players were just recently removed, but I feel like this would be more inclusive. I’m pretty much sitting at my desk 1/3 of the day with absolutely nothing to do and thought maybe a second player would help take up some of that time. Of course, there are no longer second players, and even if there were it wouldn’t be available to someone like me. So I came up with a model to determine how much someone should have to pay in order to get a second player or continue to only use one. This also includes changed cost of donations per season.

One player: MAX $16/season, $4 per upgrade. 

Two players: MAX $25/season with player purchase, MAX $20/season without player purchase, $5 for 2nd player, $2.50 per upgrade($10 total per player). 

The reason I lowered the total donation amount is so that it entices more people to actually donate, while the second option allows more people to get a second player without taking a financial burden on them. At first glance, you might ask “why would someone spend $16/season for one when they can spend $20/season for two?” Well, the $5 really adds up (on average every 4 seasons). Someone with one player spends $128 in one player’s career. While someone with two spends $170(or $165 depending on whether or not they make a second player in their final season). 

Anyways, let me know if you love, like, dislike, or hate this. If there is something similar or identical to this you should link it, as this is a relatively barebones suggestion. And if there is anything you would like (me) to add just let me know. 

Edit: I’ve got the answers I came for. It’s pretty clear PP2 will not come back. I simply brought up the decreased donation costs because it would get more people to donate. I was kinda looking at it from a business perspective and when I was typing this I forgot that it isn’t a business and the option is really only meant to be there if someone really wants to donate. 

Edited by zepheter
Thanks for the feedback

• Commissioner

People don’t have to donate $20, you can donate whatever you want. The incentives exist in $5 increments up to $20 but by no means are they saying you have to do anything. The only reason most do $20 is because it offers an extra incentive over the lower increments but it’s not a requirement by any means.

And no, we have no intention of bringing back PP2, at least I don’t and I know @Will and others agree with me. It did nothing but artificially inflate our player numbers (which we don’t need with plenty of players to fill rosters) and burn out our members.

0% Project Player 2 returns in any shape or form. There were way too many negatives associated with it - the players often ended up on the same team, it resulted in higher than average burnout, etc...

I also don't love the idea of paying for an extra player. Donations are meant to give you some TPE, but not a huge advantage or any extra features.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, flyersfan1453 said:

I also don't love the idea of paying for an extra player. Donations are meant to give you some TPE, but not a huge advantage or any extra features.

Also this.

Donations help us run the site and are super important but the league is ultimately free to play and will remain that way. If we start adding huge bonuses to donating then we are telling members that if they can’t pay they shouldn’t bother being here which isn’t true. As it stands you gain a bonus but nothing more. I haven’t donated in 3 or 4 players and I’ve been quite fine.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Enorama said:

Nah.

If you're looking for more to do, join the other leagues (EFL and SBA), or the other hockey leagues (GOMHL and SHL).

Or just offer your time to the league tbh. There’s always interesting spreadsheets and stuff to make or jobs to get done. Back when we had to manually do everything it was rare for members to get paid for anything. If you enjoy the league then work to make it better. You shouldn’t need TPE compensation for that.

9 hours ago, Beketov said:

Or just offer your time to the league

I tried and was unsuccessful. To start, wanna help out with keeping the VHLM HoF up to date but I was told that I would need some sort of permission to edit the forum and I haven’t yet earned that trust. I mean it’s not that I want gratification for everything. Job availability doesn’t seem to be a theme when it comes to newer players like me because like I said before, we haven’t quite earned that trust. Hell, I don’t even care if I get paid for a VHL job. I’m gonna be around anyways to do my weekly tasks. With regards to the “interesting spreadsheets and stuff to make and jobs to get done,” I’d really love some ideas because I don’t know what someone hasn’t already done. Navigating the forum has been a problem for me since I joined and maybe that’s my fault because I suck at using the forum. And I’m not sure which jobs you’re referring to that anybody can do because I’ve never heard of that thread. 

6 hours ago, Krice13 said:

Try to become a GM.

I’m currently applying for WJC and have yet to receive feedback since they’re probably still deciding who they want. 

10 hours ago, zepheter said:

I’m pretty much sitting at my desk 1/3 of the day with absolutely nothing to do

I am running a cricket league at the moment we are in fairly early stages and are trying to make it bigger and better. If you want to do something with your spare time feel free to join in. You do not need to know anything about the sport I am currently teaching a lot of VHLers the rules.

• Commissioner
21 minutes ago, zepheter said:

I tried and was unsuccessful. To start, wanna help out with keeping the VHLM HoF up to date but I was told that I would need some sort of permission to edit the forum and I haven’t yet earned that trust. I mean it’s not that I want gratification for everything. Job availability doesn’t seem to be a theme when it comes to newer players like me because like I said before, we haven’t quite earned that trust. Hell, I don’t even care if I get paid for a VHL job. I’m gonna be around anyways to do my weekly tasks. With regards to the “interesting spreadsheets and stuff to make and jobs to get done,” I’d really love some ideas because I don’t know what someone hasn’t already done. Navigating the forum has been a problem for me since I joined and maybe that’s my fault because I suck at using the forum. And I’m not sure which jobs you’re referring to that anybody can do because I’ve never heard of that thread. 

Worst case do something without permission and send it to someone who has permission to post. There are certain sections that contain most of the league history so letting a lot of people edit them could be detrimental; it’s nothing personal. If that’s what you want to do then have at it, no one is stopping you.

Most if the league spreadsheets on various topics can be found HereHere, or Here but there are a few others kicking around. Topics can be basically anything, for example I was curious what the longest shutout streak in league history was so I spent a few hours putting this together. When in doubt our resident historian @Victor knows basically everything that has been made before so just ask him if you’re worried something has been done.

And I didn’t really mean formal jobs, there’s no thread for formal jobs of the sort. I just meant you can kinda come up with stuff that interests you to help improve the league and see what sticks. For example I used to make themes back when skinning was easier to manage. Or more recently @DilIsPickle has taken to helping with portal coding or the whole start of the VSN which wasn’t formally approved at all, people just started by having fun with it. Jobs don’t always have to be posted as official things.

Basically the league is what you make of it. If you want to invest more time then invest more time. By all means I don’t think you need a second player to invest yourself in the league.