Imagining A 32-Team VHL

Corco

I58Po8O.jpg

Picture this; the year is 2050, VHL members who used to have players on the VHL Welfare Pension Plan are now on their own real-life Pension; @Victor is still in power; all is well. By this point in time, the VHL will have matched the NHL in terms of worldwide cultural influence, and over the years has managed to successfully expand to 32 teams, equally spread out into two conferences with two divisions in each. These are those new teams.

RfW7B2P.jpg

Team Location: Beijing, China
Possible Team Name(s): Red Stars
Primary Color: Red
Secondary Color: Gold
Tertiary Color: Black

Much like the irl KHL before it, the VHL will expand to China, sometime around S150, thanks to a massive influx of Chinese members in the seasons preceding it. China’s current totalitarian regime has fallen by that point in time, and the new Chinese members enjoy the VHL site among others in their newfound internet freedom, uninhibited by past firewalls.

Team Location: Cairo, Egypt
Possible Team Name(s): Pharaohs, Mummies
Primary Color: Gold
Secondary Color: Brown
Tertiary Color: Silver

The VHL makes a very controversial move (get used to it for this media spot), expanding to a location that really has no business having a hockey team, in one of the final stages of expansion. Expanding to Cairo gives the VHL it’s first ever African franchise, and hopes that the Cairo franchise will be the start of successful hockey in Africa.

Team Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Possible Team Name(s): Sultans
Secondary Color: Silver
Tertiary Color: Red

Thanks to massive demand from the ruling House of Al Falasi, the VHL embarks on it’s first true Middle-Eastern location. Despite massive human rights protests, the league approves the construction of the first ever 100,000+ seat hockey arena, thanks largely in part due to the Royal Family paying off the VHL Board of Governors.

Team Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Possible Team Name(s): Waves
Primary Color: Green
Secondary Color: Purple
Tertiary Color: Yellow

The VHL’s expansion to Cairo also brings a team to a city of a similar latitude, but different hemisphere; Rio.The city has a long history of sport, but none in hockey; that changes now. I have a feeling that Rio would actually somehow become a popular destination for VHLers, despite having the odds stacked up against them.

Team Location: Seoul, South Korea
Possible Team Name(s): Metropolitans/Soul
Primary Color: Purple
Secondary Color: Magenta
Tertiary Color: Blue

Of all the possible expansion locations in this article, I think Seoul is actually decently realistic; you can go so many possible ways with logos/colors/etc., I think it would be a lot of fun. I have a feeling that Seoul would also become a marquee destination for free agents and draftees in the future.

Team Location: Sydney, Australia
Possible Team Name(s): Kangaroos, Roos
Primary Color: Brown
Secondary Color: Tan

The VHL goes down under. Along with Seoul, I could also see this becoming a slightly realistic possible future expansion location for the VHL; I know we’ve actually had a few Australian members in the league (paging @BOOM™), so there could actually be something here.

Team Location: Tokyo, Japan
Possible Team Name(s): Samurai
Primary Color: Green
Secondary Color: Black

I think the VHL has been host to a multitude of members with asian descent other than tfong, but I could be wrong. Regardless, Japan is one of the more plausible locations in this media spot. I could totally see fong campaigning hard for it and getting a team in Tokyo before S125.

Team Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Possible Team Name(s): Minutemen 
Primary Color: Brown
Secondary Color: Navy Blue
Tertiary Color: Maroon

I’m actually a bit surprised to see that Boston has never had a VHL, or even VHLM team before; it’s the center of one of the largest hockey regions in the United States. I think we’d definitely see an expansion here if the VHL did somehow grow to 32 teams.

Team Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Possible Team Name(s): Skyliners
Primary Color: Gray
Secondary Color: Orange
Tertiary Color: Sky Blue

I could not for the life of me come up with a good name/colors for this team, but I knew that Chicago needed to have a team in the USA division. I know the VHL has tried to stray away from using cities that have real teams, but I don’t care, Chicago needs a team.

Team Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Possible Team Name(s): Miners/Mountaineers 
Primary Color: Navy Blue
Tertiary Color: Brown

To my knowledge, neither the VHL or VHLM has had a team in Colorado, but that will change when the league massively expands. I don’t really have much to say regarding the possible USA/Canada expansion locations, as most of them could actually be viable, and aren’t really interesting or humorous.

Team Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Possible Team Name(s): Mesas
Primary Color: Black
Secondary Color: Maroon
Tertiary Color: Gold

You could go a multitude of ways with the logo/coloring for a Los Angeles VHL team, and to be honest I’m not really satisfied with the ones I chose, but it is what it is. The VHLM has already hosted a team in Vegas, and if that was a success I don’t see how Los Angeles couldn’t be. 

Team Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Possible Team Name(s): Lumberjacks
Primary Color: Forest Green
Tertiary Color: Maroon

There may have been a past team in VHLM history, but I’m not 100% sure; I know Minot was close geographically, despite being in North Dakota, not Minnesota. Minnesota is one of the United States’ biggest hockey hotbeds, and the VHL would be remiss to not consider it as a location in a 32 team league.

Team Location: London, United Kingdom
Possible Team Name(s): Royals/Monarchs
Primary Color: Red
Secondary Color: Blue

How Victor has not decreed a team to move or expand to the U.K. yet is beyond me. We have a handful of members actually from there, and there has always been an interest in creating players hailing from the U.K. There’s no doubt in my mind that a London team would be a successful VHL endeavor. This could easily happen before S100. Get to it league management.

Team Location: Paris, France 
Possible Team Name(s): Chevaliers
Primary Color: Silver
Tertiary Color: Sky Blue

I have a feeling that the best part of this team would be the logos/coloring. I’m sensing a very Quebec Nordiques vibe for Paris, which would be pretty tight imo. I know we have a few French VHLers right now as well, but I could be wrong. This expansion happens pre-S110.

Team Location: Vasteras, Sweden
Possible Team Name(s): Iron Eagles
Secondary Color: Black

Did you really think I wasn’t going to include a comeback for the Iron Eagles in this article? There will always be VHL members who wish for Vasteras to return to the league; the controversy breeds discussion. Over time, the amount of members against Vasteras making a return dwindles, until the league announces that the Vasteras Iron Eagles will make a surprise return to the league for the leagues 100th season due to popular demand. And of course, in typical Vasteras fashion, the team will miraculously make a run to the cup in their 1st season back, only to lose in heartbreaking fashion, continuing what will still be the longest VHL cup-drought in history.

Team Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Possible Team Name(s): Prairie Dogs
Primary Color: Black
Tertiary Color: Gold

Edmonton is one of the last Canadian teams to join the VHL fray, doing so just before the league adds Cairo and Rio. Albertan VHLers rejoice. Yeah, the possible team name I chose may suck, but who cares?

Team Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Possible Team Name(s): Whalers
Primary Color: Gray
Secondary Color: Turquoise
Tertiary Color: Tan

Halifax does actually scream “vintage VHL” to me in terms of location. It fits along with the VHL’s love of niche cities compared to main ones, but is still populous enough that it isn’t TOO niche. I could see Halifax joining the league pre-S90.

Team Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Possible Team Name(s): Admirals
Primary Color: Navy Blue

Vasteras won’t be the only city getting its franchise back; Hamilton was the location of one of the first VHL cities, hosting the Hamilton Canucks. The franchise wasn’t too popular the first go-around, re-locating to become the current New York Americans, but I think Hamilton deserves a 2nd chance. They certainly can’t be called the Canucks again, as that franchise is currently New York, so I chose Admirals as a name; this would be extremely similar to the current situation regarding the Winnipeg Jets and Arizona Coyotes.

Team Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Possible Team Name(s): Musketeers
Primary Color: Indigo
Secondary Color: Yellow
Tertiary Color: Brown

I don’t think the Meute should have ever left Quebec City to be honest, everything about the franchise seemed to be crisp and cool. I wasn’t active at the time of it’s relocation though, so I don’t know what league-wide opinion was. Regardless, there should be a VHL franchise in Quebec.

Team Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Possible Team Name(s): Lakers
Primary Color: Blue
Secondary Color: Green

There’s probably a better Canadian VHL location than Winnipeg, but idk, I think the Manitoba capital would be a decent choice. It may not be “niche” enough to be added, but I think it stands a decent chance, plus I think the color scheme is pretty tight.

image.png

Edited by Corco

• 2 weeks later...