Season 39 Entry Draft 1st Mock Draft

Mike

Season39_4.png

I was planning on doing my first draft Season 39 Mock Draft this week until I saw three other people do one.  That made me sad at first and then happy since mock drafts are fun.  Ultimately the real emotion I felt was probably depression and demotivation as I couldn’t find the will to write once three of them were done.  I ultimately decided to just do welfare again this week but at the last second I said eh who cares I’m going to still kind of do my first draft mock anyway.

Below you will find the draft order as it would happen based on today’s standings and no changes to order from the draft lottery.  As that likely won’t happen as well as picks potentially being traded before the draft we’ll just have to assume all goes to plan at this point.  Rather than just doing a straight mock draft I’m going to incorporate the other 3 mocks that have been done so far and compile it with my thoughts.

1st Overall Helsinki (via QUE)

Jackson Miller – Greg

“Even though Beketov hasn’t had a “great” player in a while, I think Miller will be one of his better ones so this pick should be easy for the rebuilding Titans”

Tyson Stokes - Kyle

Ethan Osborne and Zhumbayev are extremely familiar and it would be a good foundation to keep some Titan history running through the current generation.”

Jackson Miller - Tyler

“Miller is the safest pick at number one and a franchise like Helsinki can begin their rebuild at full speed right away by adding a player with the potential of a Miller.”

I have to agree with Greg and Tyler here that Jackson Miller is going first overall.  Having done the Season 39 Draft Rankings since these draftees have declared he has been at the top the whole time.  In past articles I wrote about Miller being one of the best prospects with a potential question in long term success.  He has done nothing but move forward in the right direction thus far and has actually distanced himself from the pack over the course of the season.

2nd Overall Helsinki

Tyson Stokes - Greg
“Stokes has the TPE to be selected here and with the loyalty factored in it’s almost a lock he will be a Titan again.

Koji Yamazaki - Kyle

“To the surprise of nobody, it's obvious that GM Ethan Osborne has a soft spot for talented 1st generation VHL players.”

Koji Yamazaki - Tyler

“The Japanese stud defender is not a player with amazing pedigree or anything, but what he is hardworking, honest and the kind of person who you enjoy playing with.”

I’ve watched all season as Koji Yamazaki has risen up the VHL Draft Boards of every team in the league.  He is the ideal first generational talent along the likes of Lebeau, Draper, and Osborne of recent years.  If Helsinki ends up picking at 1 and 2 GM “STZ” might give this player the credit of going first overall.  Recent unexpected additions to the draft could really shake up this pick though.

3rd Overall Cologne

Andrew Erikson - Greg
“This was a tough pick to make on my end as I wasn’t sure who fit in with the Express but I ended up going with Erikson and I think he can help the Express in the long term.

James Faraday - Kyle

“Faraday will add some flare and draw to the Express which is exactly what they need in their current rebuild.”

Mikkel Boomgaarden - Tyler

If the Titans go with the Japanese player as I expect, then Boomgaarden will be the one who slips in to the palms of the Express and they will be the happier for it.”

Greg is calling for Erikson but I don’t think he will even make the top five in this crazy draft.  James Faraday is a recent addition that no one knows anything about other than his player agent is Higgins who has yet to miss.  Boomgaarden isn’t as flashy as Faraday or as new car smelly as Erikson but he is a great safe pick for the near future.

If Miller goes first and Yamazaki goes second then it is either Boomgaarden or Stokes for third.  However come draft day if Faraday is on the same path as what we’ve seen from Higgins’ players it will be nearly impossible to not take him if he is even available here.

4th Overall Calgary

Koji Yamazaki - Greg
“I believe Yamazaki will be one of the best players out of this draft and could go higher but right now I have him going to Calgary where he can help the Wranglers get back into the playoffs.”

Jackson Miller - Kyle

“Miller will be a first line player, but his risk of hitting his full potential is a little bit higher than those of Stokes and Faraday.”

Tyson Stokes - Tyler

“Glasser is an easy going, matriculate kind of leader and I believe Stokes fits in with his franchises plans better than anyone left.”

As stated previously Yamazaki just has that X-Factor that GMs want and he likely goes sooner.  Miller I agree has that extreme long term potential question mark but he has been and currently is the top prospect until proven otherwise.  When I think of Fever95 I do kind of think he somehow is similar to a Jason.  I’ll assume that Stokes is gone already and Calgary selects Mikkel Boomgaarden with the fourth pick.

5th Overall Helsinki (via SEA)

James Faraday – Greg

“Easy pick as the former Titans GM retires to join a draft with half of the first round pick belonging to the Titans.”

Devin Sundberg - Kyle

“Greg Harbinson's new player will be a fantastic addition to the Titans forward core which after this draft should likely be set going forward.”

Sam Keeler – Tyler
“Right now, he is strong power forward who is playing more of a physical style of game with Brampton, but as he develops and grows out of his shell and get used to his size, Sam will no doubt be a force in the VHL.”

Greg expects Faraday to fall or rise to fifth depending on how you look at it.  Kyle sees a lot of potential in newer draftees Sundberg one that many GMs don’t quite agree with yet.  Finally we have Tyler selecting Sam Keeler who has slowly climbed the draft board but isn’t quite yet a top five pick.

My selection is James Faraday he likely will go higher if we see the progression we expect.  There is a clear top five in Miller, Yamazaki, Stokes, Boomgaarden, and Faraday.  After that we have plenty of skaters that you can call borderline 5th-6th overall picks that would be top three in a weaker class.

Next week we might expand on this as many others are expect to bring us their 6-10 next week as well.  Currently here is my ranking for the next five available players.

6th Overall Cologne (via RIG) 
Devin Sunderberg

7th Overall Helsinki (via TOR)
Milos Denis

8th Overall Vasteras

Sam Keeler

9th Overall Helsinki (via DAV)

Andrew Erikson

10th Overall New York

Tyrone Williams

Edited by Mike

Up to 2nd in TPE, but still think I don't go top 3. Recreates deserve that honor and am fine with it tbh. I like the different scenarios that might play out and credit to everyone who has done a mock and discussed their thoughts on what might happen. Is it usual to hear from GM's about being drafted, or is that something that only happens closer to the actual draft?

• Commissioner

Up to 2nd in TPE, but still think I don't go top 3. Recreates deserve that honor and am fine with it tbh. I like the different scenarios that might play out and credit to everyone who has done a mock and discussed their thoughts on what might happen. Is it usual to hear from GM's about being drafted, or is that something that only happens closer to the actual draft?

Just because re-creates have more TPE to start with doesn't mean we deserve to go in the top spots more than anyone else.

I would argue that getting to 2nd in TPE above guys who started with significantly more than you makes you more deserving of the spot. You're proving that you can commit to making your player better. Not that I plan on stopping but if I did and you suddenly found yourself ahead of me in TPE, would I deserve to be drafted ahead of you because I started with more? I would argue you vastly deserve it more than me in that case because I started 50 (or something like that) ahead of you and you still caught up and surpassed me.

Don't under-value yourself. First gen players are usually the hidden gems of the draft even if re-creates get all the attention.

• Senior Admin

Yeah last season a couple GMs contacted me near draft time, but more the less just to chat and get to know me and my player a bit better

Like green said, you'll be fine either way because your players going to be badass :P