EU Semi-Finals, GM 5: Riga vs. Davos

JardyB10

1) Great job for Davos they beat us easily in this game and pretty much throughout the series.  They have been the best team in the EU Conference for a while yet again.  Last season I thought it would be close and this season really thought we had them.

2) This was on paper the best Riga team I've put together ever our worst D-man was Phil at 300 TPE resulting in only 9 min average for CPU Dmen playing time.  Offense was even better with 7 forwards we only had about 6 minutes per game of CPU forwards.  KJA (D3vilsfire) at over 250TPE being our worst forward.  I've never been part of a more active locker-room in terms of people and updating over the last two seasons.  I expect to never have that experience in this league ever again in terms of the sheer number we have had.  After the trade for Clifford with our new lines we were finally clicking for some reason nothing worked for us all season.  We ended the season on a really high note passed Vasteras after being over 10 points behind and beat the Dynamo in our last 3 games vs them.

3) To lose like this and how this season has gone is very demoralizing and put me into a really bad place for being in this league.  We've seen it before and while for nearly 40 seasons this league still goes strong but I'm reminded of how just imperfect STHS is.  We've had teams win in the past with like 5 super forwards 2 d-man and a goalie.  They play CPU players nearly half the time but it didn't matter.  STHS NHL leagues work with 4 lines but having a depth team just doesn't seem to work in the VHL.  You would think when a line of 70+ overall players get put onto the ice vs a bunch of 40 attribute CPU players you'd see some one sided hockey with a ton of shots not even goals the goalie can still play great but when our team struggles at 5 offense during the season and playoffs to have more than 25 shots doesn't make sense to me.

4)  The sudden switch between regular season and playoffs again while consistent for as long as I can remember really just makes me hate either STHS or the "slider" that apparently Jardy sets for playoffs.  Things just seem to be a lot weirder in games during the playoffs and not in a good way.

S38 Playoffs: 18.69 PIM/average

S38 Season: 10:30 PIM/average

S37 Playoffs: 16:92 PIM/average

S37 Season: 10.95/average

When some teams average almost 1/2 the game in the penalty box where is the fun in that players getting ejected from multiple fights.

I dont know it just really sucks to have 12 people updating for 2 seasons and not even being close.  For all I know we put together a considerably worse team next season the worst of the last 3 seasons and somehow end up doing better.

Edited by Mike

1) Great job for Davos they beat us easily in this game and pretty much throughout the series.  They have been the best team in the EU Conference for a while yet again.  Last season I thought it would be close and this season really thought we had them.

2) This was on paper the best Riga team I've put together ever our worst D-man was Phil at 300 TPE resulting in only 9 min average for CPU Dmen playing time.  Offense was even better with 7 forwards we only had about 6 minutes per game of CPU forwards.  KJA (D3vilsfire) at over 250TPE being our worst forward.  I've never been part of a more active locker-room in terms of people and updating over the last two seasons.  I expect to never have that experience in this league ever again in terms of the sheer number we have had.  After the trade for Clifford with our new lines we were finally clicking for some reason nothing worked for us all season.  We ended the season on a really high note passed Vasteras after being over 10 points behind and beat the Dynamo in our last 3 games vs them.

3) To lose like this and how this season has gone is very demoralizing and put me into a really bad place for being in this league.  We've seen it before and while for nearly 40 seasons this league still goes strong but I'm reminded of how just imperfect STHS is.  We've had teams win in the past with like 5 super forwards 2 d-man and a goalie.  They play CPU players nearly half the time but it didn't matter.  STHS NHL leagues work with 4 lines but having a depth team just doesn't seem to work in the VHL.  You would think when a line of 70+ overall players get put onto the ice vs a bunch of 40 attribute CPU players you'd see some one sided hockey with a ton of shots not even goals the goalie can still play great but when our team struggles at 5 offense during the season and playoffs to have more than 25 shots doesn't make sense to me.

4)  The sudden switch between regular season and playoffs again while consistent for as long as I can remember really just makes me hate either STHS or the "slider" that apparently Jardy sets for playoffs.  Things just seem to be a lot weirder in games during the playoffs and not in a good way.

S38 Playoffs: 18.69 PIM/average

S38 Season: 10:30 PIM/average

S37 Playoffs: 16:92 PIM/average

S37 Season: 10.95/average

When some teams average almost 1/2 the game in the penalty box where is the fun in that players getting ejected from multiple fights.

I dont know it just really sucks to have 12 people updating for 2 seasons and not even being close.  For all I know we put together a considerably worse team next season the worst of the last 3 seasons and somehow end up doing better.

There's two obvious fails here.

The first being you set your sliders to 5 offense? lulz

Second, he has the rivalry setting set to 5 between Davos and Riga which increases the penalty minutes a lot. Should he do it? No, it usually makes the better team lose from what I've seen, but it's not like he changed it all of a sudden (well likely not, but he may have for increased riggery).

It's K I'm a Philadelphia fan I'm used to it by now.

lol Leaf fan here... 

Well honestly that was the shittiest way I've ever gotten eliminated in the playoffs... and that's happened quite a bit to me. The Knight Curse lives on.

Davos, up until that final game it was one of the best series I can remember. All games were close and the intensity and hatred of either sides make it a blast.

Until this game, which fucking blew chunks of walrus sperm up a squid's asshole.

Anyway, good luck in the finally. I want to see the naked Naomi Young dance in the lockerroom though please. 

To Riga: it's been a blast but it's time to retire. :autism:

There's two obvious fails here.

The first being you set your sliders to 5 offense? lulz

Second, he has the rivalry setting set to 5 between Davos and Riga which increases the penalty minutes a lot. Should he do it? No, it usually makes the better team lose from what I've seen, but it's not like he changed it all of a sudden (well likely not, but he may have for increased riggery).

The Dynamo also run 5 offensive strategy.

Riga-Davos have always had maximum rivalry, I think even before I was in the league. (earliest source). NYA-CAL, SEA-TOR, and VAS-HEL also have rivalries, but I believe those were implemented S19, after sterling updated to a new version of STHS. Also when we expanded I naturally made QUE-COL rivals. In the past I have increased rivalry to other random teams just for playoffs (particularly the finals), but I've long quit doing that because people were confused and bitchy.

I don't know if Mike's PIM stats were for Riga the entire season or just vs. Davos, but I'm assuming it's the former, and the rivalry setting is indeed why.

At any rate, I can't say with any degree of confidence that rivalry setting favours one team or the other. As a matter of fact I just simmed 20 exhibition games, 10 with 5 rivalry and 10 with none. In the 10 games with max rivalry, Riga won five and Davos won five. In the 10 games with no rivalry, Davos won nine and Riga won one. Davos was the away team for all 20 games, so I decided to run the same test with Davos as the home team. In the 10 games with maximum rivalry, Riga won seven and Davos won three. Without rivalry, it was split five each. Almost all the games were as close as these playoff games were.

In conclusion, I don't really think it makes a difference. If anything the rivalry favours Riga, likely because they have a deeper team and thus a better powerplay and penalty kill. But they lost 4-1 here so that might not be true either.

Bottom line is STHS is a big dice roll, and always has been. Usually it follows the odds, but sometimes (particularly in playoffs with a smaller sample) it doesn't. I feel like I understand the frustration as well as anybody, I haven't won a Cup since CAL G's second or third season. Most the losses have come in the finals, when I'm on regular season championship winning teams, which I feel is even worse. And I have to inflict it on myself, which really is even worse, but I do it anyway because I'm not a faggot. Plus I'm too lazy. I didn't even test sim or tweak lines for this series, which is the one honest advantage I have over most people.

Tl;dr: riggery and magic

I thought trying to re-create a NY rivalry would be fun and I joke about how bad they are but Seattle Mike please STFU. Your team isn't even worthy of playoffs this season and you guys chirp every game like you good. It starts at the top with your GM I guess when you accept losers at the top it breeds failure. You know what they say shit rolls down hill and I guess in this case losers at the top have spawned losers across the whole team really just you. Now get over yourselves and let the big boys play.

:P