2014 World Cup

Victor

Don't knock Chile. They're the 12th ranked team and played against Spain last time and IIRC, gave them a pretty good run. Ultimately, I think Spain/Netherlands/Chile is stronger than Germany/Ghana/Portugal/USA. But, I could see it the other way around as well.

I don't but that's solely because the 4 teams in group G are all good teams ranked in the top 25 in the world. There really is no fact that can tell you that B group is better.

Netherlands/Spain are powerhouses. Chile is still a one-man show and Australia….is the worst team in this tourney.

I don't but that's solely because the 4 teams in group G are all good teams ranked in the top 25 in the world. There really is no fact that can tell you that B group is better.

Netherlands/Spain are powerhouses. Chile is still a one-man show and Australia….is the worst team in this tourney.

If it counts, I think it's close and first instinct told me to put G as toughest. However, the Spain/Netherlands factor and my respect for Chile pushed me in the other direction.

If it counts, I think it's close and first instinct told me to put G as toughest. However, the Spain/Netherlands factor and my respect for Chile pushed me in the other direction.

Yes but you aren't really looking at the fact Australia is a wash away, which gives G the upper hand. Because G is all quality teams

Kendrick underestimating Chile, dark horse imo.

I realize they are. But to say a group of 3 strong teams is better than a team of 4 strong teams is kind of stupid too.

• Admin

Nigeria struggled at the last World Cup and against Burkina Faso, Bosnia will have a similar desire to win in their first appearance on the big stage. That said, I am sceptical about African football in general so I'll try not to judge them beforehand too much. Key point though, for any of the the two teams to qualify from that group is that they're next to France, the great seeded team of Switzerland, and god knows what else, so that's definitely an opportunistic area of the draw.

As for the group of death argument, you can't call out Chile as a one-man team (they at least are a two-man one, with Sanchez and Vidal) when Group G contains Portugal.

Portugal is far from a one-man or two-man team though. People look at Ronaldo and think he is the only piece. He is the main piece but they have many guys who are good.

• Admin

The quality of the players behind Ronaldo is at best equal to those behind Vidal and Sanchez. Neither team are true title contenders but they are equals, so while Spain and Germany cancel each other out, so do Portugal and Chile. Netherlands are superior to Ghana and while USA trumps Australia, it's really about preferring 1 top side and 3 decent or 2 top sides and 1 decent.

To be honest, who cares? Both will be equally enjoyable, as will Group D and likely several of the groups people are discarding.

The quality of the players behind Ronaldo is at best equal to those behind Vidal and Sanchez. Neither team are true title contenders but they are equals, so while Spain and Germany cancel each other out, so do Portugal and Chile. Netherlands are superior to Ghana and while USA trumps Australia, it's really about preferring 1 top side and 3 decent or 2 top sides and 1 decent.

To be honest, who cares? Both will be equally enjoyable, as will Group D and likely several of the groups people are discarding.

Ya, I'm looking forward to all the matchups. World Cup >>>

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm pissed at the USA group. On the other hand, Ivory Coast finally has something they can work with. Japan's not a cake team but I expect Ivory Coast to push them and perhaps overtake them for 2nd behind Colombia.

Fuck Portugal. They lost to Israel and can be beaten. We're due against Ghana.

Please take it easy against us German-folks.

Portugal can be beaten, but they'll have to be off their game against us. I think we have a better shot against Portugal than Ghana, really. I think it's possible we can sneak out of the group (2nd- never going to finish higher than Germany) but I think it's also possible we get 0 points. Realistically, I'll go 2 points (draw with Portugal and Ghana) and 3rd in the group (Germany wins, whoever of Portugal and Ghana beats the other gets 2nd).

Fuck Portugal. They lost to Israel and can be beaten. We're due against Ghana.

Please take it easy against us German-folks.

It's not that we don't want too, but we always go into these tournaments pissed off. (ex. At Prince Boateng) So we show no remorse ever.

World Cup>>Germany>>All

cant wait to rock my Muller jersey every game day. 

Get a new one? Or rocking the old one. I'm thinking of buying a Gotze new kit

Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Spain
Chile
Netherlands
Australia

Colombia
Ivory Coast
Japan
Greece

Uruguay
Italy
England
Costa Rica

Switzerland
France
Ecuador
Honduras

Argentina
Bos & Herz
Nigeria
Iran

Germany
Portugal
USA
Ghana

Belgium
Russia
S Korea
Algeria

How I think the groups will play out

Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Spain
Chile
Netherlands
Australia

Colombia
Ivory Coast
Japan
Greece

Uruguay
Italy
England
Costa Rica

Switzerland
France
Ecuador
Honduras

Argentina
Bos & Herz
Nigeria
Iran

Germany
Portugal
USA
Ghana

Belgium
Russia
S Korea
Algeria

How I think the groups will play out

Spot on. Only two changes I could see happen is Japan overcoming Ivory Coast and Netherlands overcoming Chile.

Spot on. Only two changes I could see happen is Japan overcoming Ivory Coast and Netherlands overcoming Chile.

Ivory Coast will get out of that group, I'd bet money on it, they've been waiting too long to finally get a decent group to screw it up now that they have one.

Netherlands/Chile is a possibility- I think Chile will have an advantage on their home continent, but Netherlands are always tough. Not entirely sure USA finishes above Ghana either, but that's irrelevant as neither 3 nor 4 advance. Other one I can see being close is Nigeria/Bos & Herz, but I think Bos & Herz have a slight edge.

• 5 months later...

Put $300 bucks for Germany to win the whole thing at +600 odds which means I would get $1800 if they win.. Is my first legitimate gambling attempt so I hope they win! Your boys better come through for me, Kendrick! I'll donate $100 bucks to the VHL if they do. ;)

Put $300 bucks for Germany to win the whole thing at +600 odds which means I would get $1800 if they win.. Is my first legitimate gambling attempt so I hope they win! Your boys better come through for me, Kendrick! I'll donate $100 bucks to the VHL if they do. ;)

Haha they better or else Joggy gets canned. Bender has now been ruled out because of injury though, but our midfield is deep. Khedira, Lahm and Bastian are all banged up now though so I hope they heal quickly. That being said I think we got a good team.

Semi-Related: Many people don't realize that the first game between Brazil and Croatia actually has a significant interest of many. Brazil's CB Dante will be going head to head against Croatia's Mario Mandzukic (Bayern Munich teammate), Ivica Olic (Former Munich teammate) and of course many others. The thing to note is Mario has had a falling out in Bayern and will most likely be leaving in the next couple months (possibly to Chelsea for Luiz). Croatia is no slouch, this team (along with Belgium) are a dark horse.

• Admin

Suarez injured, might be back in time. Shame if he's not fit, always good to see the top performers all, well, perform.

From the start I felt it would be England v Uruguay for the second spot, this gives England more hope. Granted, hope is the worst thing that can happen to England.

• Admin

Also

The thing to note is Mario has had a falling out in Bayern and will most likely be leaving in the next couple months (possibly to Chelsea for Luiz). 

Saw the rumour earlier today and now it has been confirmed: Luiz is off to PSG. Somehow, he has become the most expensive defender ever but I won't complain, Chelsea get amazing value in a deep position.

I have seen the Mandzukic rumour repeatedly though, not for Luiz, but I'm sure he will leave.

Also

Saw the rumour earlier today and now it has been confirmed: Luiz is off to PSG. Somehow, he has become the most expensive defender ever but I won't complain, Chelsea get amazing value in a deep position.

I have seen the Mandzukic rumour repeatedly though, not for Luiz, but I'm sure he will leave.

Oh he'll leave. The only thing is Bayern wants a CB in return (more rare to wish for a player in return like hockey). 

U.S.A. is going to win it all, because AMERIUCCCAAAA!

You joke, but the betting odds for them are so good I might lay down a bit of money tbh. Something like 150/1 lol.