Team Tags for the Forums

Plate

Not as controversial as eating corn without butter, salt and pepper. Just add a tag for people that are part of locker rooms. You can tag VSN, Commish, BoG, all those good guys. But you can't tag people that are part of locker rooms and honestly it doesn't make sense. If I make a media spot that mentions my team in it you BET I want them in on the action. This would also help the rightless AGMs who make press conference questions. So they can, you know, ping their team in the forums to let them know that press conference questions are up. 

From a while ago: 

We already talked about this but this is for anyone else who would like to see why this didn't end up being a thing. Seems like a lot of manual effort.

I think it make sense that its not a thing actually. Forum roles are not automated so imagine having someone keeping track of all VHLM waiver claims, trades, drafts, UFA.... ugh I would pity them.

Edited by Domg5

3 hours ago, Domg5 said:

I think it make sense that its not a thing actually. Forum roles are not automated so imagine having someone keeping track of all VHLM waiver claims, trades, drafts, UFA.... ugh I would pity them.

Could easily look at having a subscription to different teams; where you the player can activate or deactivate once you have either moved on from the team or simple don't want to be pinged by 12-14 different pings every week. But I agree that I would like to see this feature as I would like to see players on my team directed to my posts and be directed to theirs since I am sure I am missing a ton of interesting information and reads from my current team mates. 

4 hours ago, Sonnet said:

Adding onto this to say that some kind of team display along with the user's profile picture and info would be wonderful. I believe it's possible to display clubs that the user is in- might bring some more motivation to use and manage clubs.

I also think this would be a great idea.

I would also like to have a link to the actually players that each member currently is building since I like to know who I am talking too player wise as well as manager wise.

5 hours ago, dlamb said:

Is there any way to have the GMs update their own teams? Much like adding/removing players from Forum LR.

tenor.gif

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Could easily look at having a subscription to different teams; where you the player can activate or deactivate once you have either moved on from the team or simple don't want to be pinged by 12-14 different pings every week.

“Easily” is a bit of an odd term for it though when it’s a feature that physically doesn’t exist. We didn’t create the forum base and it’s features, we just work with what we have. So it may sound like an easy thing but what you describe isn’t something that physically exists. The group mention feature is quite limited. Not only does it only work with groups (which need to be manually set per user in the admin CP) but there’s no way to “unsubscribe” without someone going in and removing you from said group.

Ultimately it’s a feature that has been requested many times and I understand the want but it’s not worth the ridiculous amount of manual labour required. Groups are actually how locker rooms used to be handled and it was a nightmare to manually change over everyone, let alone with 3 times the amount of teams and members we used to have. The theory may be solid but in practice it’s not worth the work.

32 minutes ago, Beketov said:

it’s a feature that physically doesn’t exist

Since you are using Invision to run the forums the feature does exist (but I am not sure which versus of the forums are being run here.) But It fall under Clubs where an user or club owner determines who has access via public, private, open or closed club membership. How it works exactly, That I don't know since I have never used this forum system before and cannot be bothered to research that much into an topic that I was simply thumbing up the idea.

I am assuming this is how the league is keeping the different grouping conversations private and maybe this is where your comment about manually adding members.

Either way I like the idea if possible to implement but with limited amount of effort for all involved.

*edit but that is also different from tagging as being discussed. As that is sub-forums with membership/groups.

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Since you are using Invision to run the forums the feature does exist (but I am not sure which versus of the forums are being run here.) But It fall under Clubs where an user or club owner determines who has access via public, private, open or closed club membership. How it works exactly, That I don't know since I have never used this forum system before and cannot be bothered to research that much into an topic that I was simply thumbing up the idea.

I am assuming this is how the league is keeping the different grouping conversations private and maybe this is where your comment about manually adding members.

Either way I like the idea if possible to implement but with limited amount of effort for all involved.

*edit but that is also different from tagging as being discussed. As that is sub-forums with membership/groups.

Clubs are how we handle the forum locker rooms yes, at least for the teams that haven’t completely killed them. However as you said in the edit, the clubs feature and the group mention are two completely different things. We can’t have the teams be taggable without adding each of the 28 teams as a group and manually adding each user to the team in which they belong.

If you're adding an image under user profiles on posts you'd have to get someone to make images or tags for each team. Then you need to find where to add the code in the forums html for each group. Maybe there is a way to have groups updated by the portal rosters?@Sonnet @Beketov @Plate

• Commissioner
25 minutes ago, Frank said:

If you're adding an image under user profiles on posts you'd have to get someone to make images or tags for each team. Then you need to find where to add the code in the forums html for each group. Maybe there is a way to have groups updated by the portal rosters?@Sonnet @Beketov @Plate

The forum API is incredibly limited, we can basically have notifications but as far as I’m aware you can’t get another site to mess with stuff in the forum ACP, it simply doesn’t exist. I could be wrong but that’s my understanding.

• Commissioner
44 minutes ago, Beketov said:

The forum API is incredibly limited, we can basically have notifications but as far as I’m aware you can’t get another site to mess with stuff in the forum ACP, it simply doesn’t exist. I could be wrong but that’s my understanding.

Actually... this might be possible. 

• Commissioner
22 minutes ago, Josh said:

I would love to be proven wrong. Go blow my mind Josh :P

If we could have groups set via the portal that could actually mean we could kill the clubs feature and have traditional locker room forums again which would be convenient, wouldn’t need to pass ownership around, would just need to put the GM in the right group and give them mod powers over their forum.

I know this isn't what's being discussed, but it was absolutely awful to have to change the LR permissions back in the day, especially since you had to control + click the permission groups to add another in order to not accidently remove them from their other groups.

It would take 2 people to run a draft - 1 to actually do the draft and the other to just follow along with permissions...or else you're stuck with doing them all afterwards.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Josh if you can get this working then you get all the credit.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

I would love to be proven wrong. Go blow my mind Josh :P

If we could have groups set via the portal that could actually mean we could kill the clubs feature and have traditional locker room forums again which would be convenient, wouldn’t need to pass ownership around, would just need to put the GM in the right group and give them mod powers over their forum.

One thing with this though is that I'd prefer not to have alumni removed from the LR, as we have older members pop in from time to time to comment and chat. Would the GM still be able to manually add users back in?

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

One thing with this though is that I'd prefer not to have alumni removed from the LR, as we have older members pop in from time to time to comment and chat. Would the GM still be able to manually add users back in?

I think removals would be manual across the board. Probably just something under manage teams.

• Commissioner

So after some initial fumbling (IPB sucks) with a proof of concept, I can confirm that it is possible to have the Portal manage members groups and will work with the Blues on what a full solution will look like.