The One about the Third League

Beketov

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Did you read the announcement at all?

shit okay i misread i thought it said we would be using all the old european teams and voting on which 6 others we would like to see

• Commissioner
Just now, GrittyIsKing09 said:

shit okay i misread i thought it said we would be using all the old european teams and voting on which 6 others we would like to see

I got that from the other 3 times you said it :P

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I got that from the other 3 times you said it :P

lol i kept pressing the button because it didn't say saving and it just duped it a bunch sorry haha

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, GrittyIsKing09 said:

lol i kept pressing the button because it didn't say saving and it just duped it a bunch sorry haha

It’s fine, I just deleted the extras

20 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean it’s not much different than the players who go up at 250 right now. You trade a worse rookie season for some extra stats.

But in the case of a player who's at 350 and has the choice to move up to the VHL or stay down in the EVL one season. Moving up directly means you'll have a worse rookie season, but also that your depreciation will essentially kick in a season earlier, so you'll peak early and lower. I'd have to run the numbers, but I suppose it'll be hard to be at 900+ TPA throughout depreciation.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the only advantage to skipping evil altogether is the bragging rights for getting to 648 GP. Oh, and not having to suffer under the wrath of the Victator 2.0.

Edited by McWolf

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, McWolf said:

But in the case of a player who's at 350 and has the choice to move up to the VHL or stay down in the EVL one season. Moving up directly means you'll have a worse rookie season, but also that your depreciation will essentially kick in a season earlier, so you'll peak early and lower. I'd have to run the numbers, but I suppose it'll be hard to be at 900+ TPA throughout depreciation.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the only advantage to skipping evil altogether is the bragging rights for getting to 648 GP. Oh, and not having to suffer under the wrath of the Victator 2.0.

Bragging rights and extra stats are still something if people want that route. The intention is for everyone to go through the VHLE so we didn’t want to make it too advantageous to skip but there is some benefit present.

Just now, Beketov said:

Bragging rights and extra stats are still something if people want that route. The intention is for everyone to go through the VHLE so we didn’t want to make it too advantageous to skip but there is some benefit present.

Yeah, despite all that I'm probably still gunning for it haha

my only concern is the you cant play in the VHL if you are not at 350. I had someone last season asking me to play up even tho he wasnt at 250 and i had the space so i called him up. Why wouldnt it be possible for someone that wants to go up and the VHL team has the roster space?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Hex Universe said:

My question would be, how many players in each gen are potentially gonna be in the league for two or maybe even three seasons?

Hard to say for each gen but based on our math there’s likely around 66 players that would fit into the bracket which lines up well for 6 teams.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

Hard to say for each gen but based on our math there’s likely around 66 players that would fit into the bracket which lines up well for 6 teams.

My only worry is, which I'm sure has been thought about, is the potential of having to expand the league one or two seasons in to accommodate all the players with the backlog.

15 minutes ago, Esso2264 said:

my only concern is the you cant play in the VHL if you are not at 350. I had someone last season asking me to play up even tho he wasnt at 250 and i had the space so i called him up. Why wouldnt it be possible for someone that wants to go up and the VHL team has the roster space?

I think it's more important to give that space to the clickers ~400-600 TPE who had trouble signing with teams in Free Agency this off season than the super-active rookie at 250. Let that kid tear it up against people his own skill for a season in a minor league that's more competitive than the VHLM (and not drag your big league club down with a 250 TPE vs a 1000 TPA player)

2 hours ago, Beketov said:
2 hours ago, McWolf said:

I mean it’s not much different than the players who go up at 250 right now. You trade a worse rookie season for some extra stats.

It's almost like two rookie-stat seasons because that final season is going to be brutal between regression and retiring-and-updating-your-new-player.

I think there'll be a new meta where people find the optimal time to retire-and-recreate so that their new player is only in the VHLM while their old player is still in the VHL. They'll bust chops to get to that 200 TPE marker by draft day, and then your VHLE season will be the only time you have only one player and only in the minors. I think the big earners are going to get competitive and pumped for one 'tear-it-up' season competing against their draft class peers (the 2nd bigAL is going to wreck the 2nd dlamb, and the 2nd rory is going to make the VHL GMs pay for letting him fall to the third round). It's going to be a lot of fun for that one, super competitive, tightly matched up season.

The ninth season is there as a safety net for someone who goes absolutely bananas and mostly unheard of earning. I'm sure the 8-vs-9 season debate will come up during HoF discussions, but I don't think there's many tangible benefits of skipping the E.

1 hour ago, Hex Universe said:

My only worry is, which I'm sure has been thought about, is the potential of having to expand the league one or two seasons in to accommodate all the players with the backlog.

Part of the thought process is people will be less likely to slow down their earning. Now there’s a middle league where they can be more competitive at the 200-300 TPA range, so there’s no reason to stay longer in the M. Once they pass 350, likely 400, they can enter the VHL with a bit more of a running start.

7 hours ago, Beketov said:

To give a bit of perspective if I remember my count correctly: going back as far as S70 there would be a dozen it would realistically apply to as an option (people around 325-350 at the draft) and only 1 that would have been a guarantee (was at like 390 or something at the draft)

So it will happen but we’re talking maybe 2 people per draft who will realistically be able to do 9 season careers and even fewer, like 1 per generation, that is guaranteed to do it.

8 hours ago, Victor said:

Probably rarer than you think. For example, only 1 S78 player would have been eligible to skip VHLE this season and pursue a 9 season career. And that's a risk anyway with an early start (joining a league where 95% of the population will be 100 TPA ahead of you) and signing up to some horrific 9th season depreciation. 

Maybe I was thinking there was a bit more time between the draft and the cutoff. I went back to S73 to check and was thinking probably 4-5 per draft, but I was thinking they'd have a shot if they could get over 300 TPE. And I suppose even then, that's only if you wanted to play in the VHL at a low TPE number. So yeah, fair enough, probably only 1-2 per draft.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, tcookie said:

Maybe I was thinking there was a bit more time between the draft and the cutoff. I went back to S73 to check and was thinking probably 4-5 per draft, but I was thinking they'd have a shot if they could get over 300 TPE. And I suppose even then, that's only if you wanted to play in the VHL at a low TPE number. So yeah, fair enough, probably only 1-2 per draft.

Yeah, we’re talking about usually like a week between the draft and the cutoff date so even with off season bonus stuff you’re looking at people who are above ~325 at the draft and even then it’s an option for them, not a guarantee. It will be very rare to have any draftees being guaranteed to go straight to the VHL.