let's start a fight in the comments

fishy

do you back your car into parking spaces  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would NEVER do it if I didn't have a backup camera, but its existence is slowly opening up my mind to the world of backing into spaces. Sometimes it's really convenient to have your trunk positioned at the front of the spot, but 95% of the time I'm pulling in forward anyway.

I didn't realize it was so controversial though, I always saw it as a tomato-tomahto thing.

At my previous job I was usually one of the first people in that would use the back lot.  So since I had so much room and wouldn't be inconveniencing anyone I would usually back into a spot.

7 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

Ok how about this, driving down the street with parallel parking, there's a mild amount of traffic so if you are parallel parking you're gonna hold a few cars up. Are you parallel parking or finding somewhere else?

never parallel parking. 

13 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

Ok how about this, driving down the street with parallel parking, there's a mild amount of traffic so if you are parallel parking you're gonna hold a few cars up. Are you parallel parking or finding somewhere else?

I sent days learning and practicing parallel parking before my drivers test only to have the guy doing the test before me hit another car while taking the test so I didn`t even have to parallel park during my test. I only had to explain how to step by step. Biggest pill of crap!!!

So, I parallel park all the time since I am actually very good at it from all the practice.

Due to parking in tight spots and practices due to natural disasters here in Japan; everyone here parks backwards into a parking spots. It is wild to watch them as they drive as fast as they can, cut the wheel, place the hazards on indicating here that they are parking, slam it into reverse, remove seat belt, open door and lean out of said door while backing up at full speed into empty parking spot. Just to say the least it is scary as hell and I have seen many sideswipes. Only thing I haven`t seen yet is person straggled with their own seat belt or falling out of open car door yet. And I hope I never do!! 

So, Yes; I back into parking when tight parking spots since it is easier to pull out of a parking spot then reverse out of a parking spot that is tight. My house is a shared house with tight parking so I also reverse into my parking area as you need to due S turns to even get into the drive way. Yet we have enough space for 9-10 cars.

But overall if I am going shopping I am pulling in straight since likelihood I am one of the only few that has pulled in straight making it easier to find my car!! LOL!!

It was something that as a Canadian I have never truly understood why they must park backwards, in the manner that they do and look at forward parkers like we are less skilled. Yet the posted speed limit here is 30-40km/hr and highest they drive is 80km/hr even on their Freeways, Highways or Payways!! Most will never drive over the speed of 50km as they never drive more than 20km from their homes. That used to be my commute in Edmonton every day to the Northside. LOL!! Not to mention when I lived just outside Calgary and drop to Edmonton daily for work which in 300km; which is very far here!! LOL!! Tokyo to Nagoya. Heck, I live 30km outside of Nagoya and my wife; who lived in Canada still tries to convince me it is far. LOL!!

Just adding for some more context the whole of Japan fits in one of our Provinces in Canada.

Only the Maritimes are smaller than Japan. About half the size; if I am correct. Newfoundland Island is about 1/3 of the size of Japan but if you count Labrador than it is bigger.

*Speaking in 31 year old voice*

If you have an SUV or car in the grocery store its nice to pull in frontward so you an load your items in the back without walking in between cars with them.

If traffic is really annoying and you really just want to pull in your spot then pull frontwards for the quick escape from anxiety.

All other occasions I always prefer to back-in... you are only benefitting yourself later by not having to back out.

On 7/16/2023 at 3:20 AM, Grape said:

If you back your car into a spot I automatically hate you. Y'all always choose the most inconvenient time possible when I'm behind you trying to get a spot as well. Like, just go in normally.

But it is just as easy to go in from the back!! Maybe a few second longer!!

On 7/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, Gaikoku-hito said:

But it is just as easy to go in from the back!! Maybe a few second longer!!

yea and those few seconds I'm stuck waiting and can't do anything. Like, it's not about ease or anything. It's a courtesy thing. If someone is waiting behind you, don't back in.

4 hours ago, Grape said:

yea and those few seconds I'm stuck waiting and can't do anything. Like, it's not about ease or anything. It's a courtesy thing. If someone is waiting behind you, don't back in.

Nah, That sounds like a you issue!! I think you can wait!!

4 hours ago, Grape said:

I bet you are equally upset if someone needs to back out of a parking spot backward, and now you have to wait... ;)