Official Movie Discussion

Devise

1. Anyone seen Draft Day?

2. Whats the difference between Spiderman Series (Tobey) and Spiderman series (Garfield), because I'm lost into why one was created after the other had come out 7-8 years prior.

McGuire/Raimi series features a Peter Parker more like he was in the original run, but tends to take more liberties with the overall material. Garfield/Webb features a modernized version of Peter Parker and is heavily influenced by the Ultimate Spider-Man books.

1. Anyone seen Draft Day?

2. Whats the difference between Spiderman Series (Tobey) and Spiderman series (Garfield), because I'm lost into why one was created after the other had come out 7-8 years prior.

Saw it never been a fan of the NFL but loved this movie. 

Just recently caught up on the second Hunger Games movie from last year. I thought it was pretty solid. Did a lot of world exploring that was missing from the first movie. It wasn't without it's issues though. Pacing was WHACK. Felt like the movie was building up to something and that ending was simply bad. The build up to the future is fine, but the way they did it without showing any conclusion even slight was pretty bad. It's pretty much shoots arrow at the thing, sleep, wake up, sleep, oh hey all this shit happened but instead of showing the audience we'll just say it happened now look at the roof so we can end film. Was super anti climatic and makes the second movie feel like a bridge instead of being able to stand alone while also building towards the finale of the trilogy. 

Watched the Lego Movie yesterday for the first time. I"m not normally big into animated kids things (even though I think they are generally well made) but this one had such glowing reviews I figured what the hell. I really enjoyed it. It felt like a kids movie plugged into the internet and meme culture at times. Several of the jokes and pop culture references and such were things I don't think some kids would even get, and it had some solid laughs. The animation style is quite overwhelming, which is a compliment to the film. It consumes you to view it, and I was actually surprised how interesting the plot ended up being. 

Also Charlie Day as the spaceman? OMG CHARLIE DAY FTW! :P Those who haven't seen it yet I'd recommend giving it a watch. Other than the fact that it is of course an ad for the lego toys themselves at times, you'd have to be a monster to not enjoy something from it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently caught up on the second Hunger Games movie from last year. I thought it was pretty solid. Did a lot of world exploring that was missing from the first movie. It wasn't without it's issues though. Pacing was WHACK. Felt like the movie was building up to something and that ending was simply bad. The build up to the future is fine, but the way they did it without showing any conclusion even slight was pretty bad. It's pretty much shoots arrow at the thing, sleep, wake up, sleep, oh hey all this shit happened but instead of showing the audience we'll just say it happened now look at the roof so we can end film. Was super anti climatic and makes the second movie feel like a bridge instead of being able to stand alone while also building towards the finale of the trilogy. 

That kick in the balls of an ending is how the book ended too. It basically was a bridge towards the next two movies, like you said.

It was just the first movie regurgitated with an interesting twist which wasn't really interesting.

That kind of sums up the source material haha.

Are you surprised Squinty? Michael Bay is fucking awful, and Mark Whalberg is fucking awful. Put the two together on a fucking awful franchise and the results are FUCKING AWFUL. :P 

Just caught up on the new X-Men movie last night. Holy shit that was a fantastic X-Men movie. I kinda laughed though how near the end they pretty much completely disregard what happened in X-Men 3. It felt like a "Oh yeah that movie sucked so lets just re write this shit so all that dumb stuff that happened in that movie do not matter." 

Michael Bay is fucking awful, and Mark Whalberg is fucking awful. 

Don't hate on Wahlberg. Pain & Gain was actually kind of entertaining, would've been better if it wasn't for Bay's fucking awful camera work.

Edited by Sandro

Don't hate on Wahlberg. Pain & Gain was actually kind of entertaining, would've been better if it wasn't for Bay's fucking awful camera work.

Sorry but I hate on actors who can't act. Scene by scene, bad line after bad line, dude shows the exact same emotion on his face. Smiles, frowns, doesn't matter. He doesn't know how to depict emotion well enough for me. But I will agree with you about Bay and his camera work. Employs some of the shittiest shaky cam I've ever seen, granted shaky cam is awful anyways. Bay is just downright awful in general in my opinion. Weak scripts, weak characters, campy dialogue. He has come out and "excused" his own faults by saying he just makes movies for teenage boys. 

Wahlberg was great in The Departed and The Fighter though. Get him a good director and good script and he does not suck.

The right role in general, really. If someone hires Wahlberg and is like, "Hey we want you to play a soft-spoken, gentle man who's in touch with his feelings," you're just asking for trouble.

I thought the Other Guys was strictly speaking a garbage film with garbage actors. (other than Micheal Keaton) Whalbergs attempts to do something funny made me want to rip my eyes out. Zero real emotion other than the typical blank fucking stare on his face. I haven't liked Will Ferrel in anything he does other than most recently in The Lego Movie. His role in Other Guys was no different. Less of a "oh my god I'm crazy" role and more of a quiet role, but still didn't like it. 

I did like Whalberg in both The Fighter and The Departed. But the Departed was an all star cast where Whalbergs presence and role were barely there. He played an angry overly aggressive character. Basically a character that compliments the look that appears to be stuck on his face. The Fighter I will give him credit for, but if we are being honest Christian Bales performance pretty much made that movie what it was. 

I dont see the hate on Mark Wahlberg, I liked him in Lone Survivor, Contraband, Pain & Gain, 2 Guns, The Italian Job etc etc. He is a good actor imo, I have loved the majority of his movies and he can play many different roles from him in Shooter to a goofy guy in Ted.