Official Movie Discussion

Devise

When you break things down that simply, you could call anything formulaic. You're introduced to the characters, you're presented with the conflict, they have to face the conflict, and then we get the resolution. That's the basis for pretty much any story you can name.

That really isn't accurate Sandro. I could tell you a bunch of films that weren't like that. Hell some that have little to no conflict at all. I wasn't bemoaning the Marvel movies for being formulaic, because in order for them to be remain accurate to the comics and actually give me what I'm going for...at times they have to be. The comics are about super hero's fighting super villains. As long as they get the scale right, throw in some humor/character and keep things above being corny it's generally fine. But the point I was making was that I'll never put something like Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy on the same scale as things like Shawshank, or Unforgiven, or Dallas Buyers Club, or insert more artsy intelligent film here.

Even from a super hero realm Marvel hasn't come close to touching The Dark Knight in terms of quality. Critically that movie comes the closest to all the super hero films as actually being recognized and accepted as more than just a super hero movie. But you can actually get away with doing that with Batman without being too pretentious and by remaining close to the source material. I like what Marvel has done with their cinematic universe, because it's batshit over the top with awesome scale and battles and just enough heart and character to hold it all together. 

I actually disagree on that front. The Dark Knight wouldn't be half the movie it was without Heath Ledger's performance, and I find Marvel's stuff to be much more re-watchable. TDK is fucking heavy and as much as I love it, I find it difficult to go back and watch again.

Can confirm that I base what I will go to theaters to see on Rotten Tomatoes. I research the movies I plan on seeing months in advance based on who's directing it, who the actors are, etc., I keep an eye on when it'll be released, watch the trailers when they come out, and when reviews start coming in I keep an eye on it. If the reviews blow, my interest in watching it dwindles. If the reviews are good, I get excited and want to see it in theaters. Though, shit reviews don't completely make me not want to see something (i.e. I still want to see The Monuments Men in spite of its shit reviews), but shit reviews guarantee I won't see it in theaters since there's no point in spending that much on a movie that is likely not that good. When it came to Guardians of the Galaxy, I wasn't really that interested in seeing it until I started hearing the good buzz surrounding it then I planned on going to see it. That happens plenty of times as well. I do a lot of research on upcoming movies and have a big list of what I want to see, but good buzz for a movie I may have not been interested in initially is always quite convincing. GotG is just a recent example of that for me.

Also, on Dredd, it actually has solid reviews. Got a 78% (6.5/10 average score) on Rotten Tomatoes, which is alright and Reddit, in particular, hypes it to no end. It just had no marketing, since I had never heard of it until I started frequenting Reddit.

if reddit likes something there is a 100 percent chance it was hot trash, tho.

if reddit likes something there is a 100 percent chance it was hot trash, tho.

I can't comment on everything they hype up, but Moon in particular was pretty good. Overrated over there for sure, but still a good film. Drive is utter shit though and they suck its dick daily.

EDIT: Plus, Fight Club and Pulp Fiction are very hyped over there. Maybe a tad overhyped, but again, both are still very good films. 

Edited by Spangle

I can't comment on everything they hype up, but Moon in particular was pretty good. Overrated over there for sure, but still a good film. Drive is utter shit though and they suck its dick daily.

EDIT: Plus, Fight Club and Pulp Fiction are very hyped over there. Maybe a tad overhyped, but again, both are still very good films. 

the thing with reddit is they act like they're above celebrity worship and think all pop culture is stupid, but if you had Weird Al in your title you would be upvoted to the top for like 3 weeks in blatant worship of a celebrity. I literally got called a moron for saying Prince was obviously better than Weird Al lol. I do like a lot of the things they  like, they just over hype them so bad and they act like they're the only ones who do like this kind of stuff, which is super annoying. Oh and r/atheism is like what I imagine hell is like if it is a place. Those people are so pathetic haha.

Reddit is also the most sexist and racist site I've seen not called Stormfront. They upvote women being punched on a daily basis to the front page lol. I feel bad for the admins becuase they can't even ban shit like that without the manchildren on the site calling them fascists or saying they are working with the NSA or some horse shit.

idk the whole site is trash outside of like three places.

the thing with reddit is they act like they're above celebrity worship and think all pop culture is stupid, but if you had Weird Al in your title you would be upvoted to the top for like 3 weeks in blatant worship of a celebrity. I literally got called a moron for saying Prince was obviously better than Weird Al lol. I do like a lot of the things they  like, they just over hype them so bad and they act like they're the only ones who do like this kind of stuff, which is super annoying. Oh and r/atheism is like what I imagine hell is like if it is a place. Those people are so pathetic haha.

Reddit is also the most sexist and racist site I've seen not called Stormfront. They upvote women being punched on a daily basis to the front page lol. I feel bad for the admins becuase they can't even ban shit like that without the manchildren on the site calling them fascists or saying they are working with the NSA or some horse shit.

idk the whole site is trash outside of like three places.

Oh totally. The site, especially with all the Israel-Palestinian shit going on is utter shit. Shit will hit the frontpage about how 62% of Brits think Israel has committed war crimes, but the headline used on Reddit (that got upvoted) makes no mention of the fact that the same study found that 65% of Brits think Hamas has committed war crimes. 

But in terms of just movies, ya the movie subreddit there blows. I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but the whole page today is just everyone circlejerking over how great it is. The opposite happens with movies they hate like Prometheus and American Hustle. When those came out, it was non-stop threads about how much they both blew (even though I personally liked both). The funniest for me personally though was watching what happened with Gravity last year. When it came out, everyone loved it. But, once it became popular, everyone turned against it and said it sucked and was massively overrated.

For the most part, Reddit is pretty much how you described it. The whole Weird Al stuff was a massive marketing ploy that all of them got sucked into, but they were all too wrapped up into it to realize.

Weird Al isn't so much of a marketing ploy as it is simply they like Weird Al. He's "one of us" as many Redditors put it. If you take the time to notice, the majority of the celebrities they "worship" are celebrities who are active on Reddit (such as Snoop Dogg or Arnold Schwarzenegger) or are at least awesome when they drop by to do an AMA.

Shit talk Reddit all you want, but your experience on there is defined by you. I stay away from the fucked up/idiotic sub-reddits and it's fine. It's the internet, there are stupid people everywhere.

Edited by Sandro

Oh totally. The site, especially with all the Israel-Palestinian shit going on is utter shit. Shit will hit the frontpage about how 62% of Brits think Israel has committed war crimes, but the headline used on Reddit (that got upvoted) makes no mention of the fact that the same study found that 65% of Brits think Hamas has committed war crimes. 

But in terms of just movies, ya the movie subreddit there blows. I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but the whole page today is just everyone circlejerking over how great it is. The opposite happens with movies they hate like Prometheus and American Hustle. When those came out, it was non-stop threads about how much they both blew (even though I personally liked both). The funniest for me personally though was watching what happened with Gravity last year. When it came out, everyone loved it. But, once it became popular, everyone turned against it and said it sucked and was massively overrated.

For the most part, Reddit is pretty much how you described it. The whole Weird Al stuff was a massive marketing ploy that all of them got sucked into, but they were all too wrapped up into it to realize.

mhhmhhh i also hate how theres a CJ about how reddit is supposed to be super liberal, when it's not liberal at all. It's populist, but not liberal at all. It's just an annoying thing I've noticed lately. Like there was an entire thread about how good ronald regan was and the same thread had people saying how reddit was too liberal, not to mention the time every comment saying the N word was given gold and upvoted like 200 times lol. It's a bunch of edgy little kids and manchildren who hate everything that isn't a video game or comic book movie.

The Weird Al thing was actually super weird. I find him super corny anyway, but I remember someone posted that Coolio said he regretted letting Weird Al parody gangstas paradise, which is something he is allowed to regret, and the whole thread was about how much coolio sucked and how he copied Stevie Wonder (as anyone with a brain knows, sampling and parodying are not the same thing) and a little bit of casual racism too. Idk the whole site is trash. It's like a train wreck, I want to look away/leave so bad, but I kind of like seeing it burn to the ground.

Weird Al isn't so much of a marketing ploy as it is simply they like Weird Al. He's "one of us" as many Redditors put it. If you take the time to notice, the majority of the celebrities they "worship" are celebrities who are active on Reddit (such as Snoop Dogg or Arnold Schwarzenegger) or are at least awesome when they drop by to do an AMA.

Shit talk Reddit all you want, but your experience on there is defined by you. I stay away from the fucked up/idiotic sub-reddits and it's fine. It's the internet, there are stupid people everywhere.

That's kind of my point tho. Reddit acts like its above worshiping celebrities, but if one comes along for an AMA by goly gee we sure love you for the next month. I also hate how they hate on things not directed towards them. Like this just in, 25 year old man child hates One Direction and Justin Bieber. Not to mention the really creepy worship of that guy with all the karma who got banned lol.

It's not even the fucked up ones I dislike. I understand that like r/niggersrebooted or whatever are going to be trash. I just hate when mainstream, accepted subreddits are shit, like r/news is one huge circlejerk about privacy (unless you're a hot girl in which case lets have like 10 sub reddits dedicated to posting your nudes lol). OH and last but not least the fucking pro pedophilia circlejerk that genuinely creeps me out. I can chalk the racist, sexist and homophobic ones up to just being edgy, this one I have no idea what its about its just really weird. I used to post on reddit a lot,  but I've pretty much given up on posting there now, it's pretty much impossible to have a decent conversation.

The mainstream subreddits generally are among the "fucked up" ones. Because they're the defaults, everyone sees them and you get every fucked up idiot with an internet connection talking in them. Stuff like /r/hockey is actually a really nice community to lurk around and chat in. Something like /r/news however? Fucking awful.

On the other hand, Guardians of the Galaxy was still fucking awesome the second time.

Saw Guardians on Sunday. It was enjoyable. Soundtrack is awesome though, and catching a majority of the easter eggs got me giddy.

Looking forward to seeing Marvel cross these guys over with the Earth Superheros (even though that will be a handful of movies from now)

I dont consider myself a "fanboy" by any stretch of the imagination, but The whole slew of the Marvel movies have been very enjoyable. Either you love them or you hate them.

Saw Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods tonight. If you were a fan of DBZ, you'll love it. A lot funnier than expected and had some silly moments mixed with some good fighting, although most of it doesn't happen until the latter half of the film. It's only in theaters on a very limited release and the theater was packed, so if you want to see it, get your ticket online and guarantee yourself a seat.

You guys can go back to your drama llamas now.

Got around to watching Need for Speed. 

Loved the Go Pro camera work throughout the entire movie. Overall, the story was pretty predictable, and some of the driving and/or chase scenes looked cheesy and obviously fake, but that's expected with these types of movies. It was still entertaining, and it was cool to see different elements from the NFS games over the years that they tried to incorporate into the movie. 

Oh, and having Kid Cudi(and his music) in anything is a-okay with me. 

Nothing to write home about, but if you have enjoyed the F&F series or Gone in 60 Seconds, you'd probably find this movie to satisfy that niche. 

7/10

Cheesy/obviously fake... You do realize they actually did all the stunts in that movie instead of the CGI-athon that F&F is, right?

There's no way they did ALL the stunts in that movie. Most of them, maybe, but all? No way. 

There's no way they did ALL the stunts in that movie. Most of them, maybe, but all? No way. 

Believe it or not with the use of practical effects it actually isn't that hard to do all the stunts in a movie like that. I've seen it as well recently, and there is very little CGI in that film all together. But I do agree with your review of it. It was watchable. Made more watchable by Aaron Pauls ability to act, which add some credence to the corny dramatic scenes that were otherwise pretty unbearable. And you have to suspend your disbelief tons, as the world/universe and some of the characters even don't appear to operate in any form of reality at times. However Micheal Keaton basically narrating half the film was a delight. :P 

In regards to the effects though, there is a feature where they show how they did the majority of the stunts in Need for Speed you can find somewhere online. It's not all super dangerous a lot of the time, as provided your dealing with something physical, you can go in later and actually add effects and other things onto it. But it still looks and for the most part is very real. 

All these things are meticulously planned out by highly trained stuntmen and coordinators. Visually it's quite obvious what's real and what isn't when you know what to look for:

Also I've kind of seen my fair share of movies lately, just catching up (for better or worse) on stuff I haven't seen yet or is just coming out. Even stuff that wasn't all that great.

Walk of Shame

The Other Woman

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

Captain American Winter Soldier

Need for Speed

I have American Hustle also on the hopper to be the next thing I watch. Walk of Shame and The Other Woman were generic bad comedies, one I was roped into watching the other had Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones so I said fuck it. Angriest Man in Brooklyn was a delightful black comedy that probably most wouldn't like, but I enjoyed it. Finally catching up on Captain America was great. Good movie, good political thriller, even if the big plot point of the movie was spoiled for me because I watch Agents of Shield. 

Movies that I recently watched:

We're the Millers

21 Jump Street

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Moneyball

Pitch Perfect

Rocket Science

They all rank as "would watch again." I'm not much of a critic, so I don't have much more to say than that.

Edited by Hustles