S92 Spirit of Competition Punishments

Acydburn

SEA G does have some attributes that are better than Justin Lion, so you can't even say that Lion is strictly better. To be completely honest, I think the league should look at abolishing the Keaton Louth rule and let teams start a goalie in all 72 games. I'd also like to see the league implement fatigue to give teams a reason to give starts to a backup goalie or have larger rosters. Make Endurance an attribute that starts at 40 that we can develop. I'm not an STHS expert, so I don't know how fatigue functions in the simulation so this might just not be possible at all.

10 hours ago, scoop said:

SEA G does have some attributes that are better than Justin Lion, so you can't even say that Lion is strictly better. To be completely honest, I think the league should look at abolishing the Keaton Louth rule and let teams start a goalie in all 72 games. I'd also like to see the league implement fatigue to give teams a reason to give starts to a backup goalie or have larger rosters. Make Endurance an attribute that starts at 40 that we can develop. I'm not an STHS expert, so I don't know how fatigue functions in the simulation so this might just not be possible at all.

I can see this being hellish to figure out a balance for. It’s an interesting idea, but you’d have to be really methodical about running your tests in a way that’s reflective of the ways that players would actually update and how that would conceivably work in the sims. And even then, what’s a “successful” outcome in terms of the starts that a backup would get? It’s probably better to just require that teams follow that successful outcome in the first place. 

I also have no idea how endurance and fatigue work—does it change over the course of a season or just reset at the start of each game? The latter wouldn’t exactly work in the way this is intended. 

• Senior Admin
2 hours ago, Gustav said:

I can see this being hellish to figure out a balance for. It’s an interesting idea, but you’d have to be really methodical about running your tests in a way that’s reflective of the ways that players would actually update and how that would conceivably work in the sims. And even then, what’s a “successful” outcome in terms of the starts that a backup would get? It’s probably better to just require that teams follow that successful outcome in the first place. 

I also have no idea how endurance and fatigue work—does it change over the course of a season or just reset at the start of each game? The latter wouldn’t exactly work in the way this is intended. 

I haven’t looked at STHS in a long time but IIRC- there is in-game fatigue which affects player attribute, basically a fatigued players attributes are reduced based on some formula. Then there’s a post-game fatigue formula that determines how fatigued that player will start the next game. 

I don’t think we’ve ever tested it that much probably just because it has never really been our desire to ‘punish’ players for having lots of ice time. Also don’t quote on me on this but I feel like you can’t activate fatigue without also activating injuries. 

14 hours ago, scoop said:

To be completely honest, I think the league should look at abolishing the Keaton Louth rule and let teams start a goalie in all 72 games.

The purpose of the rule, at least the way I see it, is to not give teams with only one goalie a distinct advantage over teams with 2. Let's say I have a 1000 TPE starter and a 400 TPE backup. Obviously, I would want to play the 1000 TPE goalie way more games because that gives my team a better chance to win, but the user with the 400 TPE goalie ends up getting completely shafted by not getting a single game, likely leading to a negative experience and eventually leave the league. Removal of the rule would discourage teams from acquiring a backup because then nobody ends up getting shafted and the team gets to rock 72 games with their starter, leading to a fair amount of active goalies sitting in free agency. Having the rule allows for active backups to actually get signed and play, whilst at the same time stopping one goalie teams from having an advantage over the two goalie teams.

• Commissioner
55 minutes ago, Grape said:

The purpose of the rule, at least the way I see it, is to not give teams with only one goalie a distinct advantage over teams with 2. Let's say I have a 1000 TPE starter and a 400 TPE backup. Obviously, I would want to play the 1000 TPE goalie way more games because that gives my team a better chance to win, but the user with the 400 TPE goalie ends up getting completely shafted by not getting a single game, likely leading to a negative experience and eventually leave the league. Removal of the rule would discourage teams from acquiring a backup because then nobody ends up getting shafted and the team gets to rock 72 games with their starter, leading to a fair amount of active goalies sitting in free agency. Having the rule allows for active backups to actually get signed and play, whilst at the same time stopping one goalie teams from having an advantage over the two goalie teams.

Dating back to the very start of the league this has always been the reason for it’s existence as far as I’m aware.

2 hours ago, Grape said:

That's why I would also like to see the league explore the possibility of implementing fatigue into the sim, making it advantageous for teams that have a second goalie, or a deeper roster in general.

1 hour ago, scoop said:

That's why I would also like to see the league explore the possibility of implementing fatigue into the sim, making it advantageous for teams that have a second goalie, or a deeper roster in general.

The Keaton Louth rule basically is built in fatigue for goalies. A full implementation of fatigue, while it could be interesting, would likely require a complete overhaul of the league itself, as the traditional 6-4-2 would struggle due to everyone being fatigued at some point. It's something to consider and possibly balance, but for now the rule serves that purpose for goaltending.

1 hour ago, scoop said:

Nah man, you'll be required to make an effort to sign my 99 LD/99 PS/35 everything else goalie or the league will punish you.

Don’t tempt me with a good time