Eminem and Rape

AIM-11

So, I know there are some fans of Eminem here, so I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

In a leaked song called Vegas, he sings:

"Put that shit away Iggy.  You don't want to blow that rape whistle on me. Scream. I love it. Fore I get lost with the getting off."

Now, I have am appreciation for the talent that goes into some of these songs, but as far as I am concerned this is subhuman behaviour from someone to threaten them with rape.  I'd personally love to see a guy like Eminem get thrown in prison for this type of stuff to start cleaning up the genre and bring back some respectability to women.

It's disgusting, it's dehumanizing, and it's wrong - full stop.

Those of you who love this type of music, how do you deal with this type of stuff?  It's not just Eminem.

You folks are the ones with the power to stop this type of behaviour by not supporting the artists.  Does stuff like this make you second guess your music choices? 

Oh wow, I didn't even connect those dots together.  Brutal.  I've enjoyed some of his music, and understood he came from a rough past, so some things can be forgiven.  There's zero chance I can get on board with a guy who threatens to rape a woman, joke or otherwise.  It's just unfortunate that our culture is such that he'll be forgiven for those attitudes, or worse, applauded.

I'm the biggest hip hop fan ever. And this is way too far tbh. It's 2014, Em is 40, he has a daughter who is close to Iggy's age. It's just lame and pandering to the lowest common commentator of hip hop fan. The DC shoe wearing losers who still think Eminem and Hopsin are the two best rappers alive, and think Biggie predicated 9/11 in his record. This is way too far. The issue is that he named Iggy. When he played a character in Relapse, it was fine because it was never personal. It was just a character, this is way too personal and in naming someone, it makes her a target. The same thing happened when he constantly badgered Kim in his songs, she was attacked by fans and told she was a whore etc... Eminem is kind of scum, and not even good at making music anymore.

There is no question that the music people listen to will have some impact/influence on thier on life, there is no getting around that, no arguing against it, especially for younger kids/teenagers.  They see their idol singing about this shit like it's just normal, every day action and it plants that seed into their head.

This isn't even the worst shit Eminem has sung about, pretty sure he's gone farther.

im drunk right now, but using chino xl as a citation of rap is pretty lame, no one gives two shits about him. His claim to fame is being dissed by Pac in like 1996. I don't care what he says, I care what eminem says because he has an audience. In fact, that isn't even why I care. I care because Iggy is a young woman who has never said shit about Eminem before and he says he's going to rape her. I know it's art. He shouldn't get in any kind of trouble for it, but I think society has a right and a border line responsibility to ignore it and support Iggy. Making rape jokes in 1999 is one thing, but in 2014 at 40, with a daughter close to Iggy's age, is just so irresponsible. Same when he said he would punch Lana Del Ray in the face. It's eminem trying to be edgy and cool again, it's  not going to work. Veteran rappers need to take a lesson from Nas and Hov, they're both older rappers who haven't fallen off, they remain relevant for one reason or another. Hov has the swagger,Nas has the content (Life is Good was an awesome album). 

I think the point is not that Em will inspire people to rape, I think the point is that he's a 40 year old man making jokes about rape in 2014. It's not really anything worth being "angry" about, but I see why Iggy would be angry. She probably grew up listenting to Eminem and he said he was going to rape her. That's literally the worst thing you can say about someone short of murder (arguably even worse since "I'm going to kill you" is kind of a thing people say in general as a joke, I'm going to rape you is not".

I've become a feminist with the whole Bill Cosby/Gamergate/Gian Gomeshi thing, and this adds to it. I don't think it deserves any sort of censorship (and it won't because no one cares about Eminem enough to censor him anyway), but I think society should be educated better. I never knew rape was controversial beyond it's bad until the last weeks with Bill Cosby.

tl;dr: listen to young thug he's better for you than Eminem

especially for someone who just called out Adrian Peterson. fuckin hypocrite

it's like Bill fucking Cosby. "Black people should pull their pants up!!!!11!!" meanwhile he's been raping women for 40 years. 

I don't get how people listen to rap

cool? Who cares. I don't get how people listen to dad rock but I still respect it as an art form. You don;t have to like it but you have to respect the work put in to hip hop. 

Well, some interesting stuff to think about. The whole interplay between art and censorship is always tough to navigate.  It's not that I'm pro censorship, and arresting the guy is not a real solution either (said more because my anger chip is being used currently), but it would give me a lot more faith in humanity if suddenly the guy never made any money because everyone actually valued women.  Hit these subhuman freaks in the pocketbook where it really hurts them.

it's like Bill fucking Cosby. "Black people should pull their pants up!!!!11!!" meanwhile he's been raping women for 40 years. 

He's been accused, and he will never be charged because no one has any proof and even some of the stories don't add up with what their saying now (See Janice Dickinson, who was telling a different story in her book back in 01 I believe). If he's guilty, than its a true shame, but if he isn't, than I hope the accusers burn for trying to destroy him. It's pathetic, and an obvious ploy to ruin him, why wait SO long? and why are they ALL coming out right NOW? Fishy.

Also ,saying that rap shouldn't be censored because it's an "art form" is complete bullshit. So if I consider something to be art, not matter what it is, it can't be censored? That's insane.  Rap , satire, art, lyrics, whatever you want to call it, the shit that rappers sing about today is not art, it is not good music and is part of society's problem today.

Edited by Merica

It's common for victims to wait a really long time to actually come out about being victimized, particularly when the person who victimized you has a position of power/authority, or is really famous.  There are tons of high profile cases of this happening in the past.

Add in the feeling of shame that many victims feel, and there are all sorts of reasons why it's only now, when multiple people have started coming forward, that momentum starts building and more potential victims come forward.

Bill will get his chance to defend himself, and since it's the best system that we have (as faulty as it may be) to determine someone's innocence/guilt, we wait to see what happens.  He very well could be guilty or innocent.  I guess we will find out.

It's common for victims to wait a really long time to actually come out about being victimized, particularly when the person who victimized you has a position of power/authority, or is really famous.  There are tons of high profile cases of this happening in the past.

Add in the feeling of shame that many victims feel, and there are all sorts of reasons why it's only now, when multiple people have started coming forward, that momentum starts building and more potential victims come forward.

Bill will get his chance to defend himself, and since it's the best system that we have (as faulty as it may be) to determine someone's innocence/guilt, we wait to see what happens.  He very well could be guilty or innocent.  I guess we will find out.

It still can't be proven without a shadow of a doubt.