Bone Crushers in VHL history

Scurvy

There are a lot of things to like about the VHL and the creative process you can take to make the player of your choosing.  Some go for that offensive defenseman or a speedy playmaking center. However, sometimes VHL members choose to make a gritty smashmouth killer that would hit his/her own grandmother on the ice.  And these are the players I love and will honor here today:

image.png.a340249e051465d65e8196e7e22a1107.png 

As I hunted through the forum of historical hitters it was pretty evident the early seasons were similar to the 70s-80s NHL.  Lots of points and lots of killers with hits and PIMS that will probably never be equaled by our modern VHL players.  I am going to highlight some of these players and just a note:  This is by no means a comprehensive list and if I missed someone or chose not to list them here it was simply for brevity.  

Looking for the single season hit record I saw it was held by Season 61 Davos’s Gabriel McAllister @CowboyinAmerica with 461 and he still had 99 points that same season.  That is a lot of damn hits.  The only modern player I could find that was close to this record was Malmo’s forward, Druss Deathwalker with 413 in S82 (good for 12th all time) and 404 in S84.  No other modern player has amassed 400 hits.  Pretty impressive.  

Top 10 Hits in a Season:

#1- Gabriel McAllister 461 (S61)

#2- Simon Valmount 441 (S49)

#3- Zach Perechkin 434.   (S51)

#4- Tukka Reikkinen 430  (S30)

#5- Phil Shankly 426 (S57)

#6- David Smalling 423 (S23)

#7- Motherfucker Sharpe 421 (S57)

#8- Phil Marleau 418 (S74)

#9- Chad Magnum 415 (S75)

#10- Leeroy Jenkins 414 (S26)

#10- Edwin Encarnacion 414 (S42)

Now, for career hits that record his held by Vinny Detroit @dasboot with 3163.  He almost broke the 400 mark in S86 with Davos where he had 398 hits and he never had a season under 300. Detroit was a hitting machine and even won a Continental Cup in S83.  

Rounding out the top 5 career hits are:

#1- Vinny Detroit 3163

#2- Brennan McQueen 2889

#3-Druss Deathwalker 2882

#4-Vasile Lamb @dlamb 2877

#5-Duncan Idaho @OrbitingDeath 2734

I tried looking up if any of these top 30 or so hit leaders were defensemen but kept getting “Oops you went off side” when I clicked their names.  It’s harder to be the hit leader as a Defensive player but in looking at the current hit leaders in the VHL, there are two in the top 10 in Womp Womp Womp Womp Womp Jr @AdamEss with 158 (2nd place) and Skor McFleury @AlexAlex with 139 (6th).

Also, a huge shoutout to the always reliable stay at home dman in Calgary, Phil Strasmore @PhilPhil is set to pass 2000 hits this year which is a huge achievement. Added to the 1664 minutes in PIMS (good for 4th all time currently) he for sure has been tough to play against.  Congrats Phil!!  

See ya next week

9 hours ago, Scurvy said:

Also, a huge shoutout to the always reliable stay at home dman in Calgary, Phil Strasmore @PhilPhil is set to pass 2000 hits this year which is a huge achievement. Added to the 1664 minutes in PIMS (good for 4th all time currently) he for sure has been tough to play against.  Congrats Phil!!  

2 of Phil's past players also still rocking in  the top 10 of hits in a single season :) Guess which ones lmao. 

• Admin
17 hours ago, Scurvy said:

I tried looking up if any of these top 30 or so hit leaders were defensemen but kept getting “Oops you went off side” when I clicked their names

There's a defencemen only list where you can see it split and can work that out: https://vhlforum.com/topic/347-vhl-career-stats-updated-for-s92/

I think Encarnacion is the only defenceman near the top in hits.

Alternatively any player with 1,000 or so blocked shots is going to be a dman.

3 hours ago, Victor said:

There's a defencemen only list where you can see it split and can work that out

Thank you!

On 4/7/2024 at 6:26 AM, Victor said:

There's a defencemen only list where you can see it split and can work that out: https://vhlforum.com/topic/347-vhl-career-stats-updated-for-s92/

I think Encarnacion is the only defenceman near the top in hits.

Alternatively any player with 1,000 or so blocked shots is going to be a dman.

Sweet! Strasmore should be in the top 10 in hits when he retires!

On 4/7/2024 at 4:40 AM, Phil said:

2 of Phil's past players also still rocking in  the top 10 of hits in a single season :) Guess which ones lmao. 

Seems to be a family trait considering that Smalling @Knight is listed as well...

On 4/6/2024 at 11:11 AM, Scurvy said:

Rounding out the top 5 career hits are:

#1- Vinny Detroit 3163

#2- Brennan McQueen 2889

#3-Druss Deathwalker 2882

#4-Vasile Lamb @dlamb 2877

#5-Duncan Idaho @OrbitingDeath 2734

Nice article, always nice to be mentioned. 

Couple of points, McQueen has 2518 hits and ranks 16th all-time. The only reason Detroit beat Deathwalker (yes, I'm biased) is because he played an extra season. Deathwalker still holds the unofficial hits per game record.

image.png.c28bb22ddb303afcdfbde885dffb7cd4.png