VSN Presents: S94 VHL Awards

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Greg Clegane Trophy (Best GAA)

For the first time in league history, the awarding of the Greg Clegane trophy has varied. The Seattle Bears who had the least goals against had both goalies reach the minimum games played requirement. As a result, the winners of the Greg Clegane Trophy are, both Fuukka Rask @Jubis, and Giorgiy Constanzov @Mongoose87!

This can't be real, right? Why would they share it? Basically saying this is a team award.

Edited by scoop

Just now, scoop said:

This can't be real, right? Why would they share it? Basically saying this is a team award.

There was a lengthy BOG discussion on it, Rask would have won regardless, was extended to include Constanzov since both goalies hit the minimum games started requirement and Seattle had the least goals against in the league.

49 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I think I'd have lost regardless, just the classic "hey my playoffs went well, let me on the ballot!"

I mean Frank sold his best player so you should have been there tbh @Frank @OrbitingDeath just like to robbing it in 

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

There was a lengthy BOG discussion on it, Rask would have won regardless, was extended to include Constanzov since both goalies hit the minimum games started requirement and Seattle had the least goals against in the league.

Okay so the award isn't for the lowest GAA, it's for all goalies who hit the minimum games started requirement on the team with the fewest goals allowed.

I was gonna say... the Clegane is supposed to be the goalie with the best GAA, isn't it?

The team isn't even part of it. The goalie with the best GAA doesn't necessarily have to even play for the team with the least goals against (two teams finishing close with a difference in quality of backup play, trades, etc) and I would be surprised if there haven't been cases like that over 94 seasons.

Like you wouldn't add a recipient to the Brooks trophy if second place in goals played for the same team as first place and their team led the league in goals for...

The Clegane never was a Jennings equivalent. It's a category leader award just like the Brooks, Szatkowski, etc. No? Am I crazy?

(edit - yeah I only had to go back two seasons to find this case, Malmo and Helsinki both had less GA than New York in S92 but Ws led the league in GAA and got the Clegane)

Is what it is but feels like a very weird decision, totally inconsistent with how the award has been given out

Edited by tcookie

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy (Top Rookie):

This season saw some great rookies enter the league with really promising futures; among those rookies three stood out from the rest;

Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica - The S93 1st overall pick had the highest scoring rookie season of the hybrid era with a staggering 93 points, 31 of which were goals!

David Slezak @ShawnGlade - Came in a stole the crease on a upstart Calgary Wranglers team which went on several long winning streaks, finishing their rookie season with a 35-25-4 record, and a solid 0.917 SV%!

Tom Dufour @Cookie - Dufour’s road to the VHL was a long one, the 29th pick of the S91 draft came in with a bang, post 30 goals and 40 points for a total of 70 points in 72 games played!

And the winner is...

Reveal hidden contents

Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica!

Bucatini - 11, Slezak/Dufour - 0

Thank you everyone who voted for me! Certainly didn't expect that production my rookie year, but cool to see. And congrats to Slezak and Dufour for their excellent years!

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Dustin Funk Trophy (Most Improved):

A lot of players took massive steps forward this season, the players nominated for the Funk are:

Merome Dilson @MexicanCow123 - Jumped from a 0.917 SV% to a 0.928, and a 2.78 to a 2.38 GAA!

Kimi Raikkonen @mattyIceman - Had a 30 point increase and scored 15 more goals!

Raimo Tuominen @SlapshotWrangler - Had a massive improvement as they went from 65 to 120 points!

Catia Goncalves @cLoWn - Had the single largest point increase in the league, jumping from 57 to 117!

Eric White Jr @Mysterious_Fish - Had a improvement of 29 points, the largest on Seattle!

And the winner is...

Reveal hidden contents

Raimo Tuominen @SlapshotWrangler!

Tuominen - 9, Raikkonen - 1, Dilson - 1, Goncalves/White - 0

DAWGGGG 🔥🔥🔥

8 hours ago, tcookie said:

I was gonna say... the Clegane is supposed to be the goalie with the best GAA, isn't it?

The team isn't even part of it. The goalie with the best GAA doesn't necessarily have to even play for the team with the least goals against (two teams finishing close with a difference in quality of backup play, trades, etc) and I would be surprised if there haven't been cases like that over 94 seasons.

Like you wouldn't add a recipient to the Brooks trophy if second place in goals played for the same team as first place and their team led the league in goals for...

The Clegane never was a Jennings equivalent. It's a category leader award just like the Brooks, Szatkowski, etc. No? Am I crazy?

(edit - yeah I only had to go back two seasons to find this case, Malmo and Helsinki both had less GA than New York in S92 but Ws led the league in GAA and got the Clegane)

Is what it is but feels like a very weird decision, totally inconsistent with how the award has been given out

To be clear Fuukka Rask had the lowest GAA (2.29), end of story. This isn’t a situation where a goalie from another team would have won the award.

The decision was made to extend the award to Constanzov as they also had over 30 games started and Seattle had the least goals against.

While typically the Clegane has just gone to the starting goalie with the lowest GAA, this season presented a unique situation that has never occurred before as teams rarely ever play their goalies in a 1A/1B and have the goalie with both the lowest GAA and the lowest goals against as a whole.

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

To be clear Fuukka Rask had the lowest GAA (2.29), end of story. This isn’t a situation where a goalie from another team would have won the award.

The decision was made to extend the award to Constanzov as they also had over 30 games started and Seattle had the least goals against.

While typically the Clegane has just gone to the starting goalie with the lowest GAA, this season presented a unique situation that has never occurred before as teams rarely ever play their goalies in a 1A/1B and have the goalie with both the lowest GAA and the lowest goals against as a whole.

It’s “Costanzov” btw 🙏 only one N not two. Noticed in the original award post too

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Of course it's not... I didn't suggest anything of the sort. That's how category leader awards are supposed to work... look at the leaderboard, take the lowest GAA who met GP requirements, done. There is no need to make a decision with a category leader award, that defeats the whole purpose of them. They exist to be black-and-white. It should be Rask. But it should be just Rask.

It isn't a Jennings equivalent, and if it's supposed to be a Jennings equivalent, then people should know that long before awards night -- but since it was only S92/this March that it was clearly awarded in a non-Jennings-equivalent way, I sort of doubt there is any intent for it to be one.

I understand that true goalie tandems basically never happen in the VHL and I understand where the idea is coming from. But like... it's not the award. Established criteria should be followed.

• Admin
On 7/26/2024 at 2:04 AM, scoop said:

19 hours ago, tcookie said:

Of course it's not... I didn't suggest anything of the sort. That's how category leader awards are supposed to work... look at the leaderboard, take the lowest GAA who met GP requirements, done. There is no need to make a decision with a category leader award, that defeats the whole purpose of them. They exist to be black-and-white. It should be Rask. But it should be just Rask.

It isn't a Jennings equivalent, and if it's supposed to be a Jennings equivalent, then people should know that long before awards night -- but since it was only S92/this March that it was clearly awarded in a non-Jennings-equivalent way, I sort of doubt there is any intent for it to be one.

I understand that true goalie tandems basically never happen in the VHL and I understand where the idea is coming from. But like... it's not the award. Established criteria should be followed.

tbf I've overruled the BOG anyway and only listed Rask in the HOF

3 hours ago, Victor said:

tbf I've overruled the BOG anyway and only listed Rask in the HOF

oh boy on my way to write a trivia question and using this thread as my source for the winner!