General Football Discussion

Victor

• Admin

3 wins, a draw, and 2 losses is all they need at most! (I'm assuming that Arsenal and Spurs don't win all their remaining games because they are Arsenal and Spurs)

Only concern is that 4 of the 6 games are United, Chelsea, West Ham, and Everton. Could be easier.

• Admin

Yeah I am pretty confident at this point. 5 straight 1-0 wins is impressive too, shows they can win in different ways. Considering they've lost 3 games this season, to Arsenal (twice) and Liverpool, why should they be any worse over a 6 game stretch now?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I missed the Champions League match because of work - read the match report - sounded boring. Who wants to enlighten me?

it was so shit for 75 minutes then Real had 2 or 3 decent chances, mainly from corners.

Worst semifinal since Atletico v Chelsea two years back.

9 minutes ago, Victor said:

it was so shit for 75 minutes then Real had 2 or 3 decent chances, mainly from corners.

Worst semifinal since Atletico v Chelsea two years back.

wow.. glad I missed it then. Hopefully tomorrow match and the second leg are better haha

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Phil said:

wow.. glad I missed it then. Hopefully tomorrow match and the second leg are better haha

indeed. I will probably miss tomorrow's unfortunately though I doubt it'll be a goalfest given it's Atletico. Should be tense though.

• Admin

oof what a game. When Torres got the penalty I thought it would be a perfect rendition of Chelsea 2012 - 1-0 home win, 2-2 away with Torres to seal it. Nope, second penalty miss of the night, meant nerve-wracking few more minutes, but wow. Atletico back in the final.

Leicester are great and all but Atletico have been doing this for 5 years now. Against Real and Barca too.

I'm happy for Athletico because I didn't want to face them to start with. They scare me because they all work so damn hard and never really give into the hype of the other team. Sad we lost and sad Muller missed his PK. :(

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I'm happy for Athletico because I didn't want to face them to start with. They scare me because they all work so damn hard and never really give into the hype of the other team. Sad we lost and sad Muller missed his PK. :(

i honestly cant believe he missed the PK, and to be fair they didnt really out work Bayern. at one point possession was 76% to Bayern which was at half im pretty sure plus in the 1st half Bayern had 16 shots to Madrids 2. 

The away goals rule is complete trash to be honest 

• Admin
43 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

i honestly cant believe he missed the PK, and to be fair they didnt really out work Bayern. at one point possession was 76% to Bayern which was at half im pretty sure plus in the 1st half Bayern had 16 shots to Madrids 2. 

I enjoyed Muller and Torres taking the exact same penalty and not scoring either one.

How many big saves did Oblak need to make though? Not many more than Neuer. Limiting the opposition to long range shots is exactly the purpose of a good defensive game plan.

Granted, I don't think they were hugely comfortable. Inter against Barca in 2010 were comfortable. This was closer to the mayhem of 2012 Chelsea (both semi and final) but a bit more organised.

Away goals isn't perfect but it's much better than every tie going to extra time. It creates great tension like most of last night's second half.

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

I enjoyed Muller and Torres taking the exact same penalty and not scoring either one.

How many big saves did Oblak need to make though? Not many more than Neuer. Limiting the opposition to long range shots is exactly the purpose of a good defensive game plan.

Granted, I don't think they were hugely comfortable. Inter against Barca in 2010 were comfortable. This was closer to the mayhem of 2012 Chelsea (both semi and final) but a bit more organised.

Away goals isn't perfect but it's much better than every tie going to extra time. It creates great tension like most of last night's second half.

Jan Oblak is a great keeper and is the only reason Madrid made it out of that semi. 

I would much rather games go to extra time than 2 teams who each won a game and the aggregate score being 2-2 and one team lost. Its trash. No matter what, whoever is the home team in the 1st leg does absolutely nothing but defend and play counter attacking football. Manchester City are by no means a terrible team, there should be no reason why they couldnt create chances in their 1st leg rather than basically having Sergio all by himself for a fair part of the game. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

Jan Oblak is a great keeper and is the only reason Madrid made it out of that semi. 

I would much rather games go to extra time than 2 teams who each won a game and the aggregate score being 2-2 and one team lost. Its trash. No matter what, whoever is the home team in the 1st leg does absolutely nothing but defend and play counter attacking football. Manchester City are by no means a terrible team, there should be no reason why they couldnt create chances in their 1st leg rather than basically having Sergio all by himself for a fair part of the game. 

Oblak was great and yet another example of Atletico's excellent scouting (De Gea, Courtois...) but that doesn't give credit to the rest of the team. Plus any good keeper would have made the saves he did.

I'd say without the away goals rule, both legs would be more defensive than either one as it is.

Just now, Victor said:

Oblak was great and yet another example of Atletico's excellent scouting (De Gea, Courtois...) but that doesn't give credit to the rest of the team. Plus any good keeper would have made the saves he did.

I'd say without the away goals rule, both legs would be more defensive than either one as it is.

im not sure, i personally love watching PK's but im sure either team does not want it to go to PK's so they would be pressing pretty hard for it. I think it would be more offensive especially the home teams in the 1st leg because they dont have to worry about that stupid rule.

and yes Atletico have had amazing players come through their ranks and they just keep on keeping on. De Gea, Courtois and noe Oblak. They had Torres (before Liverpool), Aguero, Radamel Falcao, Diego Costa and now Greizemann who is an underrated player. 

• Admin

Griezmann's not that underrated lol.

Not to mention Koke and Saul, now Carrasco was a great signing, and some amazing defenders.

I mean, it's pretty obvious they're doing something right. 2010 and 2012 Europa League, 2013 Spanish Cup, 2014 League and CL final, 2016 another shot at league and CL. Keeping up with Real and Barca for so long is an amazing achievement.

I wonder what's next for Bayern. Ancelotti won the CL with Real after Mourinho lost in the semifinal 3 times so....

3 minutes ago, Victor said:

Griezmann's not that underrated lol.

Not to mention Koke and Saul, now Carrasco was a great signing, and some amazing defenders.

I mean, it's pretty obvious they're doing something right. 2010 and 2012 Europa League, 2013 Spanish Cup, 2014 League and CL final, 2016 another shot at league and CL. Keeping up with Real and Barca for so long is an amazing achievement.

I wonder what's next for Bayern. Ancelotti won the CL with Real after Mourinho lost in the semifinal 3 times so....

well i am from Canada. anytime i mention someone who isnt Ronaldo or Messi people dont really know who im talking about. just a habit of saying that so and so is underrated because people i talk to here unless its Ronaldo or Messi dont really know who i am talking about. 

On May 4, 2016 at 2:23 AM, StevenStamkos91 said:

Mate there are two legs, they outworked us overall because they happened to score a big 1-0 away victory. So yes they did outwork us because we decided to give up a goal on our home field.

On May 4, 2016 at 3:34 AM, StevenStamkos91 said:

well i am from Canada. anytime i mention someone who isnt Ronaldo or Messi people dont really know who im talking about. just a habit of saying that so and so is underrated because people i talk to here unless its Ronaldo or Messi dont really know who i am talking about. 

Sounds like you don't often talk to Football nuts. I talk to tons of fans out here who never the full rosters. It's the most popular game in the world for a reason.

one of the best players in the world right now is the fantastic antoine griezmann.  atletico are sometimes a bit of a bitch team.  dive a lot.  saul is amazing.  not a huge fan of juanfran or godin as people but both are great players.  big fan of all the young forwards on atletico.  carrasco is special.  correa will be very good soon. 

simone is also a god.  somehow more intense than klopp.  more angry.  

is gareth bale on a run or what?!?

15 minutes ago, CoachReilly said:

one of the best players in the world right now is the fantastic antoine griezmann.  atletico are sometimes a bit of a bitch team.  dive a lot.  saul is amazing.  not a huge fan of juanfran or godin as people but both are great players.  big fan of all the young forwards on atletico.  carrasco is special.  correa will be very good soon. 

simone is also a god.  somehow more intense than klopp.  more angry.  

is gareth bale on a run or what?!?

JuanFran was the only player I wanted to heave over the Andes.

On behalf of the city of Pittsburgh and all Pittsburgh Riverhounds fans (all 50 or so):

I apologize for the team ever employing Romeo Parkes and I'm proud that we terminated his contract after that game.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, there was a USL match between Pittsburgh Riverhounds and NY Red Bulls 2. In the 85th minute, Red Bulls 2 player Karl Ouimette got sent off and was walking away, otherwise a dead ball, when Parkes walked up behind him and just kicked him square in the back. He was taken to the hospital just as a precaution and ended up being fine, but there's absolutely no need for that. It's one of the most classless things I've ever seen, and I'm ashamed that he was representing this city at the time. For something as small as USL, I've been seeing the clip all over facebook and even goal.com got hold of it (although they mislabeled it as MLS).