General Football Discussion

Victor

• 1 month later...

...but seriously though, I'm actually really looking forward to the match vs. Dortmund.  Would've been nice to get an easier draw but you can't hope to win the cup if you can't beat the best teams.

Edited by solas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 2/26/2016 at 5:06 PM, Victor said:

Spurs clearly improved since last season as shown by the change in performance against Fiorentina (who are probably a bit worse. Maybe), but I think Dortmund is a bit much.

yup, Dortmund too good. Honestly, they would easily win the Premier League.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Costa: worth it or not worth it? I like goals and all, but if he's spending half the time suspended, he isn't scoring

until we find someone as good at scoring goals, worth it. And that's no guarantee without Europe next season. Although we can hope Traore is the new Drogba.

1 minute ago, Victor said:

until we find someone as good at scoring goals, worth it. And that's no guarantee without Europe next season. Although we can hope Traore is the new Drogba.

Traore might be the new Drogba if we'd ever give him games at striker - seriously, we have nothing at all to play for this season (an outside shot at 7th maybe, but surely that's not a prize worth benching the youth for). Also, I honestly don't think Europa League would be any better at drawing in top talent for a return to form. Most of those type of players are Champions League or bust, or they don't care about it at all and just want to play for a bunch of money and a club that'll give them starts. Also, Kenedy at somewhere other than left back please...

• Admin

Well it's only after Saturday that this season became absolutely nothing to play for. I have hope Hiddink will change things now.

If you take the loan empire, guys like Solanke, Brown at Vitesse, Musonda in Spain somewhere, Pasalic in Monaco, Christensen in Gladbach, hell even Moses I think is still Chelsea owned, there's quite a bit of potential. Just gotta use it for once and not sell it (even if I thought Lukaku and De Bruyne deals looked good at the start).

Conte seems to be incoming manager and he achieved great results with what was at first a limited squad at Juve (in 11-12). I agree with Europa League being a questionable goal, as especially without European commitments and given the overall weakness of the league's top teams, 1st place should be the target next season

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

Well it's only after Saturday that this season became absolutely nothing to play for. I have hope Hiddink will change things now.

If you take the loan empire, guys like Solanke, Brown at Vitesse, Musonda in Spain somewhere, Pasalic in Monaco, Christensen in Gladbach, hell even Moses I think is still Chelsea owned, there's quite a bit of potential. Just gotta use it for once and not sell it (even if I thought Lukaku and De Bruyne deals looked good at the start).

Conte seems to be incoming manager and he achieved great results with what was at first a limited squad at Juve (in 11-12). I agree with Europa League being a questionable goal, as especially without European commitments and given the overall weakness of the league's top teams, 1st place should be the target next season

The season wasn't, but the league was. Keep the kids out of the FA cup, fair enough, but throw em in for league matches since it was a non starter. There's not a ton of difference in seasonal award money between 9th and 12th, and neither of them are qualifying for anything nor being relegated. What's an extra 500k to a billionaire, especially if it'll help earn more down the line?

Also, why'd it have to be Lukaku on Saturday...

55010715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Admittedly, I didn't catch the game, but from what I understand, Yedlin was playing CB in a 3-4-3 for the last 15 minutes or so.

:ph34r: Isnt Yedlin quite short for a CB? Or was there lot of injuries ?

• Admin
2 hours ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Admittedly, I didn't catch the game, but from what I understand, Yedlin was playing CB in a 3-4-3 for the last 15 minutes or so.

Klinsmann is good to get the right mood, something to build from. Not sure he actually has what it takes for the next step.

2 hours ago, Victor said:

Klinsmann is good to get the right mood, something to build from. Not sure he actually has what it takes for the next step.

This. He structures a team well, but he isn't really the right man to take a team to the next step. However, I don't think USA will find anyone better right now.

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

This. He structures a team well, but he isn't really the right man to take a team to the next step. However, I don't think USA will find anyone better right now.

I think "better" is subjective in this case. The US doesn't have the talent pool to play the way that Klinsmann wants to play. The US has been successful in the past by playing bunkerball, which while not the most fun to watch, can produce results with the right types of players. I think a domestic option like Kreis or Porter could maximize the talent level of the US squad more than Jurgen, but they may not be "better" coaches.

• Admin

So England with great comeback win against Germany in Berlin, just when I thought this team could go into a tournament with lowered expectations, the hype train will now hit full speed.

To be fair the front four at the end of that game of Kane, Vardy, Alli, and Barkley is basically the form team of the season, it would make a lot of sense for them to start. But I just can't see Hodgson not including Sterling, Rooney, and maybe even Welbeck. Cuz yay big teams.

Rest of the team is still nothing special, though Dier gives a new quality in midfield, but I'm afraid it is now bound to be overrated before the Euros.