General Football Discussion

Victor

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Seville will make another sad exit from the Champs League again next season to win the Europa League for a fifth time, trust. 

At least we can focus on the Prem next season?

sixth time* would be fourth in a row.

Sevilla only made it back into the EL by beating Juventus on the last group stage matchday, which also allowed Man City to go on an undeserved run to the semifinal. But yes, I predict the same.

55 minutes ago, Victor said:

I believe all the penalty claims, far from as clear cut as they are made out to be, came before Sturridge's goal. I've never bought the argument that you can just add a missed call as a goal - there's no guarantee that Sturridge would have scored the goal he actually did if they had scored earlier. So really we're just looking at an earlier 1-0 lead which doesn't change much.

At the end of the day, Liverpool had about 1 or 2 clear chances for all their domination, and I'm not even counting the goal since that was a chance out of nothing.

Coupled with the fact that this Liverpool side don't deserve Champions League football, much like the Premier League doesn't deserve five teams there, as well as Sevilla having the constant player turnover and overall revenue of Swansea (maybe), I really don't have room for sympathy for Liverpool.

Let's also take into account Sevilla missed two bicycle kicks directed at the far side corner that easily could have been put in (open looks). It goes both ways like Higgins.

• 1 month later...

After the result of Brexit what are some of the ramifications for football?

In the immediate short term, the plummet of sterling means foreign imports will get much more expensive. That £50m player is now a £70m player so forget about your club splurging on big name players this summer.

But once the exit is complete, there will no longer be free movement of players from other European countries. Bye bye Bosman. All those South Americans with European passports won’t be eligible. That promising young Spanish or French player won’t be eligible. Work permit rules will have to apply to all players so forget about signing players who haven’t broken into their national teams. The same rules about free movement will also impact on managers, coaches, backrooom staff etc.

In theory this should all mean that clubs will have to invest heavily in (British-only) youth and staff training. There will be a few years before this will impact so there’s time to get that up to standard but don’t think that this won’t have a massive impact on football in years to come.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, boom said:

After the result of Brexit what are some of the ramifications for football?

In the immediate short term, the plummet of sterling means foreign imports will get much more expensive. That £50m player is now a £70m player so forget about your club splurging on big name players this summer.

But once the exit is complete, there will no longer be free movement of players from other European countries. Bye bye Bosman. All those South Americans with European passports won’t be eligible. That promising young Spanish or French player won’t be eligible. Work permit rules will have to apply to all players so forget about signing players who haven’t broken into their national teams. The same rules about free movement will also impact on managers, coaches, backrooom staff etc.

In theory this should all mean that clubs will have to invest heavily in (British-only) youth and staff training. There will be a few years before this will impact so there’s time to get that up to standard but don’t think that this won’t have a massive impact on football in years to come.

Thoughts?

It certainly doesn't help younger players get exposure when the largest football league may potentially have restrictions on freedom of movement. Under the criteria set by the Home Officefor non-EU players to come to English football, players must have played in a certain percentage of their national team's matches over the two years prior to their application. The precise percentage depends on their country's FIFA ranking. Recent examples would be players like Martial, Payet, Kante. This could bode well for the development of English players though. Maybe not at the premier league level perhaps, but I doubt there will be another Watford situation where the team is basically Italian. 

Money will still be spent in huge quantities this summer. Although the pound has fallen sharply, I don't think it will be much of a deterrent. However, foreign players who have the option to sign for a Premier League club may think twice about their wages (given it is now worth less).

• Admin

Pound is still worth more than euro and dollar. Will have to pay more for players but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

We won't see effects for at least two years. Watford point is accurate, I imagine the Pozzi model won't work as effectively outside the EU (they own Udinese and Granada too who do the same thing). Even though Watford is lucrative to them I imagine they might invest more again in the other two since they simply won't be able to buy so many players from so many different nationalities.

I know in Italy there are only two non-EU slots per club. I don't know if that's the same elsewhere but if that had to be applied to all non-UK then that would be a dramatic change for sure. Probably not though, I imagine UK and EU will still be closer than UK or EU and everyone else. That is, until the EU collapses.

Now if this leads to the  end of the EU that would change a lot. The Bosman ruling is basically the result of the EU, if that went football would (probably for the better) step back into the 90s. Maybe.

2 hours ago, Victor said:

Pound is still worth more than euro and dollar. Will have to pay more for players but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

We won't see effects for at least two years. Watford point is accurate, I imagine the Pozzi model won't work as effectively outside the EU (they own Udinese and Granada too who do the same thing). Even though Watford is lucrative to them I imagine they might invest more again in the other two since they simply won't be able to buy so many players from so many different nationalities.

I know in Italy there are only two non-EU slots per club. I don't know if that's the same elsewhere but if that had to be applied to all non-UK then that would be a dramatic change for sure. Probably not though, I imagine UK and EU will still be closer than UK or EU and everyone else. That is, until the EU collapses.

Now if this leads to the  end of the EU that would change a lot. The Bosman ruling is basically the result of the EU, if that went football would (probably for the better) step back into the 90s. Maybe.

Can you expand on your last paragraph? Are referring specifically to the Bosman ruling (thanks FM!) or the increase in non-English/UK players on Premier League teams?

• Admin
32 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Can you expand on your last paragraph? Are referring specifically to the Bosman ruling (thanks FM!) or the increase in non-English/UK players on Premier League teams?

The Bosman ruling affects teams across all of Europe since it effectively allows players to move freely and negotiate on their own terms, not the clubs'. It was the EU which decided the old way was undemocratic and impeded freedom of movement. Equally, so did the old limitations where I believe 3 non-native players could be on the pitch at the same time for a club.

Football today, where any big club (Real, Bayern, Juventus, anyone in PL) has only a handful of Spanish, Germany, Italian, English players at best, let alone their starting XI, is largely the result of that EU ruling.

8 minutes ago, Victor said:

The Bosman ruling affects teams across all of Europe since it effectively allows players to move freely and negotiate on their own terms, not the clubs'. It was the EU which decided the old way was undemocratic and impeded freedom of movement. Equally, so did the old limitations where I believe 3 non-native players could be on the pitch at the same time for a club.

Football today, where any big club (Real, Bayern, Juventus, anyone in PL) has only a handful of Spanish, Germany, Italian, English players at best, let alone their starting XI, is largely the result of that EU ruling.

I meant more so your "  if that went football would (probably for the better) step back into the 90s. Maybe"

Are you saying you prefer the old way to what the big clubs have now?

• Admin
2 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

I meant more so your "  if that went football would (probably for the better) step back into the 90s. Maybe"

Are you saying you prefer the old way to what the big clubs have now?

Yes I do. I want the Champions League to be about more than the same 3-4 clubs every year.

• Admin

I want this to fail miserably but he has an impeccable track record.

Also if he fails I expect all the bullshit about Premier League being the greatest ever coming to the forefront, when it would obviously be the fact he is old.

So mixed feelings.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

I want this to fail miserably but he has an impeccable track record.

Also if he fails I expect all the bullshit about Premier League being the greatest ever coming to the forefront, when it would obviously be the fact he is old.

So mixed feelings.

I mean, who doesn't want to see this God among men smash one in from 40 yards and just stand there, statuesque, allowing us to reveal in his holiness?

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Knight said:

I mean, who doesn't want to see this God among men smash one in from 40 yards and just stand there, statuesque, allowing us to reveal in his holiness?

If that's all he does I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

The completed summer transfers list - EPL

Most expensive Premier League signing: Leroy Sane to Manchester City (£37m)

Busiest Premier League club: Middlesbrough (nine signings)

Most spent by a Premier League club: Manchester City (£100.2m)

Money spent (approximately): £563.8m

ARSENAL
INS: Granit Xhaka (£33.8m, Borussia Monchengladbach), Rob Holding (£2m, Bolton), Takuma Asano (undisclosed, Sanfrecce Hiroshima).

OUTS: Isaac Hayden (£2.5m, Newcastle), Wellington Silva (undisclosed, Fluminense), Jon Toral (loan, Granada), Dan Crowley (loan, Oxford), Ryan Huddart (loan, Eastleigh), Wojciech Szczesny (loan, Roma), Mikel Arteta, Mathieu Flamini and Tomas Rosicky (all released).

BOURNEMOUTH
INS: Jordon Ibe (£15m, Liverpool), Lewis Cook (£7m, Leeds), Lys Mousset (£5.4m, Le Havre), Brad Smith (£3m, Liverpool), Emerson Hyndman (free, Fulham), Mikael Ndjoli (free, Millwall), Nathan Ake (loan, Chelsea).

OUTS: Matt Ritchie (£12m, Newcastle), Tommy Elphick (£3.6m, Aston Villa), Lee Tomlin (Bristol City, £3m), Glenn Murray (loan, Brighton), Joe Quigley (loan, Gillingham), Matt Butcher (loan, Yeovil), Harry Cornick (loan, Leyton Orient), Jayden Stockley (free, Aberdeen), Sylvain Distin, Stephane Zubar, Josh Carmichael, Josh Wakefield, Mason Walsh and Jon Muleba (all released).

BURNLEY
INS:
Johann Berg Gudmundsson (£2.5m, Charlton), Nick Pope (£1.1m, Charlton), Jon Flanagan (loan, Liverpool)

OUTS: Alex Whitmore (loan, Morecambe), Josh Ginnelly (loan, Walsall), Joey Barton (free, Rangers), Matt Gilks (free, Rangers), Luke Conlan (free, Morecambe), Steven Hewitt (free, Accrington), Lloyd Dyer (free, Burton Albion), Danijel Nizic (free, Morecambe), Michael Duff (retired), Matty Taylor (free, Northampton).

CHELSEA
INS: Michy Batshuayi (£33m, Marseille), N’Golo Kante (£30m, Leicester City).

OUTS: Mohamed Salah (£12.75m, Roma), Stipe Perica (£3m, Udinese), Baba Rahman (Schalke, loan), Wallace (loan, Gremio), Andreas Christensen (loan, Borussia Monchengladbach), Nathan Ake (loan, Bournemouth), Nathan (loan, Vitesse), Lewis Baker (loan, Vitesse), Alex Kiwomya (loan, Crewe), Joao Rodriguez (loan, Santa Fe), Charly Musonda (loan, Real Betis), Mitchell Beeney (loan, Crawley), Kasey Palmer (loan, Huddersfield), Victorien Angban and Jeremie Boga (loan, Granada), Tomas Kalas (loan, Fulham), Matej Delac (loan, Mouscron-Péruwelz), Tammy Abraham (loan, Bristol City), Reece Mitchell (free, Chesterfield), John Swift (free, Reading), Marco Amelia and Kevin Wright (both released).

CRYSTAL PALACE
INS: Andros Townsend (£13m, Newcastle), James Tomkins (£10m, West Ham), Steve Mandanda (£1.5m, Marseille).

OUTS: Dwight Gayle (£10m, Newcastle), Alex McCarthy (£2m, Southampton), Jerome Binnom-Williams (undisclosed, Peterborough), David Gregory (free, Cambridge), Christopher Kettings (free, Oldham), Jake Gray (free, Luton), Emmanuel Adebayor, Reise Allassani, Andreas Breimyr, Marouane Chamakh, Connor Dymond, Spencer Forte, Matthew George, Brede Hangeland, William Hoare, Adrian Mariappa, Patrick McCarthy, Oliver Pain and Christian Scales (all released).

EVERTON
INS: Idrissa Gueye (£7.1m, Aston Villa), Maarten Stekelenburg (£850,000, Fulham).

OUTS: Russel Griffiths (loan, Cheltenham), Tim Howard (free, Colorado Rapids), Jordan Thornley (free, Sheffield Wednesday), Conor Grant (loan, Ipswich), Aidan Graham, Tony Hibbert, Leon Osman, Steven Pienaar, Felipe Rohde, Jindrich Stanek (all released).

HULL
INS: Jonathan Edwards (free, Peterborough), Will Mannion (free, AFC Wimbledon)

OUTS: Mohamed Diame (£4.5m), Sone Aluko (free, Fulham), Ben Clappison (free, York), Max Clark (loan, Cambridge), Ryan Taylor (released).

LEICESTER CITY
INS: Ahmed Musa (£16.6m, CSKA Moscow), Nampalys Mendy (£13m, Nice), Bartosz Kapustka (£7.5m, Cracovia), Ron-Robert Zieler (£3m, Hannover), Luis Hernandez (free, Sporting Gijon), Raul Uche (undisclosed, Rayo Vallecano).

OUTS: N’Golo Kante (£30m, Chelsea), Andrej Kramaric (£8.5m, Hoffenheim), Joe Dodoo (free, Rangers), Jacob Blyth (free, Motherwell), Jonathan Maddison (free, Yeovil), Ryan Watson (free, Barnet), Paul Konchesky (free, Gillingham), Callum Elder (loan, Brentford), Michael Cain (loan, Blackpool), Kyle Bailey, Jack Barmby, Dean Hammond, Aaron Hassall, Michael Kelly, Keenan King, Harrison Panayiotou, Mark Schwarzer and Max Smith-Varnam (all released).

LIVERPOOL
INS: Sadio Mane (£34m, Southampton), Georginio Wijnaldum (£25m, Newcastle), Loris Karius (£4.7m, Mainz), Ragnar Klavan (£4.2m, Augsburg), Alex Manninger (free, Augsburg), Joel Matip (free, Schalke).

OUTS: Jordon Ibe (£15m, Bournemouth), Joe Allen (£13.5m, Stoke), Martin Skrtel (£5.5m, Fenerbahce), Jerome Sinclair (£4m, Watford), Brad Smith (£3m, Bournemouth), Sergi Canos (£2.5m, Norwich), Lawrence Vigouroux (£400,000, Swindon), Jordan Rossiter (£250,000, Rangers), Joao Carlos Teixeira (£250,000, Porto), Jon Flanagan (loan, Burnley), Ryan Kent (loan, Barnsley), Danny Ward (loan, Huddersfield), Adam Bogdan (loan, Wigan), Lloyd Jones (loan, Swindon), Ryan Fulton (loan, Chesterfield), Jack Dunn (loan, Morecambe), Allan Rodrigues (loan, Hertha), Kolo Toure (free, Celtic), Daniel Cleary (free, Birmingham), William Marsh, Ryan McLaughlin, Alex O’Hanlon, Kristof Polgar, Jose Enrique and Samed Yesil (all released).

MANCHESTER CITY
INS: Leroy Sane (£37m, Schalke), Gabriel Jesus (£27m, Palmeiras), Ilkay Gundogan (£20.3m, Borussia Dortmund), Nolito (£13.8m, Celta Vigo), Marlos Moreno (Atletico Nacional, £4.7m), Oleksandr Zinchenko (£1.7m, FC Ufa), Aaron Mooy (free, Melbourne City).

OUTS: Seko Fofane (£3.8m, Udinese), Aaron Mooy (loan, Huddersfield), Jack Byrne (loan, Blackburn), Enes Unal (loan, FC Twente) Charlie Albinson, Martin Demichelis, Nathaniel Oseni, Sam Tattum, Richard Wright (all released).

MANCHESTER UNITED
INS: Eric Bailly (£30m, Villarreal), Henrikh Mkhitaryan (£26.3m, Borussia Dortmund), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (free, Paris Saint-Germain).

OUTS: Tyler Reid (undisclosed, Swansea), Ashley Fletcher (free, West Ham), Oliver Rathbone (free, Rochdale), Victor Valdes (free, Middlesbrough), Joe Rothwell (free, Oxford), Nick Powell (free, Wigan), Guillermo Varela (loan, Eintracht Frankfurt), George Dorrington (released).

MIDDLESBROUGH
INS: Marten de Roon (£12m, Atalanta), Viktor Fischer (£3.8m, Ajax), Antonio Barragan (£1.5m, Valencia), Alvaro Negredo (loan, Valencia), Brad Guzan (free, Aston Villa), Victor Valdes (free, Manchester United), Bernardo Espinosa (free, Sporting Gijon), Gaston Ramirez (free, Southampton), Jordan McGhee (loan, Hearts).

OUTS: Jonathan Burn (loan, Kilmarnock), Connor Ripley (loan, Oldham), Rhys Williams (free, Perth Glory), Luke Coddington (free, Huddersfield), Jordan Jones (free, Kilmarnock), Jonathan Woodgate, Damia Abella and Andre Bennett (all released).

SOUTHAMPTON
INS: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (£12.8m, Bayern Munich), Nathan Redmond (£10m, Norwich), Alex McCarthy (£2m, Crystal Palace), Jeremy Pied (free, Nice).

OUTS: Sadio Mane (£34m, Liverpool), Graziano Pelle (£12m, Shandong Luneng), Victor Wanyama (£11m, Tottenham), Juanmi (£2m, Real Sociedad), Gaston Ramirez (free, Middlesbrough), Jason McCarthy (loan, Walsall), Bevis Mugabi (loan, Yeovil), William Britt, Kelvin Davis (all released).

STOKE CITY
INS: Joe Allen (£13m, Liverpool), Ramadan Sobhi (£5million, Al Ahly), Ryan Sweeney (£250,000, AFC Wimbledon)

OUTS: Steven Sidwell (free, Brighton), Yusuf Coban (free, Hoffenheim), Benjamin Barber, (free, York), Mark Waddington (loan, Kilmarnock), Edward Dryden, Bobby Moseley, Ryan O’Reilly, Peter Odemwingie, Petros Skapetis and Mason Watkins-Clark (all released).

SUNDERLAND
INS: 

OUTS: Emanuele Giaccherini (£2m, Napoli), Santiago Vergini (£1.5m, Boca Juniors), Sebastian Coates (loan, Sporting), Will Buckley (loan, Sheffield Wednesday), Danny Graham (free, Blackburn), Steven Fletcher (free, Sheffield Wednesday), Martin Smith (free, Kilmarnock), Adam Matthews (loan, Bristol City), Wes Brown, Mikael Mandron, Liam Agnew and Steve Harper (all released).

SWANSEA CITY
INS: Leroy Fer (£4.75m, QPR), Mike van der Hoorn (£2m, Ajax), Fernando Llorente (£5m, Sevilla), Tyler Reid (undisclosed, Manchester United), Mark Birighitti (free, Newcastle Jets), George Byers (free, Watford).

OUTS: Alberto Paloschi (£5m, Atalanta), Eder (£4m, Lille), Matt Grimes (loan, Leeds), Raheem Hanley (free, Northampton), Bafetimbi Gomis (loan, Marseille), Andy King (loan, Southend), Oliver Davies (loan, Kilmarnock), Liam Shephard (loan, Yeovil), Kyle Bartley (loan, Leeds), Ryan Hedges (loan, Yeovil), Kenji Gorre (loan, Northampton), Daniel Alfei, Kyle Copp, James Demetriou, Stephen Fallon, Alexander Gogic, Henry Jones, Lee Lucas and Gareth Owen (all released).

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
INS: Vincent Janssen (£17m, AZ Alkmaar), Victor Wanyama (£11m, Southampton).

OUTS: Alex Pritchard (£8m, Norwich), Grant Ward (£600,000, Ipswich Town), Federico Fazio (loan, Roma), Filip Lesniak (loan, Slovan Liberec), Christopher Paul (free, QPR), Emmanuel Sonupe (released).

WATFORD
INS: Isaac Success (£8.25m, Granada), Christian Kabasele (£6m, Genk), Jerome Sinclair (£4m, Liverpool), Brice Dja Djedje (£4m, Marseille), Juan Camilo Zuniga (loan, Napoli).

OUTS: Almen Abdi (£4m, Sheffield Wednesday), Miguel Layun (£4m, Porto), Jose Manuel Jurado (£2.1m, Espanyol), Daniel Pudil (undisclosed, Sheffield Wednesday), Gabriele Angella (undisclosed, Udinese), Adalberto Peñaranda (loan, Udinese), Steven Berghuis (loan, Feyenoord), George Byers (free, Swansea), Josh Doherty (free, Leyton Orient), Obbi Oulare (loan, Zulte Waregem), Luke Simpson (free, York), Bernard Mensah Jnr (free, Aldershot), Joel Ekstrand, Uche Ikpeazu, Jorell Johnson, Mahlando Martin and Alfie Young (all released).

WEST BROMWICH ALBION
INS: Matt Phillips (£5.5m, QPR).

OUTS: Callam Jones (loan, Accrington), Tahvon Campbell (loan, Yeovil), Tyler Roberts (loan, Oxford), Chay Scrivens (loan, Torquay), Anders Lindegaard (free, Preston), Kyle Howkins (loan, Mansfield), Victor Anichebe, Samir Nabi and Stephane Sessegnon (all released).

WEST HAM UNITED
INS: Manuel Lanzini (£9.4m, Al Jazira Club), Toni Martinez (£2.5m, Valencia), Havard Nordtveit (free, Borussia Monchengladbach), Domingos Quina (free, Benfica), Sofiane Feghouli (free, Valencia), Gokhan Tore (loan, Besiktas), Ashley Fletcher (free, Manchester United).

OUTS: James Tomkins (£10m, Crystal Palace), Stephen Hendrie (loan, Blackburn), Elliot Lee (free, Barnsley), Kyle Knoyle (loan, Wigan), Antonio Brown, Alexander Chambers, Nathan Mavila, Lawrence Nasha and Martin O’Brien (all released)

Watching Women's Soccer in Olympics......

Listen how do people watch this boring ass sport. Ball goes out of bounds every 40 seconds, the field is too big and you can't hit. I hate to say hockey is the one true sport, but come on. Hockey has boards, big hits. 5 fucking minutes of a high level ice hockey game has more exciting plays than an entire half period or whatever of this shit.

3 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Listen how do people watch this boring ass sport. Ball goes out of bounds every 40 seconds, the field is too big and you can't hit. I hate to say hockey is the one true sport, but come on. Hockey has boards, big hits. 5 fucking minutes of a high level ice hockey game has more exciting plays than an entire half period or whatever of this shit.

I don't know if I can come up with a full-blown response to this post.  But if USA vs Sweden was the game you watched, then from what I've heard it was a boring game in general.  So you might not have gotten the best representation of the sport.

9 hours ago, solas said:

I don't know if I can come up with a full-blown response to this post.  But if USA vs Sweden was the game you watched, then from what I've heard it was a boring game in general.  So you might not have gotten the best representation of the sport.

Was Canada France. Although I also watched a bit of Brazil Australia. The game got a bit more interesting once Canada scored, but I still argue against out of bounds, size of the field, nets, and number of times players on the field. It seems to me all that stuff gets in the way and drags the game on. I get that people want it to be hard to make a big impact, but individual plays mean little when it's so hard to get the ball down field much less in the net.

In hockey you get a bit of passing in your own end but if you can't carry the puck in people can dump and chase because boards, and the rink is so small. Individual battles and plays mean more. It's my major gripe with most other pro sports. That doesn't even factor the speed at which players can move on skates, or hitting. The rules of the sport are just designed to create action most of the time, at least at high levels of play.

13 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Hockey is so fucking boring to watch it's incredible

34 minutes ago, stevo said:

Hockey is so fucking boring to watch it's incredible

I couldn't disagree more. Sport to me needs to be a good mix of science and actual fucking battle. You'll never see a cursing dude getting stitched up and bleeding ready to go out and crush a mofo sitting on the bench. Hockey also has fighting. These other sports are for cowards, the players have pushed so hard for safety and "skill" and yet still get paid millions. As a fan of a sport if I'm watching dudes get millions there better be some sacrifice on their end. It may sound violent but that is one of the reasons i watch sports. Not just for analysing the finer science but also to release some testosterone. 

Any sport with tons of stoppages and not serious full contact is for overpaid babies. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Power said:

I couldn't disagree more. Sport to me needs to be a good mix of science and actual fucking battle. You'll never see a cursing dude getting stitched up and bleeding ready to go out and crush a mofo sitting on the bench. Hockey also has fighting. These other sports are for cowards, the players have pushed so hard for safety and "skill" and yet still get paid millions. As a fan of a sport if I'm watching dudes get millions there better be some sacrifice on their end. It may sound violent but that is one of the reasons i watch sports. Not just for analysing the finer science but also to release some testosterone. 

Any sport with tons of stoppages and not serious full contact is for overpaid babies. 

So grown males skating on ice embodies testosterone for you? Alrighty then...

13 minutes ago, stevo said:

So grown males skating on ice embodies testosterone for you? Alrighty then...

The skating leads to speed which can and does lead to huge bone crushing hits. And if teams are rivals you can get organic fights. I just don't understand the obsession with pure finesse/skill sports with rules that prevent an average player from doing what would happen in real life.

When I played pick up soccer as a kid, there were no fouls. You battled through it. You didn't try to injure someone but if you run for the ball and plow through someone, you'd say get up and suck it up. But the rules can turn this shit into basically an Olympic diving competition. All I'm doing is watching a boring ass routine. I want to see human will and effort translate into big plays, big moments. In hockey an average player can stop the best player in the world by hard work. Finesse and skill still matter, but the rules don't cater to either side. So players have to have heart and determination to tough it out and succeed. 

Edited by Mr. Power