To Stay on or Step Down

Advantage

This is a very difficult decision for many General Managers who have been going on for quite some time.  Mike recently wrote in his mag article about how you have to step down when the time is right, and to be honest, I have felt that the time could be right recently.

This is my twelfth season as a General Manager and with multiple cups, many playoff appearances and some fantastic teammates, I have pretty much accomplished what I wanted to.  The only thing left is to pass Jason Glasser for the longest GM reign in VHL history.  The idea is admittedly pretty cool to be the longest reigning GM, but I also don't want to stay on just for that reason.  I have my GM successor hand picked and interested (hint, he is British) and I wouldn't mind taking a step back in this league.

However, as sterling once said (I am paraphrasing), 'stop considering quitting and go get that record.'  It does make me wonder, why get so close only to not do it? One has to weigh that against the ability to be around.  So what shall I do? Stay on or step down?

Longest GM Tenures in VHL History

Jason Glasser (16 Seasons)

Lucas Tannahill (13 Seasons)

Christopher Miller (12 Seasons)

Mike Szatkowski (12 Seasons)

David Knight (10 Seasons)