Cologne GM Under Heavy Scrutiny For Off-Season Moves

Devise

I for one read the entire thing, maybe it’s because I was expecting to be mentioned, who knows. I think you make a valid point that the old “tank, dominate, repeat” model has been broken down a bit in recent years. Teams that have looked amazing on paper have faltered compared to teams with depth but no star power.

I’m not 100% convinced on your theory as I read it (which may be wrong) in the sense that this is a trend the VHL is leaning towards. However, I do think it could be accurate right now. As our “team of 2nd liners” proved last season, star power isn’t everything and the gap between a 700 TPE player and a 1000 TPE player isn’t as large as one might think. With that said, the cap not moving with inflation has made it so that having 2-3 “star” 1000 TPE players is near impossible while having 5-6 “average” 500-700 TPE is more than doable. I think that is what’s currently breaking the repeating cycle model that the VHL thrived on for 40 seasons.

I think if inflation gets dealt with or the cap goes up, we’ll go back to that cycle. In a way, I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. At least it rewards GM’s for having to deal with shit seasons and drafting well. However, in another way I like your viewpoint that maybe this balancing of “good” players is creating a league parity that we haven’t had before. No matter what at least this creates an interesting viewpoint.

Fun fact: When I realized how long this post was I considered making it a 590 myself in response to this one. However I fear that could start a trend of people getting free TPE just for responses they would be writing anyway. So instead, enjoy this 300 word response.

Barely a week on Cologne and Beketov has turned into Devise Jr

I don't think you need to go rebuild Helsinki style, but the way I see it, Cologne is going through what almost looks like a Vasteras-like attempt at a run with good to mediocre players during a time when the European Conference is at an all-time high in competitiveness. It definitely could work (as in making the playoffs, and for shiggles, we'll even say a cup run), but I think there would have been a higher chance of success (as in cup, not playoffs) if Cologne would have bid their time for a season or two, and then started to collect the players that become cap casualties from the building EU teams.

Although this obviously could all change if a EU team decides to sell off some assets.

Helsinki were able to jumped the gun because other gms made shit decisions in giving them all their picks. Draper did what he should have done which is keeping his top picks and still be able to trade for O'Malley and Klose. The only won one really jumped the gun (imo) is Riga by giving up 3rd oa.

It's okay we'll rig our way to victory.