S48 VHL Entry Draft Discussion

Higgins

I've voiced my frustrations on GM successions for probably 15 seasons at this point, so maybe you can understand my overreaction.  You act like I'm way off base here when every other GM I've heard from, including Draper, has agreed with me that Davos is not getting fairly treated.

no, I don't think you did this knowing that DGFX would fall to you or in an effort to get a better prospect for Helsinki, but you called my argument into question for saying Davos would totally ruin the draft by getting Komarov 13th. Which is complete and utter bullshit - I think that's well established. And Helsinki was a major benefactor of this, so that was my point. no sane person could argue that.

i really think you looked at a draft board, looked at ranking, and took zero other factors into consideration. A much too simple solution for a complicated matter.

i know I fucked Davos over and I really apologize for having a life over Christmas and New Years and not being able to draft, sign FAs, etc. when I was in goddamn Bolivia. I made a poor plan and that wasn't the BOGs fault, but this poor decision made today (a few hours before the draft) definitely falls on you

Edited by CoachReilly

Heres how i look at it, i dont know much of the past ruling on this, or the teams situations in comparison to mine. However the way i see it, well it sucks im the first step in fixing what appears to have been a broken system. Only way to fix it is to start it, someones going to get screwed over regardless.

Now, if i see a future case like mine where a GM gets to use their second rounder ill be mad, but if this ends up correcting it like it should then im fine with it. Does it suck yes, id love to have added 3 good prospects to what is a very barren team. But im not going to whine about it, im going to put on my big boy pants and try to build this team into a contender no ifs and or buts

Edited by Gooningitup

And I wouldn't expect you to do anything different because you're a good dude. But you need shit to work with, and you got a little squeezed tonight - and I do think there are some things that need to be addressed.

Victor - you were around two seasons ago? You've always been BOG from what I can tell.  How did your reasoning from one selection to another change? The situations are strikingly similar to SEA and TOR.

• Admin
5 hours ago, CoachReilly said:

And I wouldn't expect you to do anything different because you're a good dude. But you need shit to work with, and you got a little squeezed tonight - and I do think there are some things that need to be addressed.

Victor - you were around two seasons ago? You've always been BOG from what I can tell.  How did your reasoning from one selection to another change? The situations are strikingly similar to SEA and TOR.

http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/21199-seator-s43-off-season/

That thread more or less encompasses the reasoning behind the Seattle decision. Toronto was probably done the same way because it was the same time and it wasn't worth the argument.

Fuck knows what I was doing at the time, but the logic, as I said earlier, was lesser of two evils.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

5th overall! I thought I might be but I figured I was a long shot with Cole and Dadonov well in front of me in TPE. I won't let it be a bad decision :D

Just don't get banned by eaglesfan. That would be an all-time low considering he has no authority here.

1 minute ago, Victor said:

Just don't get banned by eaglesfan. That would be an all-time low considering he has no authority here.

I get banned 2-3 times a day by him, I'm used to it

Just to clarify, Davos got the 8th rated prospect at 7th overall, that's hardly a screw job- in fact teams reach every season. Seattle took a guy with less TPE at 5th otherwise the TPE difference would have been minute. So how in your logic does 8th to 7th make less sense than 8th to 13th?

2 hours ago, Kendrick said:

You played yourself by not doing scouting on anyone.

to be fair he was in the list of draftable players. How about leaving a retired player in the draft... **Disappointing head shake** 

8 minutes ago, gregreg said:

to be fair he was in the list of draftable players. How about leaving a retired player in the draft... **Disappointing head shake** 

Oh I agree they both shouldn't have been there. However, he has stated he doesn't scout anyone and that turned up biting him in the ass.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Oh I agree they both shouldn't have been there. However, he has stated he doesn't scout anyone and that turned up biting him in the ass.

this is true and it's not even hard to do any more with the lovely VHLSC we get 

Just now, gregreg said:

this is true and it's not even hard to do any more with the lovely VHLSC we get 

Yeah see the Randy Savage one makes sense, because I even had him still on the VHLSC in the latest issue (Mock Draft) and had no clue he had retired. One quick look at Titan Kronos' player thread and brovy would've realized the draft date of the player. I'm not sure I've ever seen a GM not look at a players thread before drafting him like that and so early in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

He did scout reasonably, I'd spoken to him a fair bit before the draft so it's not like he came in completely unaware. It's kinda not his fault if the guy's there on the list, regardless of whether he's not done his due diligence 

Just now, Daniel said:

He did scout reasonably, I'd spoken to him a fair bit before the draft so it's not like he came in completely unaware. It's kinda not his fault if the guy's there on the list, regardless of whether he's not done his due diligence 

It is still standard that a GM looks at a player's thread before drafting him, it's kind of one of the first things to do.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah see the Randy Savage one makes sense, because I even had him still on the VHLSC in the latest issue (Mock Draft) and had no clue he had retired. One quick look at Titan Kronos' player thread and brovy would've realized the draft date of the player. I'm not sure I've ever seen a GM not look at a players thread before drafting him like that and so early in the draft.

well actually Kronos is listed as a S48 player: http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/27758-s48-d-titan-kronos-tpe-78-2-banked-que/

I imagine looking at the player page date that due to proximity to the trade deadline he was allowed to be a S49 player, but clearly that was forgotten when the thread was made.

A clusterfuck all around.

Draper and I are discussing our options on this. Would love to play for the team that drafted me. Only reservation I am having is regarding the years until I auto retire. With me being under 100 TPE it is safe to assume that I get sent down to the minors. Do those years count towards my retirement?

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Evans said:

Draper and I are discussing our options on this. Would love to play for the team that drafted me. Only reservation I am having is regarding the years until I auto retire. With me being under 100 TPE it is safe to assume that I get sent down to the minors. Do those years count towards my retirement?

Yes they would. That's the major disadvantage.