Traveling overseas

Pavel_Ovechkin

So as an america traveling to russia, this summer or next i was wondering what are some things i should expect? and will i be able to pay for things in ruble like an every day russian person, or would i still have to pay the equal american dollar (for example i get a hotel thats 200 ruble, would i still have to pay 200 US Dollars) because i was looking and theres a pretty significant difference between the US Dollar and a Russian Ruble, its 1 dollar for almost 80 ruble, so about 200 US Dollars could get me pretty far, but i feel like thats not how it works? 

long story short i was thinking about avoiding getting my hotel room until i got to Russia due to the exchange rate making it alot easier on my wallet. 

• Senior Admin

Usually any international airport would have an exchange kiosk where you can swap currencies 

But yeah, weird destination for an american, what sends you to mother russia?

2 minutes ago, Draper said:

You could go see your bank or an exchange office before you go and see about exchanging some USD for rubles ahead of time.

But yeah, weird destination for an american, what sends you to mother russia?

My families homeland. Always wanted to visit.  I'm not worried about exchanging the money it self, I'm worried about if I'll have to pay American dollar prices or I'll pay ruble Russian prices in Russia. 

Edited by Pavel_Ovechkin

Since the exchange rate makes the USD so much more valuable, I'm pretty sure they know the basic exchange rate at small shops and would adjust pricing. As for a hotel or airport or someplace major, they would probably accept both payment methods but convert it so like 128 rubles or $16 USD. I know in Mexico though, very few places accepted USD.

16 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

Since the exchange rate makes the USD so much more valuable, I'm pretty sure they know the basic exchange rate at small shops and would adjust pricing. As for a hotel or airport or someplace major, they would probably accept both payment methods but convert it so like 128 rubles or $16 USD. I know in Mexico though, very few places accepted USD.

see im not worried about them accepting dollars, im worried about for example i didn't book a hotel online because it would cost me 250 american dollars a night, but i waited to get that same room in person in russia for 250 rubles (about 6 US dollars after tax) would i pay in rubles or american dollars (the 250 dollars)?  

9 minutes ago, Pavel_Ovechkin said:

see im not worried about them accepting dollars, im worried about for example i didn't book a hotel online because it would cost me 250 american dollars a night, but i waited to get that same room in person in russia for 250 rubles (about 6 US dollars after tax) would i pay in rubles or american dollars (the 250 dollars)?  

If you looked up hotel prices online and it says it's $250 US, I would expect you to get there and it cost 20,000 rubles. The cost to stay there doesn't just change like that. You're comparing apples to apples but it doesn't work like that. when you buy a book or magazine, a lot of the time they'll have USD and Canadian prices. They're not the same price because of the exchange rate. A $10 USD book is $14.38 Canadian, not $10.

Edited by evrydayimbyfuglien

Russia's actually a beautiful place to visit - would like to go myself and know a few people who have. I'm assuming you're going to St. Petersberg or Moscow, in which case you should be fine. I wouldn't wear an American flag to a bar or anything, but those cities are large enough and major tourist destinations in their own right that you'll fit in fine. Depending on the length of time you're looking to stay (and if you're going by yourself), I'd look into a hostel. They're more common in Europe and much cheaper for an extended stay if you don't care about accommodations or shared living conditions. @evrydayimbyfuglien is right on about conversion rates, and things tend to be more expensive in a major city anyway (especially if they know you're a tourist and are staying around tourist-y areas).

Also, definitely go in the summer. The German army learned this lesson the hard way.

3 hours ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

yeah i did my research on hostels and thats probably the way ill go since im looking to stay somewhere between 5-8 days (not counting days flying out and flying back) i wouldn't be looking to use my room for anything more then sleep anyways. i kinda want to go to Sochi to see all the olympic stuff. 

• Admin

As a fluent Russian speaker (though not born there), even I am hesitant on the possibility of ever going there.

But I mean tourists can have a good time there so good on ya for going pretty exotic anyway. I think most of the essentials were covered above.