16 Issues

Molholt

So I served as the VHL Magazine's editor for 4 months. My first issue, which I didn't realize at the time, was Edition 260 - which was the magazine's 5th year (if we say every issue was a week and no one ever missed ha) of existence (52 X 5 = 260). That's a pretty big milestone, so my 4 months is such a small dent in the longevity of it. The magazine is closing in on 300 issues, which is another big milestone. 

I had fun with the magazine at first, taking the whole thing and starting from scratch, building a new formatting and layout for it. I also got to work with a lot of talented members and hopefully bring out some of their talents. Solas no longer had to mess with text and titles and could just focus on graphics. The VHLM coverage was salvaged after the VHLM Mag shut down by bringing on Adwyer87 and Christmas, who have some of the best articles in the magazine. I somehow got Sterling to contribute again, and the magazine has had articles from Victor on more than one occasion. Some of those things you just have to complain about to make happen. 

The magazine isn't worth doing for me anymore, which is why I have stepped down. You're paid 1 extra TPE for hours of work, when (especially with the grading change) I can get the 6 TPE from a PT in probably a 1/4 of the time. It's hard to get and keep readership, although it has been much better in recent weeks. It's also a hassle to try and get everyone to stay on top of their job all the time, when even I don't want to do things on time either. Lastly, posts like Kendrick's give me a headache and make me not want to continue dealing with it. I believe in protecting my writers if I'm going to be the editor. It was just a small portion, but it was probably my last straw for this decision. Plus, according to Kendrick, because I didn't like the way he went about doing something, I'm not allowed to ask the BOG for ideas or help with the magazine anymore, so, it is better for someone else to run it. 

Sounds like they've got it under control already, so I'm sure you'll have the magazine back without missing a beat (or The Beat), I just won't be doing it anymore. It was fun while it lasted! Here are some thoughts on the issues that I served as editor for:

260: Revamped Magazine & this comment from Gorlab, "New formatting is cleaner than a nun's vocabulary."

261: Solas' first cover without dealing with the text. I loved this one.

262: RobbieZ contributing an editorial, just to mix things up. 

263: Back when Stamkos did articles that were easy to format.

264: Two lottery winners! One of which probably never claimed it.

265: Cowboy switched to Riga for The Beat, which was so much better for finding images.

266: VHLM is back in magazine form with VHLM Spotlight!

267: The first of many issues where I forgot to change the subheader from "Hall of Fame" & another of my favorite covers.

268: Toasty brings back Victory Three! Also, a wild iR appears.

269: Stamkos wrote 2 articles because he's a jerk. World B. Free interview makes my Toronto bias happy.

270: The last issue with "Hall of Fame", also Brovy went from boosting Toronto as an "up" to a "down." :(

271: Probably our smallest issue, but I liked this comment from Cowboy, "Booo, I wanted to hear about the Hall of Fame."

272: One of my favorite quotes from Advantage, on O'Malley, "He could very well be the standad by which this next era gets compared to."

273: All-star edition. Drapist returned (and I left that as his name), Adwyer joined us for more VHLM coverage, Victor came back and Sterling joined us as well. A huge issue.

274: Most comments we had while I was editing. First time that we had two VHLM articles also. Notification/announcement continues to help readership all-around.

275: My last edition. We had a ton of content and I think all of it was top notch. Perfect way to go out.

Thanks to everyone that contributed, helped and spurred along the magazine for these 16 issues!

Great work, M. The Mag can be a serious bitch to put together and organize, and even more discouraging when you don't get many readers. Hopefully we can get more interest in it again, as it's pretty incredible that it's been around this long.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Mag is a bitch to do. I look greedy when I'm saying that doing all that shit for 1 more tpe is just too much work for the benefits. Anyway, hoping the league will find an editor to do that. 

Then make the pay 9 a week.

15 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Mag editor used to get 8 TPE, but I suppose that must've been reduced or at some point forgotten.

No that is still the case. But that boils down to an extra 1 TPE above all the mag writers and such. My suggestion wasn't just for editor btw, I felt it was kind of silly that people could buy a MS upgrade and put in way less work/grammar and earn just as much TPE as the writers on the mag. The Mag is a staple, and I suggested we pay everyone on it 9 TPE per week. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Power said:

No that is still the case. But that boils down to an extra 1 TPE above all the mag writers and such. My suggestion wasn't just for editor btw, I felt it was kind of silly that people could buy a MS upgrade and put in way less work/grammar and earn just as much TPE as the writers on the mag. The Mag is a staple, and I suggested we pay everyone on it 9 TPE per week. 

Mag writers can buy the upgrade as well, can they not?

Just now, sterling said:

I just decreed that as such, it's the will of the people

I don't think mag writers need 9 a week though, it's not really difficult and is easier than writing a MS as it is

10 minutes ago, sterling said:

I don't think mag writers need 9 a week though, it's not really difficult and is easier than writing a MS as it is

Should be a premium on quality content, might make Brovy actually learn the difference in their and there. 

Just now, Molholt said:

Should be a premium on quality content, might make Brovy actually learn the difference in their and there. 

Premium content is a bit subjective though, that's what started this bruhaha

1 hour ago, Streetlight said:

Mag writers can buy the upgrade as well, can they not?

Nope:

Point Task Upgrade - $2,000,000
-Adds 1 TPE to your weekly point task (media spot, graphic, etc.)
-Active for 8 weeks of the season
-Will count against the weekly TPE cap

- NEW FOR SEASON 46 - Cannot be used in combination with magazine submissions

2 hours ago, Streetlight said:

Mag editor used to get 8 TPE, but I suppose that must've been reduced or at some point forgotten.

Yup, Editor has always been 8 TPE a week, even in VHLM..