Two Players Proposal

Will

Two Players Proposal  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Senior Admin

Now that Victor has consolidated most of what was discussed in the lengthy initial suggestion thread, I'd like to do another poll and see where the community stands now that it's laid out for the most part. 

Two Players Proposal

Please give that thread a read before casting your vote if you haven't already. Also feel free to include some explanation on why you do or don't support the proposal in this thread, I haven't fully decided my stance on it yet and I'd like to hear from some more of the community.

The ultimate question for me is: Will it help bring in new, active members? Frankly, I'm ambivalent. I see the excitement it brings; I also am sympathetic to the complexity point. I feel like I'd need to see some sort of recruitment plan or how it's a centerpiece for a people push before I threw my whole weight behind it.

I am strongly against this proposal, I don't think it is going to help what actually needs to be fixed. 

Also, I really don't like this part: 

2. Two players on the same team

I believe there was no opposition to my suggestion as follows:

Draft

Second player can be drafted to the team of the first player BUT NOT if the user forces other GMs to pass on him.

Free Agency

Under no circumstances can a user choose to sign with one of their players to the team of the other.

Trades

No trades which bypass the FA restriction above (i.e. sign and trade). Otherwise, free trade remains.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We need to make this simple, both of your players cannot be on the same team and that's final. Otherwise, there are too many ways to work around it. As a GM, if this rule applies I am going to create my second player and if I don't draft him I will insta retire him. I will not be forcing other teams to not draft my player, but if they do it will be an insta retire from me. Why would I help out an opposing team? 

5 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I am strongly against this proposal, I don't think it is going to help what actually needs to be fixed. 

Also, I really don't like this part: 

2. Two players on the same team

I believe there was no opposition to my suggestion as follows:

Draft

Second player can be drafted to the team of the first player BUT NOT if the user forces other GMs to pass on him.

Free Agency

Under no circumstances can a user choose to sign with one of their players to the team of the other.

Trades

No trades which bypass the FA restriction above (i.e. sign and trade). Otherwise, free trade remains.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We need to make this simple, both of your players cannot be on the same team and that's final. Otherwise, there are too many ways to work around it. As a GM, if this rule applies I am going to create my second player and if I don't draft him I will insta retire him. I will not be forcing other teams to not draft my player, but if they do it will be an insta retire from me. Why would I help out an opposing team? 

That pretty much falls under the  "Second player can be drafted to the team of the first player BUT NOT if the user forces other GMs to pass on him."

You would likely be barred from re-creating another player or something else.

Plus you need to wait 3 seasons?

• Admin
1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

The ultimate question for me is: Will it help bring in new, active members? Frankly, I'm ambivalent. I see the excitement it brings; I also am sympathetic to the complexity point. I feel like I'd need to see some sort of recruitment plan or how it's a centerpiece for a people push before I threw my whole weight behind it.

21 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

why does everything have to be geared towards recruitment? This is an unhealthy obsession, not to mention an unfair way to judge new ideas.

This is about retention more anyway. You know, like improving the VHLM. Why did we bother constantly reforming the VHLM if it doesn't help recruitment?

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

This is about retention more anyway. You know, like improving the VHLM. Why did we bother constantly reforming the VHLM if it doesn't help recruitment?

Is it? I don't see it that way. It doesn't change something structurally about the league like the VHLM does, or like changing a point earning structure does, or even creating a magazine and more job opportunities does. All it adds is more players, which to me if they're not going to stick around for one, I don't see how the option of "more time to sink in!" is going to change that.

To me, the main draw of two players is to give people on the fence about creating in the first place more options and double the chances of creating a star. People already here apparently don't need that draw, or are happy with something in the current system anyway. So yes, recruitment.

• Admin
1 minute ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Is it? I don't see it that way. It doesn't change something structurally about the league like the VHLM does, or like changing a point earning structure does, or even creating a magazine and more job opportunities does. All it adds is more players, which to me if they're not going to stick around for one, I don't see how the option of "more time to sink in!" is going to change that.

To me, the main draw of two players is to give people on the fence about creating in the first place more options and double the chances of creating a star. People already here apparently don't need that draw, or are happy with something in the current system anyway. So yes, recruitment.

more players = more active LRs

more players = less shitty teams, more parity

the state of the VHLM, most of its LRs, as well as 30-40% of VHL teams from season to season is not a good look.

1 minute ago, Victor said:

more players = more active LRs

more players = less shitty teams, more parity

the state of the VHLM, most of its LRs, as well as 30-40% of VHL teams from season to season is not a good look.

That's fair. Still maintain that recruitment is relevant though, and this is a hell of a radical change to make for primarily more active LRs.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

That's fair. Still maintain that recruitment is relevant though, and this is a hell of a radical change to make for primarily more active LRs.

Obviously recruitment is relevant but not everything has to be geared towards it.

In fact, how do you even make a league-wide change to benefit recruitment? Recruitment, not retention. Recruitment means appealing to outsiders. Nothing we do inside makes any sense to outsiders to start with so wtf? Recruitment ideas I get, but recruitment is a background process, when has anything ever been implemented rule change-wise to benefit recruitment? Is that even physically possible? It's not like we're a marketing agency, out product is pretty intangible anyway....

Seriously guys, how is this even a counter-argument?

15 minutes ago, Victor said:

In fact, how do you even make a league-wide change to benefit recruitment? Recruitment, not retention. Recruitment means appealing to outsiders. Nothing we do inside makes any sense to outsiders to start with so wtf? Recruitment ideas I get, but recruitment is a background process, when has anything ever been implemented rule change-wise to benefit recruitment? Is that even physically possible? It's not like we're a marketing agency, out product is pretty intangible anyway....

Seriously guys, how is this even a counter-argument?

By making the product more appealing. Lots of changes do that, I disagree that the product is intangible. This fundamentally changes how you do those background processes, how you sell the league to outsiders, the first thing they'll notice after the fact it's hockey and the teams. The VHL is now "that two player league" as a key part of its identity with a change. It absolutely has an affect. I agree not everything has to be geared towards recruitment; it's my opinion that this should, or at least be a large consideration.

Anyway, no point in arguing with me. I said I'm ambivalent, I'm already fine with two players. I don't think that new identity is a bad thing. It's the Sterlings and Eagles of the world you should probably be arguing with.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

By making the product more appealing. Lots of changes do that, I disagree that the product is intangible. This fundamentally changes how you do those background processes, how you sell the league to outsiders, the first thing they'll notice after the fact it's hockey and the teams. The VHL is now "that two player league" as a key part of its identity with a change. It absolutely has an affect. I agree not everything has to be geared towards recruitment; it's my opinion that this should, or at least be a large consideration.

Anyway, no point in arguing with me. I said I'm ambivalent, I'm already fine with two players. I don't think that new identity is a bad thing. It's the Sterlings and Eagles of the world you should probably be arguing with.

If you asked me, I wouldn't mention it in recruitment at all. Much for the same reason my proposal for junior players was shut down, it IS probably too confusing for new members. I don't think it should be referenced in any new member guides, just something to come into contact with later.

Unless there's a valid case that it would be an effective recruitment tool that is.

1 hour ago, Molholt said:

Everyone should come up with a recruitment idea that actually helps if they are so concerned.

Or, just give @Kendrick however much TPE he wants and let him go at it. Give him a 1,000 TPE player for recruiting and he will find a way to get us more members. 

im so down for this. i say we give @Kendrick and @Green tpe to get more members. 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

110 active members (assuming most have 2) is really 55 active members.

Yeah but you don't just ignore one of your LRs.

Ideally activity doubles. At worst it should be multiply by 1.5.

6 hours ago, Victor said:

Yeah but you don't just ignore one of your LRs.

Ideally activity doubles. At worst it should be multiply by 1.5.

If we are trying to make LR activity double why would we allow both players to be on the same team?

• Senior Admin
18 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

If we are trying to make LR activity double why would we allow both players to be on the same team?

I don't think the point of it is specifically to double LR activity..

• Admin
10 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Not everyone will be on the same team though....

Yeah circumstances aren't always going to work out to allow players to be on the same team. And if they auto retired, or whatever have you we'd have consequences in plae to prevent that type of abuse. Whether that be x number of seasons until they can recreate, or not allow it altogether after so many. 

Also I think it speaks to your character as a member Eagles when you flat out said you'd just retire if drafted by another team. Unless you were purely using that as an example, the VHL as it stands currently has tons of exploitable rules that operate on a good faith basis that see punishment if abused regularly.