2016-2017 NHL Discussion

Kendrick

2 hours ago, tfong said:

Is anyone else as surprised as me with the step Zucker has taken this season with his game? Thought it was a hot streak but the guy is legitimately keeping it going.

Yeah I said that a couple weeks ago to myself and thought he'd cool off by now. He always had skill but Minnesota kept going out and grabbing a FA and he could never move up the depth chart. The Wild's current management will always look for a FA (like Sather did in NYR).

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah I said that a couple weeks ago to myself and thought he'd cool off by now. He always had skill but Minnesota kept going out and grabbing a FA and he could never move up the depth chart. The Wild's current management will always look for a FA (like Sather did in NYR).

Also at the beginning of the season during his first streak Wild fans i saw were tagging him as their exposure bait. But now it looks like second thoughts. Guy is just entering his scoring prime years too, so thats probably going to make it harder now for them to expose him if he keeps this up.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, boubabi said:

All refs need to this from now on. Seriously if they just started selling it like minor league baseball umpires the NHL would be the most watched sport on the planet. :P 

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

His past few years have been "off years" 

He has almost been at a point per game on a team with no legit other scorer besides Voracek. Maybe he isn't as good as you once thought and he was just overreaching in those years?

Yeah as a fan of Giroux I kinda always felt early on when he was doing great with Philly that he was a bit overrated. I kinda felt like he was a very solid around player with some offensive gifts, but that he wasn't the "game breaker" that people sometimes looked at him as. I mean it was the coach at the time Laviolette trying to say things like Giroux was the best player playing the game. I mean I'd rank tons of NHLers ahead of him in terms of overall game, consistency, ability to be a game breaker.

He's still great, I put him under in no particular order, Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kane, Tavares, McDavid. As some examples. I'd put him on the same tier I think Rick Nash is on, or was on during parts of his career. A great player with moments of pure brilliance who is consistent enough to be a top point getter for a team. But he isn't going to carry a team offensively like some of the others listed have at times, or is all around play isn't as elite as some of theirs imo. 

@eaglesfan036 is just trying to get me riled up.

@Devise *snipped* Giroux is no longer the player he once was (although he's still very very good, just not "great"), but not too long ago he was leading the NHL in points over a 5 year span. Hard to compare that to Rick Nash.

Okay so we got rid of Kyle Quincey (good riddance) and got rid of PA Paranteau who might just be the softest player in the NHL. Good deadline for us.

Also, how about that Curtis Lazar trade? Ottawa finally got a trade right.

Filppula 4th and 7th to Flyers

Streit to Tampa, then Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh 4th to Tampa

I can't think of another win-win-win trade like this?

Flyers get a 2bC/3C for a good cap hit, but only 1 year. Fills a glaring hole in the top 9, possibly opens up a spot for one of Morin/Hagg for this year. Get 2 more draft picks.

Tampa no longer has to protect Filppula in the expansion draft since he had a NMC and can use his money to re-sign their RFAs.

Pittsburgh gets a decent PP QB and someone who's not a complete liability at ES for relatively cheap.