Why do no FAs want to come to Cologne?

RomanesEuntDomus

Your reason(s) for not joining Cologne  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I meant it as dont complain in the future. You know, since that is what this thread is about.

Oh I have no intentions on it. I have been relatively quiet in this league and barely speak anything. This was just me expressing my opinion on how I feel about it.

I'm just answering the thread question for why people didn't sign with Cologne. I'm not a player, but I've had two different players personally tell me they didn't like that they were sent multiple PM's to join Cologne, while they were still playing games for Helsinki and trying to win.

Well there are people out there who don't mind it, (myself and probably some others out there) and then the people who would rather go the route of either someone else on the team they are friends with or trying to bandwagon a team. I understand both and it's pretty fun at times but like I said, me personally, I would love to know who is active and who wants me to be on their team.

For the record I think Kendrick is a stand up guy and I'd play for him if not for circumstances.

So all you people questioning his character are out to lunch.

For the most part, I agree with this. He and I have had a few issues periodically (one was just last week, for example) but he's just trying to do what he thinks is best, even if at times his opinion doesn't line up with many others. There were a few times I'd have gone to Cologne if I'd been a FA at the time and not a GM.

For the most part, I agree with this. He and I have had a few issues periodically (one was just last week, for example) but he's just trying to do what he thinks is best, even if at times his opinion doesn't line up with many others. There were a few times I'd have gone to Cologne if I'd been a FA at the time and not a GM.

I wouldn't call that an issue. Just a different view on things, I still respect you over what you were doing because anyone in their right mind would gain assets regardless.

Honestly lumping this situation together as if its all connected isn't fair. Cologne doesn't have one big reason why they don't attract FA. Honestly they do attract FA, they are easily 2 or 3 on most FA list. The issue is they don't attract FA as good as the other teams the FA decide to go to. You don't see people put Vasteras on their list of teams to go to unless they are PensFan.

As discussed in the other thread when Bora/I were both FA we were going to go to Cologne or Quebec. But from my experience both as a GM and seeing around this league, look for FA go. The illusion that it is "friends" based is a pretty funny one. Or that people want to win a quick Cup. Everyone wants to win, and they are going to go to a team that best helps them do that in FA. But they are also going to go to a team that fits right for them. When I signed in Quebec I wasn't good friends with anyone. They traded for Jericho and of course I am with him but that is one person. Even look a few years back, before New York won the Cup in S32 I ended up collecting 2 quality free agents that year. You know how I did that? I traded for Alex Chershenko. Bold move since I did it before FA and I could of wound up empty handed, but star power players and known quality members in this league attract FA. 

I love the roster on Cologne. Kendrick is an underrated GM, they have plenty of under the radar guys who have done nothing but improve. But other than Kendrick there isn't anyone who screams "I'm one of the elite members in this league." For better of for worse FA's look at that. Example? STZ tests and signs in Cologne? Then count yourself among a place where likely several other FA would have signed. Ultimately though it isn't to my knowledge a beef about the Express. It's that other teams have done better in terms of attracting as much certainty at both winning and players that have a history of being extremely active.  

Honestly lumping this situation together as if its all connected isn't fair. Cologne doesn't have one big reason why they don't attract FA. Honestly they do attract FA, they are easily 2 or 3 on most FA list. The issue is they don't attract FA as good as the other teams the FA decide to go to. You don't see people put Vasteras on their list of teams to go to unless they are PensFan.

As discussed in the other thread when Bora/I were both FA we were going to go to Cologne or Quebec. But from my experience both as a GM and seeing around this league, look for FA go. The illusion that it is "friends" based is a pretty funny one. Or that people want to win a quick Cup. Everyone wants to win, and they are going to go to a team that best helps them do that in FA. But they are also going to go to a team that fits right for them. When I signed in Quebec I wasn't good friends with anyone. They traded for Jericho and of course I am with him but that is one person. Even look a few years back, before New York won the Cup in S32 I ended up collecting 2 quality free agents that year. You know how I did that? I traded for Alex Chershenko. Bold move since I did it before FA and I could of wound up empty handed, but star power players and known quality members in this league attract FA. 

I love the roster on Cologne. Kendrick is an underrated GM, they have plenty of under the radar guys who have done nothing but improve. But other than Kendrick there isn't anyone who screams "I'm one of the elite members in this league." For better of for worse FA's look at that. Example? STZ tests and signs in Cologne? Then count yourself among a place where likely several other FA would have signed. Ultimately though it isn't to my knowledge a beef about the Express. It's that other teams have done better in terms of attracting as much certainty at both winning and players that have a history of being extremely active.  

All that is true but after 5 or 6 seasons of narrowly missing out on almost everyone, the answer "I just liked team xy a little more" doesn't feel like it's good enough anymore.

The star power argument is definitely a valid one, I didn't include it because parts of it are covered by some of the others answers already, but maybe I should have. Kameron Taylor is a bonafide superstar though, so on ice that argument doesn't really fit, but you are right that some of the other guys carrying the team are rather unknown around the boards, people like me just aren't much of a help when it comes to drawing in Free Agents.

There's a thing called showing too much interest in a player, I know that's what happened with Bora the first time he signed with Helsinki as opposed to us. I think Cologne might overwhelm the guys a bit, there's a fine line. I hope Cologne can get some free agents in the future because they are on the cusp with a superstar, depth players and just need another big name to help Taylor.

I feel that no one wants to join you guys because I'm still light green, which would mean I am a VHLM GM, which I am not. The VHL is a chaotic place where no one knows what the f is going on and green means read, cats are dogs, and who knows what a Meute is!

b2fc50a6d29702fc7abe1ede7f1c6bc5cd2c67d9

But actually... this is kinda my opinion, in a fucked up way. There are, what, three FA's in a given season that actually mean something legitimate? That means that each year, 70% of VHL teams are sitting doing nothing in FA, more than that if two players decide to team up as Grigs/Rift did. Yeah, the Express haven't signed any free agents. But neither have the Bears, or the Wranglers, or the Iron Eagles for a few years, or the Legion until they nabbed Salmon this year. It happens when everybody's going after a limited pool.

But actually... this is kinda my opinion, in a fucked up way. There are, what, three FA's in a given season that actually mean something legitimate? That means that each year, 70% of VHL teams are sitting doing nothing in FA, more than that if two players decide to team up as Grigs/Rift did. Yeah, the Express haven't signed any free agents. But neither have the Bears, or the Wranglers, or the Iron Eagles for a few years, or the Legion until they nabbed Salmon this year. It happens when everybody's going after a limited pool.

Uhhh yeah but 6 season soy not signing one. That's a little different

Uhhh yeah but 6 season soy not signing one. That's a little different

You're talking to a player who has been on the Bears most of that time, who were also going after all of the same players and have also went 0-for-everybody. And the Wranglers have not only not signed anybody, but they've lost players (Grigs, Rift, Salmon) and had to mortgage the future from here to oblivion to trade for pieces to win.

You're talking to a player who has been on the Bears most of that time, who were also going after all of the same players and have also went 0-for-everybody. And the Wranglers have not only not signed anybody, but they've lost players (Grigs, Rift, Salmon) and had to mortgage the future from here to oblivion to trade for pieces to win.

Keep in mind Salmon netted them a return so they didn't really lost anything.

Also they have signed free agents in the last 5 seasons

Not me bra - Helsinki lost the best player in FA with me on the roster..

If you are referring to Boom, he was on Helsinki and decided to go else where. But that is an isolated case because Boom loves tons of members around this league and wants to try and play with a bunch of them. 

If you are referring to Boom, he was on Helsinki and decided to go else where. But that is an isolated case because Boom loves tons of members around this league and wants to try and play with a bunch of them. 

It still counts, we lost a player entering their prime with 600 TPE. Cologne technically didn't lose anyone.

It still counts, we lost a player entering their prime with 600 TPE. Cologne technically didn't lose anyone.

Once again, but we haven't gained anyone over 6 seasons haha. Thats what the topic is about