Claimed:S53 Mid-Season Awards

scoop

S53 Mid-Season Awards

We are almost exactly half way through the VHL season, so why not take some time to honor the players who played well so far. I won't be going over any of the statistical leaders; if you're curious about those, you know where to find them. I'll be making my decision on the subjective awards (most of them, anyway) about who is most deserving of each one after half of the season (not who I think will win them at the end of the season). Let's get started!

Most Valuable Player

C Joel Jarvi - Cologne Express @gregreg

This was a tough decision to make, but ultimately I think there was a little bit of "don't want to say my own player" bias. Joel Jarvi does have Cologne is second place over in Europe, though, and it's not just because of an easy schedule thus far. They've beaten Helsinki four times, and while they haven't done quite as well against other top teams, their position in the standings right now has me not discrediting Jarvi too much for the team that he is on. He is currently tied for the league lead in goals, second in assists, and leading in points by a margin of seven over Diana Maxwell. He has done a fine job defensively, having blocked 42 shots and leading his team with a +30 rating. He does also have the second best face-off percentage in the league, something that does not go unnoticed by me.

Honorable mention: Diana Maxwell (NYA)

Top Defensemen

D Black Velvet - Helsinki Titans @Higgins

This award is always so hard to choose, but it's a good thing my choice really doesn't matter right now. I went with Black Velvet, who is probably overall the most skilled defensemen in the VHL; he brings so much to the table. He has 48 points, 131 hits, and 48 shots blocked. His points and hits are both top three, but of course he's not going to block as many shots as players on worse teams with fewer players.

Honorable mentions: Jeff Hamilton (SEA), Bobby Digital (NYA)

2Q==

This is Black Velvet. Don't question it.

Top Goalie

G Apollo Skye - Quebec City Meute @Velevra

Cool, an award for which I can just look at a couple numbers and say "this guy." Apollo Skye has the best save percentage at 0.930, and although he is bested by a few goalies in GAA, his 2.17 mark is certainly respectable when you consider the team he is on. He does have a losing record, with just 15 wins on 36 starts, but he has the second most shutouts with eight. This includes one against each New York and Stockholm, the top two teams in the standings.

Top Rookie

C Alexander Thrower - Cologne Express @gregreg

Although I don't necessarily think the gap between the top rookie and the rest is as large as last season, I think Thrower is the easy choice here. Although he is almost exclusively an offensive forward, the same can be said for most of the top rookies, and Thrower has far more points than the others. He has 26 goals and 53 points, which is 11 goals and 19 points higher than the second place rookies.

Best Two-Way Forward

RW AK47 - Cologne Express @701

I personally am not one to say an inactive shouldn't be considered for an award, so I wouldn't have a problem with AK47 winning this award. So far, he has been the best power forward, which is really what this award is. He has the second most hits, just four behind Asher Donovan, but he leads Donovan five goals and 20 points. AK47 is another Express player benefiting from whatever mystical source is allowing them to score as much as they are, but I'm not going to take much away from his accomplishments because of that.

for Maxwell

Edited by Streetlite

1 hour ago, The Bread Man said:

I don't think so about Jarvi. If Sleeman wasn't deserving of it last year, I don't see why Jarvi is this year. 

Sleeman wasn't even in the top 5 in scoring :P

Jarvi won't win but right now as it stands he has a strong case. By the end of the season he won't but for right now he would be the right choice 

6 minutes ago, gregreg said:

Sleeman wasn't even in the top 5 in scoring :P

Jarvi won't win but right now as it stands he has a strong case. By the end of the season he won't but for right now he would be the right choice 

Sleeman was 6th in scoring, 3rd in hits, and had over 100 shot blocks.

Jarvi just scores

Sleeman was such a complete player, you arent. not saying you arent a great player, but Sleeman was definitely better.

Also, if Sleeman stayed in Cologne he wouldve had 134 points, 3rd in the league.

5 minutes ago, The Bread Man said:

Jarvi just scores

Sleeman was such a complete player, you arent. not saying you arent a great player, but Sleeman was definitely better.

Also, if Sleeman stayed in Cologne he wouldve had 134 points, 3rd in the league.

Who needs to hit when you can score :P

53 minutes ago, The Bread Man said:

Jarvi just scores

Sleeman's blocked shots mean nothing. Quit using them as an argument for anything.

Jarvi also has the second highest face-off percentage. He doesn't "just score."

There are no better candidates out there than Maxwell and Jarvi, and I didn't feel like writing about myself okay. :P

Edited by Streetlite

4 minutes ago, Streetlite said:

Sleeman's blocked shots mean nothing. Quit using them as an argument for anything.

Jarvi also has the second highest face-off percentage. He doesn't "just score."

There are no better candidates out there than Maxwell and Jarvi, and I didn't feel like writing about myself okay. :P

Congrats to him. He does 2 things, Sleeman did 3. Still stand by my argument.

Just now, The Bread Man said:

Congrats to him. He does 2 things, Sleeman did 3. Still stand by my argument.

Like I said, Sleeman's blocked shots don't mean a thing. But also, I think Maxwell probably is the mid-season MVP, but like I said, I opted to choose someone other than myself for that. The only viable selection was Jarvi, because purely based on statistics, he and Apollo Skye (who is on an even worse team than Jarvi) are the only ones comparable.

Also, the fact he has more shot blocks than Jarvi DOES mean something. Two teams in he same exact place. two players in the same exact place. One performs better than another in said category. That means something. You don't wanna compare it to other people in he league because STHS sucks dick, then fine. But this makes sense

Just now, Streetlite said:

Like I said, Sleeman's blocked shots don't mean a thing. But also, I think Maxwell probably is the mid-season MVP, but like I said, I opted to choose someone other than myself for that. The only viable selection was Jarvi, because purely based on statistics, he and Apollo Skye (who is on an even worse team than Jarvi) are the only ones comparable.

Well then fuck stats. Fuck award voting. Fuck everything about he VHL tbh. Stats don't matter, why even bother voting tbh

4 minutes ago, The Bread Man said:

Also, the fact he has more shot blocks than Jarvi DOES mean something. Two teams in he same exact place. two players in the same exact place. One performs better than another in said category. That means something. You don't wanna compare it to other people in he league because STHS sucks dick, then fine. But this makes sense

Okay, I shouldn't say they mean nothing, but it's not the exact same. Cologne last season had fewer players than they do this season, which makes a big difference. Keep in mind that Syndergaard wasn't on the team last year when Sleeman was there.

Just look at Syndergaard as an example, though. He had 33 shots blocked in 11 games last season. Same player. This season, he has 59 in 35 games. That is literally the same exact player blocking shots at a significantly lower rate.

7 minutes ago, The Bread Man said:

Well then fuck stats. Fuck award voting. Fuck everything about he VHL tbh. Stats don't matter, why even bother voting tbh

Stats do matter, but you have consistently placed way too much weight on shots blocked (not just with Sleeman, but players like Lahey and Barnyashev as well) when it's clear that their high totals are a product of being on undermanned rosters.

3 minutes ago, Streetlite said:

Stats do matter, but you have consistently placed way too much weight on shots blocked (not just with Sleeman, but players like Lahey and Barnyashev as well) when it's clear that their high totals are a product of being on undermanned rosters.

I don't really care at this point. I don't even want to be here. Fuck this damn site. Fuck sim leagues in general. Nothing makes actaul real world sense and I don't even have anything I fucking care about to write about, I only write about VHFL and i don't even want to write about that anymore.

Edited by The Bread Man

@The Bread Man What in the hell? Like I understand getting passionate about certain things on this site, but the way you are championing shot blocks like they are your grenade to die on? 

I don't get your constant frustrations bud, but I will say that you shouldn't worry about it. It's just the VHL. Reading this thread I don't understand how it went from a friendly debate about stats to suddenly fuck this shit it's all done. 

Also no love for Rhett Degrath on here? It's easy to say .917 save percentage as only okay not great. But the Vikings have the second best goals against in the league, and they have scored far less goals than Seattle or New York. Great goals against average, 10 shutouts, 1st star 7 times. Degrath is in the mix for me for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Devise said:

@The Bread Man What in the hell? Like I understand getting passionate about certain things on this site, but the way you are championing shot blocks like they are your grenade to die on? 

I don't get your constant frustrations bud, but I will say that you shouldn't worry about it. It's just the VHL. Reading this thread I don't understand how it went from a friendly debate about stats to suddenly fuck this shit it's all done. 

Also no love for Rhett Degrath on here? It's easy to say .917 save percentage as only okay not great. But the Vikings have the second best goals against in the league, and they have scored far less goals than Seattle or New York. Great goals against average, 10 shutouts, 1st star 7 times. Degrath is in the mix for me for sure. 

its stupid. SB doesnt mean anything. the sim is dumb. so many real life things hold no value here and it detracts from the fun

also fuck off lol. "you shouldnt worry about it". OH HOLY SHIT YOU CURED MY MANY MENTAL ILLNESSES BY SAYING THAT I WISH SOMEONE SAID THAT BEFORE. Its not that fucking easy so dont insult me by pretending it is

Edited by The Bread Man

Just now, The Bread Man said:

its stupid. SB doesnt mean anything. the sim is dumb. so many real life things hold no value here and it detracts from the fun

also fuck off lol. "dont worry about it". OH HOLY SHIT YOU CURED MY MANY MENTAL ILLNESSES BY SAYING THAT I WISH SOMEONE SAID THAT BEFORE. Its not that fucking easy so dont insult me by pretending it is

I didn't. I never presumed it was easy or that by me saying don't worry about it that you would suddenly not worry about it. It's meant to be a reminder that your the one getting heated about shots blocked and making a big deal out of this, not anyone else. Ergo nobody is insulting you, saying your opinion doesn't mean anything or devaluing your presence here. It's all on you sir nobody is here trying to trigger you, this is literally nothing more than a debate on mid-season MVP and some stats. There is no reason to get upset. I hate to say try to think through it, but if you logically look at the situation there isn't a reason to let this affect you as much as it has. 

For the record I agree that having to translate what VHL stats are relevant and how they work versus how the real hockey works is often frustrating. I mean we don't even have giveaways/takeaways. But that is what we are given, can't do much about it in the present. 

18 minutes ago, Devise said:

I've grown too used to the high-0.92x and 0.93x save percentages that we saw from the likes of Wingate and the Cleganes to be impressed by DeGrath's 0.917 in the slightest.

2 hours ago, Molholt said:

Let's just all agree that hockey is a dumb sport. :ph34r: 

When WWE 2K puts 10-man tags in the game, we should just switch to that as the sim engine.

It's also somewhat ironic that the PPV that follows the game's release is also the one you can't even simulate because they don't even have the match type in the game. 

• Commissioner

Skye better watch himself in the second half of the year, I'm coming for him. Solid lead in GAA (against him anyway), catching up steadily in Save% and SO, and almost double the amount of wins.

44 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Skye better watch himself in the second half of the year, I'm coming for him. Solid lead in GAA (against him anyway), catching up steadily in Save% and SO, and almost double the amount of wins.

Ha it's almost like he's on Québec and you Seattle. :P