Claimed: Mock Draft

Smarch

:vhl:Mock Draft :vhl:

Last night the VHL was treated to the annual VHL Draft Lottery, abet without controversy.  After the dust settled the Toronto Legion walked away with the top spot in the draft and will be on the clock once the season ends in the upcoming weeks. Although it really might be too early to talk about the draft at this point, I thought I’d try my hand at predicting an early mock draft for the lottery teams as we near the Continental Cup finals. 

:tor:1. Toronto Legion::tor:

1043v9c.png

The Legion has needs in all areas as they enter the Season Fifty-Four VHL Entry Draft with the top spot. The Toronto will look to build around their Fourth Overall selection from the Season Fifty-Three VHL Entry Draft, defenseman Roman Sokolov. Outside of that, the Legion don’t have anyone penciled in as a long-term solution to help them out of their most recent rebuild after the recent Continental Cup three-peat. Luckily for the Legion the draft is filled with tons of talent that could help them quickly turn the ship around, and one of those players is centerman Fook Yu. Yu has been impressive this season with the VHLMs Ottawa Lynx, putting up 107 points in his seventy-two regular season games. Yu also has a very experienced VHL agent that has an extensive history of winning with his players in the VHL. Only time will tell if Toronto will make the leap into the Asian hockey market?

:dav:2. Davos Dynamo: :dav:

The Dynamo are the second tea to step up to the podium in the Season Fifty-Four VHL Entry Draft. The Dynamo are looking for bigger and better things under their new management team, as they look to win a championship in the VHL after their last win in Season Thirty-Eight. The Dynamo are another team that has holes to fill in most areas with the exception in net. Davos had Season Fifty-Three draftee mist4ke in net for his rookie season this past year, and although he didn’t light the world on fire with his play he gained valuable experience in the league. The Dynamo has a plethora of talent to pick from in the second spot, but we believe they will look to shore up their defensive core with the Second Overall pick. With quality defenseman hard to come by in the VHL, Davos will look to Aleksei Federov to stabilize their blue-line next season and for seasons’ to come. With a relationship already built between management and the player from their time together in Brampton, this only seems like the logical choice.

:hel:3. Helsinki Titans::hel:

2q2hmw2.jpg

The Titans are the closest of the four lottery teams to being ready to compete. The Titans made the playoffs in Season Fifty-Three and have already put an impressive core into place. While the Titans have a decent core of young forwards, the team is starting to age on the blue-line. This is what makes us believe that the Titans will look to shore that position up with their first of two picks in the First Round by picking up defenseman Hudson Abbott. Abbott has been really shooting up the draft rankings after making his intentions known to enter the draft shortly after Season Fifty-Three had started. Abbott is another draft prospect spending the season in the Canadian capital of Ottawa, where he has made his case for VHLM defenseman of the year with his twenty-eight goals and seventy assists. Abbott will be a great pick up for Helsinki at the number three spot.

:rig:4. Riga Reign: :rig:

The final draft pick we’ll take a look at today we’ll be the Fourth Overall pick held by the Riga Reign. After an incorrect media release that stated the Reign had been awarded First Overall, the league quickly made sure the error was reversed. The Reign are currently set down the middle with Season Fifty-Three draftee centerman Fredinamijs Krigas and Marc-Alexandre LeBlanc playing in the VHLM and ready to make the jump to the blue and orange next season. With the team set with a good forward core and the draft chalked full of elite goaltenders, we believe the Reign will be the first franchise to take a goaltender off the board. That’s the easy part of the prediction, next is the slew of goalies that General Manager Benjamin Zeptenbers can choose from. We believe he will select Torstein Ironside who is playing this season with the Yukon Rush, after spending the majority of the season with the Saskatoon Wild. Ironside will bring a team first attitude and an amazing work ethic with him to Riga, which will do wonders for himself and the franchise in the not too distant future.

*For Snatch*

@Higgins

5 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

Pretty different TOP 4.

But I don't see why DAAD is gonna let his goalie to other team. Another mystery is the 4th pick imo, there are lots of options.

Easy. Knowing he can get his goalie in free agency if it fails.

6 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Easy. Knowing he can get his goalie in free agency if it fails.

Unless I'm understanding this wrong, the rule is written 

Free Agency - Under no circumstances can a user choose to sign with one of their players to the team of their other player.

So if he choses not to draft himself his other player is the main and this one can not be signed there in UFA. Am I missing something here?

5 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Free Agency - Under no circumstances can a user choose to sign with one of their players to the team of their other player.

So if he choses not to draft himself his other player is the main and this one can not be signed there in UFA. Am I missing something here?

One player is about to retire. His second hits the draft. After his first is gone, he  may not be heading to Toronto.

Edited by Da Trifecta

10 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Well thats news to me, I had no knowledge that rule even existed it. However, he can choose to select someone else and then trade for his goalie knowing the trade value he receives is higher than what he trades off.

9 minutes ago, Da Trifecta said:

One player is about to retire. His second hits the draft. After his first is gone, he  may not be heading to Toronto.

If he lets himself be drafted elsewhere there is a rule one player has to be with the team, he'd be committed elsewhere for 3 seasons meaning his recreate would go to Toronto and his Goalie still not be allowed to sign there

3 minutes ago, Bushito said:

If he lets himself be drafted elsewhere there is a rule one player has to be with the team, he'd be committed elsewhere for 3 seasons meaning his recreate would go to Toronto and his Goalie still not be allowed to sign there

Unless he doesn't make a recreate - he isn't forced to have two players.

So what does the VHL do if he decides to make Ironside his GM player after he's drafted... 

fwiw I think he'll definitely draft himself and then make a 2nd player as his GM player for free - getting both of his players that he can count on.

6 minutes ago, Bushito said:

He could also let his goalie go. Then when he creates his second player, just let it sit til his first can go to FA and plan ahead so he can retire the player sitting around so his player after that can be left as his second while his goalie can head to Toronto. Just thinking outside the box here.

1 minute ago, Molholt said:

So what does the VHL do if he decides to make Ironside his GM player after he's drafted... 

fwiw I think he'll definitely draft himself and then make a 2nd player as his GM player for free - getting both of his players that he can count on.

If he isn't recreating and is drafted elsewhere he would be forced to trade for his drafted player which would put him in a bad spot. But I agree with you that he will draft his player and use his recreate to go to Toronto.

23 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Well thats news to me, I had no knowledge that rule even existed it. However, he can choose to select someone else and then trade for his goalie knowing the trade value he receives is higher than what he trades off.

33x81l2.jpg

Ok you guys are taking this too far.

Either he creates a new player and gets GM designation. He drafts his goalie and gets GM designation. Or he does both and the new player gets GM designation. I know which option I would take :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Ok you guys are taking this too far.

Either he creates a new player and gets GM designation. He drafts his goalie and gets GM designation. Or he does both and the new player gets GM designation. I know which option I would take :ph34r:

the one where you name your 2nd tpe player with less tpe the gm player but trade him for your higher tpe player, a 700 tpe player and a 3rd overall pick and name said higher tpe player the new gm player?

Edited by TheLastOlympian07

22 minutes ago, Molholt said:

This was addressed by @Will in the Lottery draft thread. If he doesn't draft his own goalie he is forced to make a new GM player or he's no longer GM. That was the agreement so that no rules would be circumvented. 

6 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

the one where you name your 2nd tpe player with less tpe the gm player but trade him for your higher tpe player, a 700 tpe player and a 3rd overall pick and name said higher tpe player the new gm player?

i gave up a 2nd to get Jacob for some reason too

4 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Technically Higgins coulddn't do that anymore. While we all recognize he circumvents the rules wherever possible (of course Higgins is such a cheater :P) technically he did nothing wrong at the time. But in Higgins case from this point on, there is no switching GM designations. Although I have to wonder...

@Higgins What if you were to trade for Jacob while Velvet is still a player. Then retire Velvet and decide you don't want two players anymore. Would you then be allowed to switch designation to Jacob since you acquired Jacob while you still had your other GM player? 

Just now, Devise said:

Technically Higgins coulddn't do that anymore. While we all recognize he circumvents the rules wherever possible (of course Higgins is such a cheater :P) technically he did nothing wrong at the time. But in Higgins case from this point on, there is no switching GM designations. Although I have to wonder...

@Higgins What if you were to trade for Jacob while Velvet is still a player. Then retire Velvet and decide you don't want two players anymore. Would you then be allowed to switch designation to Jacob since you acquired Jacob while you still had your other GM player? 

i know he couldnt do that as i was aware of the rule change but it still makes me laugh to say all of that out loud because of how terrible a deal it was for calgary

• Senior Admin
57 minutes ago, Devise said:

On 2/8/2017 at 2:40 AM, Will said:

The ONLY way a 2nd player (a non-GM player) can become a GM player is if he is on the team and the previous GM player retires. However, you would only elect to do this if you didn't want to have 2 players as you would be eligible to create a new player via the GM Recreation Rule without affecting your 2nd player, even if you owned him. 

• Senior Admin
50 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

I don't get it? Krīgars shouldn't be the GM player then?

That's only talking about switching your 'GM player' between your two players, so it only applies if you already have a GM player.

All it's saying is 'the only way Petenis could ever become the GM player of Riga is if Riga owned Petenis and Krigars retired'