2017-2018 NHL Discussion

boubabi

Training camp opened, what are your line up prediction for your team ? Mine's quite easy 

Pacioretty - Drouin - Lehkonen
Galchenyuk - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky
Hudon - Mitchell - Shaw

Martissen/McCarron

Schlemko - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Davidson - Benn

Jerabek/Streit

Price
Montoya

Swap McCarron and Mitchell depending on the opponent (more physical or more fast). Having Drouin at center really really helps us. I like what I saw from lehkonen last season, even more when he played right wing (offwing), so there's that. If hemsky blows, well, too bad.

We could use another D instead of Davidsson, but it's not critical.

The price is right in net

@boubabi isn't it a little early to pencil in Drouin as 1C when he's never played the position in the NHL before?

The Flyers opening roster is going to be up in the air more than usual this year. There are about 15 forwards who could make the team and 7 likely defensemen.

As of now, what I would like to see is:

Lindblom - Giroux - Konecny

Weal - Couturier - Voracek

Filpulla - Patrick - Simmonds

Raffl/Weise - Lehtera - Weise/Raffl

Laughton

Read

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

MacDonald/Hagg - Hagg/MacDonald

Manning

Elliot

Neuvirth

Honestly I think the forwards look pretty good outside of LW. Defense is young and unproven but I think an improvement over last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sanheim or Myers get some playing time this year with the big club. Goalie is what is it. Neither one of them have to be spectacular, just can't shit the bed. Unfortunately...

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson

Granlund-Burmistrov-Virtanen

Dorsett/Rodin/Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Del Zotto-Gudbranson

Hutton-Stecher

Pedan/Subban

Markstrom

Nilsson

Man, there's a lot of bodies on the Canucks this season, with not enough roster spots. It's going to be nice to have guys fill in for injuries and not have to call-up fringers from the AHL.

Brock Boeser isn't even a lock, neither is Goldobin, Rodin, Virtanen, Gaunce, Megna, Chaput, Boucher, or Molino. Megna and Chaput are basically depth bottom sixers, unless you asked our last coach Willie Desjardins.

Obviously, any of Vanek, Eriksson, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, or even Gagner can fit with the Sedins. Maybe even Boeser like some of his 9 NHL games last season. Sutter will inevitably get injured, so there's an extra spot as well. Watching the youth develop and compete on the Canucks with this new coach is going to be exciting.

Our pre-season game tonight looked pretty good as well. LA had their whole team besides Doughty and Carter, and the Canucks were missing Sedins, Sutter, Tanev, Edler, Eriksson, and a bunch of others and still came out with a W.

5 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Hall -who cares -who cares

who cares- Henrique - who cares

who cares - NICOOOO - who cares

who cares- who cares - who cares

Severson- Greene

who cares-who cares

who cares - who cares

Cory

Kinky

I love the Devils

Don't forget Marcus Johansson!

Just now, DollarAndADream said:

Don't forget Marcus Johansson!

I already did!

Hall -who cares -Johanasburg

who cares- Henrique - who cares

who cares - NICOOOO - who cares

who cares- who cares - who cares

Severson- Greene

who cares-who cares

who cares - who cares

Cory

Kinky

There we go!

So, interesting. Giroux may be playing the wing this year. I would imagine he'd still take faceoffs, since he's the best on the team, but would free him up offensively a little bit.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

Weal -Patrick - Simmonds

Lindblom - Filpulla - Konecny

Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

19 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Giroux playing offwing ?

It's been where he's practicing. Our RW depth is much better than LW.

I should add that he's also been at C for some of the lines at practice. Seems to be an every other day thing, but from the way both he and Hakstol have talked about it, it's something they're considering. I don't think I necessarily agree with it at this point though.

5 hours ago, Devise said:

@Kendrick Devils look honestly good this season. Mojo and Hischier showing good chemistry. 

Woah woah it's pre-season. We still can't defend worth shit. Cory will be hung out to dry and when he is good, he'll probably come out of the net and over handle the puck. The offence does look better though thats for sure. Hopefully that means Zajac can finally just be put in the 3rd line role instead of key offensive situations.

At this point, Brock Boeser is basically a shoe-in to crack the Canucks opening roster. He outscored everyone for us in the pre-season, and for a team hard-pressed to find goals, they need a sniper like him. Even people that aren't fans of the Canucks in discussion threads on Reddit are not looking forward to facing him and his wristshot. That's kind of nice to see out of a Canucks prospect these days. :lol:

It's looking more and more likely that the Flyers will be carrying 5 rookies on the opening roster in Morin, Sanheim, Haag, Lindblom, and Patrick, and Leier has an outside shot at a 4th line role. Combined with Provorov, Laughton (I don't think he counts as a rookie anymore though) and Konecny, I'm assuming they have to be one of the youngest teams in the league.

6 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

At this point, Brock Boeser is basically a shoe-in to crack the Canucks opening roster. He outscored everyone for us in the pre-season, and for a team hard-pressed to find goals, they need a sniper like him. Even people that aren't fans of the Canucks in discussion threads on Reddit are not looking forward to facing him and his wristshot. That's kind of nice to see out of a Canucks prospect these days. :lol:

Boeser has been something else hey? i generally perk up thinking hes going to snipe one anytime i see him get the puck

5 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Boeser has been something else hey? i generally perk up thinking hes going to snipe one anytime i see him get the puck

Yeah, it's a nice feeling as a Canucks fan. Haven't really seen that since the Naslund days, or at least in the Sedins' prime.

12 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Hell yeah, I'd love to see Boeser and Virtanen in the opening night lineup. Although this could mean a guy like Dorsett with his cap sitting in the press box I am loving how many guys have stepped up and been pleasant surprises this TC for the Nucks. It seems there is a lot of talk about Boeser and the Calder and just the fact that analysts have a Canuck in the race for any trophy especially one that indicated the team has been doing a good job in the draft and through scouting is a huge positive from a Canucks fan. 

4 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Hell yeah, I'd love to see Boeser and Virtanen in the opening night lineup. Although this could mean a guy like Dorsett with his cap sitting in the press box I am loving how many guys have stepped up and been pleasant surprises this TC for the Nucks. It seems there is a lot of talk about Boeser and the Calder and just the fact that analysts have a Canuck in the race for any trophy especially one that indicated the team has been doing a good job in the draft and through scouting is a huge positive from a Canucks fan. 

Yeah, it'll be awesome to finally have a Calder winner again. So many seasons have gone by and Canucks fans label players as Calder potential players, but nobody else in the NHL sees it that way. :lol: It's nice to have recognition for a player like Brock Boeser, especially Boeser who Jim Benning snagged at 23rd overall, and he was surprised Boeser was available there.

Edmonton is going to be sad that they selected that bust McDavid over him. :P

and Dorsett....that contract. He played well before he got injured, but it seems like ever since the injury he hasn't played the way his contract is paying him for. He barely hits or agitates anymore.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, it'll be awesome to finally have a Calder winner again. So many seasons have gone by and Canucks fans label players as Calder potential players, but nobody else in the NHL sees it that way. :lol: It's nice to have recognition for a player like Brock Boeser, especially Boeser who Jim Benning snagged at 23rd overall, and he was surprised Boeser was available there.

Edmonton is going to be sad that they selected that bust McDavid over him. :P

and Dorsett....that contract. He played well before he got injured, but it seems like ever since the injury he hasn't played the way his contract is paying him for. He barely hits or agitates anymore.

Yeah I am actually kind of frustrated with the whole Dorsett thing, Dorsett has had neck problems his whole career (from what I've heard) and Benning still signed him to that lucrative deal with term knowing full well he was only going to peak as a 3rd/4th liner. But anyways the signing have looked pretty good so far, Virtanen, Chatfield, Lind have all be bright spots and shows Benning has made some good moves/picks.

With all the depth they have this season and the improved team from last season I could actually see them contending for a playoff spot. Although I am not sure whether or not that will be good for the long term it would be exciting to see some playoff hockey in Vancouver.

1 hour ago, Kesler said:

Yeah I am actually kind of frustrated with the whole Dorsett thing, Dorsett has had neck problems his whole career (from what I've heard) and Benning still signed him to that lucrative deal with term knowing full well he was only going to peak as a 3rd/4th liner. But anyways the signing have looked pretty good so far, Virtanen, Chatfield, Lind have all be bright spots and shows Benning has made some good moves/picks.

With all the depth they have this season and the improved team from last season I could actually see them contending for a playoff spot. Although I am not sure whether or not that will be good for the long term it would be exciting to see some playoff hockey in Vancouver.

from watching Lind in my two years in Kelowna have been awesome, hes been great everytime i see him get the puck. I was pretty excited when the nucks snagged him at 32

Derek Dorsett is nothing more than a press box wanderer anyways. From what I've seen he challenges guys to fights when it's the most inappropriate time to do so (like if his team is ahead by 2). He takes too many dumb penalties and is pretty useless when it comes to hitting. Upshall is an upgrade over him I think in a limited role

After what we saw from the habs last night, I think we can expect something like this for the opening lineup

Pacioretty – Drouin – Gallagher
Galchenyuk – Danault – Shaw
Hudon – Plekanec – Lehkonen
Byron – Mitchell – Hemsky

De La Rose

Mete – Weber
Alzner – Petry
Streit – Benn

Schlemko – Davidson

Price – Montoya

Dunno if Julien likes that play style, but I could see us playing with 7 D and 1 less forward (likely hemsky) so we can have a specific D in different situations