2017-2018 NHL Discussion

boubabi

1 minute ago, Kesler said:

IMO Turris is one of the more underrated players in the league, he literally did it all for Ottawa, PK, PP, good face-off guy and could put up points. Duchene is not going to do some of the things Turris has done so well for Ottawa recently but will provide some more offense for them  (though Duchene and Turris have had similar offensive outputs in recent seasons.) But Duchene is 2 years younger and fits a little bit better into there age core, I think its a win-win-win for all teams. Nashville now had a deadly 1-2 punch down the middle that could be one of the best in the league. 

I think Duchene thrives offensively now. Not because hes playing with better talent, id argue talent wise forward cores top 6 are similar. But because hes out of a toxic enviroment. I think his confidence was shot last few seasons. Now hes on a team with a good high and feeling about itself. Either way great trade for everyone

5 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Crazy to me how a team like Nashville, with guys like Rinne, Subban, Johansen, Forsberg, Josi, etc etc etc still have the cap space to acquire a guy like Turris and re-sign him for $6M.

Josi @ 4m is almost as bad as a robbery as Keith at 4.5m, also Forsberg only making 6m and Ellis at 2.5m are two more mind bottling deals. Nashvilles GM is a god at contract negotiations I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

I think Duchene thrives offensively now. Not because hes playing with better talent, id argue talent wise forward cores top 6 are similar. But because hes out of a toxic enviroment. I think his confidence was shot last few seasons. Now hes on a team with a good high and feeling about itself. Either way great trade for everyone

Toxic environment or not, his game through 14 games this season has his pace for a season that we haven't seen from him in awhile. He certainly helped himself playing this well so far. 

2 minutes ago, Kesler said:

Toxic environment or not, his game through 14 games this season has his pace for a season that we haven't seen from him in awhile. He certainly helped himself playing this well so far. 

Oh 100% which is why i think Dorion paid a first, 3rd and a former 1st for him. If Duchene can maintain this Ottawa will be much scarier in the top 6. Than with Turris who is better complete game but, well similar offensive last few seasons Duchenes upside offensivle if he wants to play there is higher than Turris. 

3 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Oh 100% which is why i think Dorion paid a first, 3rd and a former 1st for him. If Duchene can maintain this Ottawa will be much scarier in the top 6. Than with Turris who is better complete game but, well similar offensive last few seasons Duchenes upside offensivle if he wants to play there is higher than Turris. 

Yeah even though when I look at Ottawa's offense I am not "scared" as they dont have one big gun, they have a bunch of small ones that still do damage. Also not to mention that you have arguably the best defenseman in the world out there for almost half the game. 

1 minute ago, Kesler said:

Yeah even though when I look at Ottawa's offense I am not "scared" as they dont have one big gun, they have a bunch of small ones that still do damage. Also not to mention that you have arguably the best defenseman in the world out there for almost half the game. 

Hal Gill is on Ottawa now?

4 minutes ago, Tyler said:

they're not particularly good. Could get a wildcard spot I guess.

Sens remind me alot of Nashville. No game breaker just great system. I dont see them being a lottery pick(top 5 worst in NHL) chances of 10-14 being 1-5 is realllllly low. 

31 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Sens remind me alot of Nashville. No game breaker just great system. I dont see them being a lottery pick(top 5 worst in NHL) chances of 10-14 being 1-5 is realllllly low. 

To be fair, missing the playoffs is a lotto pick now. I don’t think they miss the playoffs, they have a solid system and seem to outperform their analytics. Plus EK drags that carcass of a team around with him if he has to.

They totally overpaid for Duchene though, at this point Turris is just as valuable on the ice, so they gave up a LOT for an extra season of control and the name.

The Avs made our real well though. 7 pieces for a guy they had to get rid of, including 3 top 90 picks as well as a couple solid prospects. I didn’t think Salic was going to find a deal this good.

Edited by Quik

4 minutes ago, Quik said:

To be fair, missing the playoffs is a lotto pick now. I don’t think they miss the playoffs, they have a solid system and seem to outperform their analytics. Plus EK drags that carcass of a team around with him if he has to.

They totally overpaid for Duchene though, at this point Turris is just as valuable on the ice, so they gave up a LOT for an extra season of control and the name.

The Avs made our real well though. 7 pieces for a guy they had to get rid of, including 3 top 90 picks as well as a couple solid prospects. I didn’t think Salic was going to find a deal this good.

May have a shot but not a high one so i still dont count it as a real lottery pick lol maybe 1 every 50 seasons wed see a 10-14 win it 

4 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

May have a shot but not a high one so i still dont count it as a real lottery pick lol maybe 1 every 50 seasons wed see a 10-14 win it 

Meh, Philly went from like 11 or 12 to 2 last year, so not really going to discount it. Might be a low chance, but with essentially 3 lottos there’s still a chance. Plus, that’s literally what a lotto ticket is lol

Edited by Quik

8 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

every team that misses is a lottery team now

• Head Moderator

Imo feel like COL and Nash got the best deals and OTT got hosed. They basically needed to use a 1st and Shane Bowers to go from Turris to Duchene because they couldn't convince Turris to sign long term or something?

13 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

Nashville also has one of the best Defensive cores in the NHL, Ottawa has one great one and a bunch of average ones.

20 minutes ago, tfong said:

Imo feel like COL and Nash got the best deals and OTT got hosed. They basically needed to use a 1st and Shane Bowers to go from Turris to Duchene because they couldn't convince Turris to sign long term or something?

In all fairness to Turris, he has been overvaluing himself since his Arizona days as well. Seems the guy thinks he is worth more than he is worth.

4 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

In all fairness to Turris, he has been overvaluing himself since his Arizona days as well. Seems the guy thinks he is worth more than he is worth.

Nah, given the numbers, his extension is pretty fair. Ottawa didn't offer him that same deal, which is confusing because they will need to offer at least that to keep Duchene, who overall has a similar impact to Turris. Nashville made out real well in this deal, Colorado made out like bandits, and Ottawa got kind of hosed. It won't be the end of them, they managed to keep their top 3 prospects, but they still bled value in this deal, and it is really confusing as to why they'd make it.

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

DOrion was rdy to give him what he wanted, but not the team owner, who's famously cheap

According to Turris, the offer never came. Whether it was Melnyk or Dorion who wasn't willing to make the offer doesn't really matter. My point is if they can't afford to offer Turris a 6x6, they're not going to make a bigger offer to keep Duchene, unless they can find a taker (+replacement) for Ryan and/or Phaneuf. They may already have replacements for them, but finding someone to take on the full salary of those 2 without sending some back won't be easy.