Why has it become so easy to zone out?

Victor

4 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

It's truly sad that nobody wants to be a grader. It's an easy way to make 2 TPE per week, but you and I are the only ones doing it.

I'm just lousy at it as I have no prior use of Photo/Gimp so I basically wing it when I review.

Maybe have  a rating scale of 1-5 and have categories to rate ie. Originality, Effort, Skill Level,Technique etc. and have each category rated 1-5.

Open this up for 2 TPE a week reviewing ten gfx and whomever has the highest rated gfx per week wins 1-2 TPE uncapped. Then maybe more members will grade.

3 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

I'm just lousy at it as I have no prior use of Photo/Gimp so I basically wing it when I review.

Maybe have  a rating scale of 1-5 and have categories to rate ie. Originality, Effort, Skill Level,Technique etc. and have each category rated 1-5.

Open this up for 2 TPE a week reviewing ten gfx and whomever has the highest rated gfx per week wins 1-2 TPE uncapped. Then maybe more members will grade.

We used to actually have a grading rubric with that sort of thing. We used to check for grammar on media spots too. It'd be like 2/2 for this, 2/2 for that, and 2/2 for something else, and there'd be many times where somebody didn't get 6 TPE. You also weren't allowed to claim something until it was graded.

But we just didn't have enough graders, and people were waiting a long time to claim stuff, so we had to switch to the review system. I don't mind it at all, though. It's relaxed. We just need a team of people willing to do it.

On 5/13/2018 at 7:54 PM, pennypenny said:

As someone who's new to the league - I feel like writing tasks are very very difficult to perform. I mean, writing in general isn't hard. Just to have to write on the league itself, players, teams, all that. It can feel really drawn out to get over 500+ words alone for a +6.

Alas, I want to try to do well, so I gotta do this every single time :) +4 from welfare ain't enuFF

When I first started here, I basically made a living just doing interview and last 5 game summary articles. :P I'd make up my own questions that somebody might ask, then I'd answer them. Easy 500 words for me, considering the questions and answers are both words that count.

Then I'd do like, let's take a look at Boeser's position in the scoring race, or on his team, etc etc.

Or I'd pick the last 3 games for my team, and talk about what happened according to the game sheet.

Since I knew nothing about the VHL, it was easy to just write about that sort of thing. Got a 900 TPE player out of it, while also getting 2 TPE per week from grading. You can do that as well!

i think whats happened in most leagues as you can see is that people want the easiest way to gain tpe and have a star player rather than actually work for it so less work is being put into it. i understand life and all that jazz but still. if i can get 5 tpe for welfare why would i do 500 word articles every week? it just sucks that everyone has gotten lazy and want the most output for the least amount of input i.e SHL and now GOMHL. idk maybe thats just me.

13 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

We used to actually have a grading rubric with that sort of thing. We used to check for grammar on media spots too. It'd be like 2/2 for this, 2/2 for that, and 2/2 for something else, and there'd be many times where somebody didn't get 6 TPE. You also weren't allowed to claim something until it was graded.

But we just didn't have enough graders, and people were waiting a long time to claim stuff, so we had to switch to the review system. I don't mind it at all, though. It's relaxed. We just need a team of people willing to do it.

I always used to media grade when I wasn't on the mag. It was tedious as fuck, although that might just be because I was more meticulous with grammar errors than most. Still though, it was hard to find a happy medium - if I know that both X and Y are wrong, it's hard to determine which is "more wrong" and which is "less wrong" unless one is something like ending a sentence with a preposition, where it's obviously a relatively advanced issue.

10 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

I always used to media grade when I wasn't on the mag. It was tedious as fuck, although that might just be because I was more meticulous with grammar errors than most. Still though, it was hard to find a happy medium - if I know that both X and Y are wrong, it's hard to determine which is "more wrong" and which is "less wrong" unless one is something like ending a sentence with a preposition, where it's obviously a relatively advanced issue.

People would flip their lids if we graded as harshly as we used to, for both media and gfx. I still remember you were the only one to ever give me less than a 1.5/2 on grammar because I had some minor mistakes ? ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner
On 5/13/2018 at 6:59 PM, Will said:

I never liked that change that let MS’s be posted in advance either.

Way behind on reading this but I agree that change is iffy at best IMO. Was brought up partly as a response to fewer PT's being done but doesn't fix that problem at all as it allows people to post less and get the same amount out of it. Where's the benefit there? If GFX guys make a wallpaper instead of a sig they don't get any extra (it's a bigger canvas after all) and if I record a 1 hour podcast instead of a 20 minute one I can't claim it for 3 weeks. So writing guys are getting a benefit no one else gets while also hurting the league's posting in the process. I think changes need to be made to the league but this one was kinda a "if it ain't broke" kinda fix. There really was nothing wrong with having MS' broken down into multiple parts of they were long. You get the same content and it's posted more frequently.

On 5/16/2018 at 2:03 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

We did used to have a rubric back when it wasn't auto-6. However there's nothing stopping you from still using one if you'd prefer to do your reviews in that manner. I mean the numbers would basically mean nothing but if it's an easier way for you to lay out your ideas than that's totally fine.

I've zoned out this league since S2 my first day. Sure you can call me a liar. But I always have been more focused on fucking around then actually giving a fuck. The question should be "why is it so hard to give a fuck"

On 5/17/2018 at 4:55 PM, Fire Hakstol said:

People would flip their lids if we graded as harshly as we used to, for both media and gfx. I still remember you were the only one to ever give me less than a 1.5/2 on grammar because I had some minor mistakes ? ?

I used to be a quite harsh grader for grammar as well specifically when it came to commas ?

• Admin
On 5/30/2018 at 1:45 AM, Gooningitup said:

I hated when we marked grammer as a non english speaker lol. But it did help me grow abit that people to not notice as much that english is my second language

As I pointed out here, I genuinely think grading was a huge benefit for people and good for activity. I miss 2010.

9 minutes ago, Victor said:

As I pointed out here, I genuinely think grading was a huge benefit for people and good for activity. I miss 2010.

Honestly i probably dont make Sergei as good as he is if grading was still around. It takes me 2hours to write a media piece now(yes i know im not amoung the norm). Part of Vlads downfall was when we graded, was it took me 4-5hours to write a media piece to lose TPE despite going over it(mind you my english was worse than now 4 years later).

If grading was still around it adds about an hour to my time, and i still probably lose TPE as my grammer/punction arent great given its all self taught.

• Head Moderator
15 minutes ago, Victor said:

Totally agree - if people don't read and critique/comment your work, why even write?

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Honestly i probably dont make Sergei as good as he is if grading was still around. It takes me 2hours to write a media piece now(yes i know im not amoung the norm). Part of Vlads downfall was when we graded, was it took me 4-5hours to write a media piece to lose TPE despite going over it(mind you my english was worse than now 4 years later).

If grading was still around it adds about an hour to my time, and i still probably lose TPE as my grammer/punction arent great given its all self taught.

We probably could have adapted the grammar section rather than get rid of the whole concept of grading entirely.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

We probably could have adapted the grammar section rather than get rid of the whole concept of grading entirely.

Even as a second language english speaker though id rather be as consistent as possible, i hated losing TPE for it but its a primary english league. I was in the SHL for abit, watching some of the media by guys like Mczherl was painful because nobody kept him in check 

• Senior Admin

To be fair, when I got rid of grading I intended for people to still get comments and even some constructive criticism - my thinking on it was that nobody wanted to come on to the VHL after school or work, write a media spot and then not get full value because a grader with something to prove like Slobo docked them a point for every missing capitalization and comma. Or more so, as long as the effort was there, I didn't think docking points for anything other than effort was adding any value, especially at a time when we were seeing less and less PT's. 

I still stand by that thinking, but it is a shame the idea of 'Reviewing' rather than grading never really caught on as well as I had hoped and admittedly the 'effort' requirement probably wasn't held high enough. 

On 5/28/2018 at 7:34 AM, Beketov said:

Way behind on reading this but I agree that change is iffy at best IMO. Was brought up partly as a response to fewer PT's being done but doesn't fix that problem at all as it allows people to post less and get the same amount out of it. Where's the benefit there? If GFX guys make a wallpaper instead of a sig they don't get any extra (it's a bigger canvas after all) and if I record a 1 hour podcast instead of a 20 minute one I can't claim it for 3 weeks. So writing guys are getting a benefit no one else gets while also hurting the league's posting in the process. I think changes need to be made to the league but this one was kinda a "if it ain't broke" kinda fix. There really was nothing wrong with having MS' broken down into multiple parts of they were long. You get the same content and it's posted more frequently.

Agree with this