How Do We Improve The VHLM? [1/2]

Banackock

Whether you enjoy the VHLM or not, or think that it should totally be disbanded, you can't stray away from the fact that it is one of the cornerstones to the VHL @boubabi. Without the VHLM in my eyes, things would drastically be different. The VHLM is a league where new players join and they know fuck all about the league. If you're very invested and want to learn early on, you can and you will like a lot of the greta new members we see surfing the boards these days - however, if you don't the VHLM - commissioners, @Tagger, Managers and so many others in the league are huge for the development of these new members. It's where they first score a goal, get a point, win a game, make the playoffs and if they're lucky, get the chance to lift their first cup and taste the sweet success and reward the league has to offer. The league is huge for the entire community - whether you see it that way or not and for the experienced, veteran members - maybe a change of mind and heart is needed. Encourage the new guys, help the new guys and be active. You play a huge role in the VHLM and it's newer members as well. It is a huge lifeline to the league and we need to see his thrive. Now, looking into the dark abyss, what's going on in the VHLM? How can we improve and what can we do to make it easier and better? Well..

1. It's absolutely embarrassing that shit's outdated. Hire someone to get it done. 

It's a tough thing to do and when the higher powers of the league are constantly busy - whether in real life or on here, It can be hard to keep everything under the scope to make sure everything is 100%. HOWEVER, this is no secret that it's been outdated. You take a walk around the league and you'll notice some flaws in the "Create a player section". It could be on example of how to build the player on how the league used to be, or how to earn TPE. Either way, it's wrong and confuses these members early on. It also shows a bad example. I'm also sure, we could walk into the rule book area and catch quite a few mistakes in there too. It's little things like these that deter the reputations and likely could affect retention as well. Let's give these new members the best up bringing possible and guide them with the strongest hands we have.

2. Better organization - even if this means more help!

The roster pages aren't done and the answer I got was "I don't want to do it twice". That's a pussy answer and a really shitty leader for the league. Having the roster pages done, despite the hassle prior to the draft, helps all teams with transactions and movements so you don't get a fucking mess like the draft was. You have new members coming on as managers and they're on the forum looking at their rosters and have all these guys who aren't even on their team anymore (moving up, waiver claims or whatever). It's confusing as fuck. Speaking of the draft, it was also very confusing, messy and took ages. I didn't think the VHL draft could be topped, but hands down and easily, the past VHLM draft likely will go down in history as the worst ever. If it doesn't, I really hope you're not a part of future drafts because it will be bad. 

The league needs better structure, better organization and as stated above, a strong - more efficient hand to guide our new members in the league. If this means more help, awesome. One commissioner, it would be tough on. That's a lot of work. Maybe two it is too!What's wrong with 3 guys helping out? Nothing in my eyes. For better organization, plan a head. Don't wait until the last fucking minute. It turns out like shit, looks like shit and is total, utter shit in the end.

3. You need to pay the commissioners better

They do a lot of fucking work. From free agency, waivers, running the drafts - scheduling them and updating everything. Then you have to create EVERY SINGLE player page and lately, that's a fucking lot. Then you got the achievement tracker, talking to GM's and making sure they're doing their jobs. If they're not, finding new, better replacements. Helping the new members, answering questions and at the VERY LEAST - you're helping with retention because that should be a part of your duty too. You're the leader of the league and those under are only as strong as the lead. 

The fact VHLM commissioners only earn 3 TPE a week is bull shit. The turn over rate is absolutely crazy and the work load is up there in crazy shit too. Every 8 seasons a player recycles in the VHL, but almost every seasons or two it happens in the VHLM. I'd say the work load is more in the VHLM. They make 12 TPE a fucking week to recruit and while they're doing a great job - are we assuming EVERY week they're recruiting?? Or are they sitting there, waiting for the next "best moment" to post on reddit or do a youtube ad? Or, in the mean time, stirring up ideas? Then, at the end of the day, and while not trying to take away credit - @Beaviss does a large portion of getting everything together. Again, they likely do a lot and have done a great amount of work, - but what happens when reddit and youtube aren't a thing? They still get 12 TPE a week.

A VHLM Commissioner easily deserves 6 TPE a week to replace the Media Spot side of things.I would even go as far to argue they deserve to have 8 TPE to replace the Fan 590 as well. I mean, recruitment earns 12 and so many other roles around the league earn 2-3, so the fact the VHLM commissioner, one of the toughest roles on the site, only earns 3 is a joke. Maybe if you paid more, expectations and results from said commissioners could be more too. Again, the lowest I'd say is 6 TPE. @Will @Beketov

4. New Systems for Waivers, Finances and Draft Pick Tracker

I'm not going to touch up huge on this as I do not know what @Will plans are for the portal and the VHLM. I'd need to talk to him first, but I have a few projects in mind where we throw all 3 things onto an excel sheet and have it there to be updated. Half the time they're never updated and even a little bit more of a professional look, while being more organized would help. Not to mention the draft pick tracker hadn't been updated for the longest time. That's how draft picks get traded multiple times and go unnoticed by managers and commissioners.. just saying. 

5. Movement of teams

I'll be the first one to say it. I like Halifax getting a team, though, I REALLY think there was a good list of places that may have been better. As for the name, I get it's a special bridge or whatever, but the name is stupid in my eyes and lots agreed. I think the only ones who liked it thus far that I spoke to were anyone who lived around there or people who were involved in choosing said stupid team name. Either way, it's here to stay. However, hopefully some other teams aren't. 

I think Oslo may be a team that is hard to move. Lots of connections there, a recent win and blah blah. Wins, though, shouldn't mean fuck all in this league because it's not as hard to do here as it is in the VHL. For me though? Yukon would be on the move. Don't like the team name, though I understand it. I don't like the location and think it's time to move to something a little better. It doesn't feel like it belongs here anymore. Vancouver? Chicago? Buffalo? Minnesota? Something on the West Cost? Denver? I don't know, but anything but Yukon. 

Despite what i said above, the second team I'd probably move are the Oslo Storm. Again, I'd used the names above - or cities, or come together with a few others but would move more to a North American styled team. For a third and last team as I like the others, It would have to be Las Vegas on the move. 

6. Expect more from your GM's.

How often do we hear it? This GM did that, said that or didn't do this. He didn't listen to me, didn't respond and blah. It's not even NEW GM's, a lot of them are veteran members who shouldn't be saying or doing this sort of shit. The GM's, despite holding less power than the commissioners, hold the same amount of importance. You're the guys on the front line. You help the new guys most, keep the LR active and make everything fun. It's your job to make sure the boats 100%, everyone is enjoying themselves and retention, again, is part of your job description. 

If you're not doing your job fully or after  a few seasons still struggle, it may be time to move on. It seems like we have a healthy group of guys in the league right now and while new, should be good. A little bit of guidance and everything will be good in my eyes. Though, an eye on them to make sure is never a bad thing. 

1,628 words - 3 WEEKS - Kovalchuk

13th to 19th * DOUBLE (donations)

20th to 26th

27th to Sept2nd

1 minute ago, Dangles13 said:

Some interesting points. I don't think that more pay will help as much as you might think. The workload just weighs on people and they get burned out and downshift.

True, but they're deserving of more than 3 TPE a week regardless... Recruitment team gets 12 a week.. which is fucking crazy.. thats a stupid amount.. especially considering not every week is a recruitment drive etc going. Reddit and Youtube are their big cheeses, so that's what they run off. What happens when those 2 aren't going and they're still collecting 12 a week? :) 

My point, if they get 12 a week... VHLM commissioner should get at least 6. 

• Commissioner
57 minutes ago, Banackock said:

My point, if they get 12 a week... VHLM commissioner should get at least 6. 

I mean I should probably raise my own pay as well if that’s the case since blue’s also get 3 but that’s neither here nor there.

12 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean I should probably raise my own pay as well if that’s the case since blue’s also get 3 but that’s neither here nor there.

Likely, sure - but, that wasn't relevant to what was being said (as you stated in the HoF vote hehe). This is about VHLM commissioners and the VHLM, not VHL. I'd also rather be a VHL commish than a VHLM possibly. Dunno. 

Either way, needs a raise. 

10 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

*sees criticism of veteran VHLM GMs

*looks at list of VHLM GMs and does process of elimination

The fuck did I do?

not you haha. Previous years and more so generalization. You're a #1 guy

• 1 month later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to How Do We Improve The VHLM? [1/2]