Why don't we retire numbers anymore?

Beketov

• Commissioner

Incoming old man rant, you've been warned.

Back in my day the VHL had this thing called retired numbers. In fact the forum still exists for them, you can find it here. Unlike most of the HoF though, retired numbers have seemingly gone the way of the dinosaurs. A quick check reveals that the last team announcement regarding number retirements was over a year and a half ago when Toronto retired World B. Free's #99. So why did they stop, where did they go?

My estimate is simply that GM's have gotten complacent in regards to this aspect of the league that really has no affect on anyone. It is true that having your number retired by a team didn't actually change anything. You didn't have better odds of getting into the Hall of Fame or anything (though I know Beketov is my only retired number and also my only HoF player, coincidence?) by having your number retired. However the gesture was still nice. Especially to those players who maybe spent a long time with 1 team or helped them out in one way or another but never quite hit Hall of Fame level numbers. Having your jersey retired doesn't mean that you were necessarily the best player ever but the team recognized your contribution none-the-less.

It's also something that's honestly easy to do. Once we get a design sorted, which wouldn't be that hard to do, they would take next to no time to make. There's no voting process on the matter like the HoF and GM's can decide to honour whomever they want for whatever reason. Was it always kinda an empty gesture? Sure but that doesn't mean it wasn't an entertaining part of the league that has gone dark recently.

So, this is my petition to the GM's of the VHL; Hell, even to the GM's of the VHLM because they deserve them too: retire some numbers. Let's give this section some love again. Maybe @Will could even get it a rightful spot in the Portal Hall of Fame. Why not, right?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Victor said:

Calgary retired CAL G who never played for 'em, that's when shit really hit the fan.

That was an odd one but obviously stuff like that could be easily avoided.

I’m also trying to remember how that worked out again. Wasn’t it that @JardyB10 was supposed to get CAL G via the GM rule but dropped the team and traded himself before he ever hit the VHL?

• Admin
1 minute ago, Beketov said:

That was an odd one but obviously stuff like that could be easily avoided.

I’m also trying to remember how that worked out again. Wasn’t it that @JardyB10 was supposed to get CAL G via the GM rule but dropped the team and traded himself before he ever hit the VHL?

Yeah, Jason needed to trade him to bring in his own recreate in Clark Marcellin.

Ended up getting the pick from Seattle which became Phil Rafter, but traded that to get Marius Henchoz, so that Satan i.e. Bushito could become Davos GM and we/Calgary could still get a goalie. Everyone involved won a cup in the end.