VHL/VHLM App Idea

Nacci25

Hello VHL Community,

I'm Nacho (Nacci25) and I'm a new rookie, a new guy in general to the VHL. I do a lot of graphic designing as a hobby and at the same time find myself wanting to do things for tpe on the go. I'll be for example at the store or a Tim Hortons waiting in line and want to check up on stats or looking to see if my tpe claim was approved. Yes I can just go to my web browsing app and go to the website but then I thought how convenient it would be to have an app to quickly and easily browse forums and my player profile. Have notifications pushed to my lock screen when my teams game stats are in or a reminder I have TPE to apply. Well...here is what I propose. The VHL app! I have a couple mock up concept art I made up. I'll post them attached to this post and as I continue to make more I will comment them here. I will take ALL FEEDBACK. Good or bad. constructive or positive! Let me know what you guys think.

P.S I don't know how many people this will reach or who exactly it reaches but I hope it reaches many!

1801701213_AppLoginscreen1.thumb.jpg.2c6fe5438b3924ce64e9a152c0a45cf8.jpg

*This is a mock-up of what could be the login page*

Edited by Nacci25

5 minutes ago, Nacci25 said:

897199105_Appsignupscreen1.thumb.jpg.dde14183b5b71687cc7d7f6243f7f26f.jpg

*another of the Sign up Page*

I'm also looking into how to code and create an app so I can make a working product!

Have you ever created an app before? We were looking into it but the costs were too high.

8 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Have you ever created an app before? We were looking into it but the costs were too high.

I have not but I've been trying to learn to code one and willing to to do more to make a possible app for this 

@Beaviss

Just now, Nacci25 said:

I have not but I've been trying to learn to code one and willing to to do more to make a possible app for this 

@Beaviss

That's awesome well let me know if you want to attempt it.

2 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

That's awesome well let me know if you want to attempt it.

I will for sure! I was going to attempt tomorrow and I want to make at least something functioning 

34 minutes ago, Nacci25 said:

I will for sure! I was going to attempt tomorrow and I want to make at least something functioning 

Awesome pm me if you have any success.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissioner
On 3/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, Nacci25 said:

As a Halifax brother, let me know if you need any help. I'm a data architect and java programmer by trade so i'm sure we can throw something together. 

21 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

It's an interesting idea. I just finished an app for a semester-long project, and everything we managed to do wasn't terribly difficult. Depending on the resources available on the VHL's side, and the amount of functionality you'd want the app to have, it might not be too hard to implement.

Hell, maybe I'll talk to my team and see if we want to take this on. We enjoyed making our app for the project, I'm sure doing something for the VHL would be just as fun.

@Beaviss

What would you want/need?

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

What would you want/need?

If I recall for an iPhone version you need an apple developer account so that would be a thing...

Mind you we could start with an android version and see how that goes first.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

If I recall for an iPhone version you need an apple developer account so that would be a thing...

Mind you we could start with an android version and see how that goes first.

Thats what im thinking having a VHL app could be insane for retention and functionality. Imagine every time you get a message you get a notification and you could build discord into it. Portal could be an area on it as well. Tons of possibility's.

2 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

To get a feel for things, we'd definitely start by getting a list of everything you need the app to do as a bottom line. Are we implementing just the portal, only certain features of the portal, or everything including the forums and such?

I'm assuming the answer to this question is yes, since the backend is already up and running through the portal, but is there an API that we can use to pull data from the site in order to properly display it?

1. looks great

image.png

2. Have it communicate the functionality of the forums and the portal built into one app.

3. Somehow have discord communicate to it?

4. make it work better than just having browser open on your phone.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

Correct, getting anything onto the Apple store would be a pain in the ass. We can develop cross-platform thanks to some of the tools we utilized for our project, but releasing it officially would be a process. Android would come first, but assuming we could eventually get a hold of an Apple developer account, an iPhone version would be ready to go instantly.

A dev account is only $99 a year so it's nothing crazy. If an android version proves functionality and a user base we could likely register an official VHL one to get it on the app store.

4 hours ago, Beketov said:

A dev account is only $99 a year so it's nothing crazy. If an android version proves functionality and a user base we could likely register an official VHL one to get it on the app store.

I used to have one I can check and see if it’s still active with apple

@Sonnet

Edited by Nacci25
Added the tag

5 hours ago, Acydburn said:

As a Halifax brother, let me know if you need any help. I'm a data architect and java programmer by trade so i'm sure we can throw something together. 

Will do. This is exactly why I want an app, if I didn’t check the site I would’ve never known you or anyone for that matter commented on this! Unless I’m missing something, I wish there was some way to get a notification on my device/lock screen. Which is why I wanna make an app. I’m not real knowledgeable with actual coding, I’m more graphical. I tried (still am) trying to learn python and swift

4 hours ago, Beaviss said:

1. looks great

image.png

2. Have it communicate the functionality of the forums and the portal built into one app.

3. Somehow have discord communicate to it?

4. make it work better than just having browser open on your phone.

That’s exactly what I want to do, I know you can save the bookmark as an icon on a home screen but it’s basically just a shortcut lol. I want this to be its own entity. Love feedback!

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, Nacci25 said:

Will do. This is exactly why I want an app, if I didn’t check the site I would’ve never known you or anyone for that matter commented on this! Unless I’m missing something, I wish there was some way to get a notification on my device/lock screen. Which is why I wanna make an app. I’m not real knowledgeable with actual coding, I’m more graphical. I tried (still am) trying to learn python and swift

Closest thing would be that you can turn on auto-follow for your topics and can get an email when someone replies to a topic you follow.

@rjfryman not sure if you are too busy for this or if this is even in your field, but I know you're a software developer as well and I thought of you when I read through this thread,

An app would be pretty neat. I don't think it would necessarily improve my experience - depends what it had to offer, but it would obviously likely get a bunch of people to join via app store.

Cool idea. I don't think we'll see it done etc due to costs and difficulty of creating an app (probably hard as shit unless you know what you're doing), but you never know. 

Well it really depends on what we are doing currently with the code base. There are a couple ways to implement an app like this. I would have to look at the current code base to see what the best way to make the app would be but. It is possible. 

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

Well it really depends on what we are doing currently with the code base. There are a couple ways to implement an app like this. I would have to look at the current code base to see what the best way to make the app would be but. It is possible. 

What I was talking with @Sonnet about is have notifications on the site being sent to your phone via the app. That way whenever someone tags you etc it would send you a notification.

That would be a major feature that could increase retention and recruitment.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:38 AM, Beketov said:

all you need to do for the account is sign up. YOu need to pay for the app license though

• 2 months later...