Featured Article Bonus

With the hiring of a new position designated to putting new articles on the front page of the portal I had an idea. What if getting featured came with a bonus? 1-2 uncapped TPE if your article gets selected for the portal. It incentivizes writing pieces with a high production value and broad appeal. The draw back obviously, is that it gives one person the power to dole out uncapped TPE and this power can be abused.

What do you think? Will the added incentive increase high-quality content on the site? Will the curation of the portal news become a corrupt cesspit of free TPE?

35 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I'm all for featuring articles and graphics on the portal (as they are) as well as on the forum somehow, but I don't think there needs to be any TPE handed out for it.

This

Everything doesn't have to have TPE attached. There is such a thing of being proud that you made it onto the front page.

7 hours ago, Erik Summers said:

corrupt cesspit

Not necessarily "corrupt," but probably a cesspit anyway. We'll probably see people whose articles aren't all that great (and/or people who write 2500 words of garbage and then expect to get it posted because it's long) start bitching at anyone and everyone because their stuff isn't being featured. 

It also provides quite the advantage to people who are good at writing and those who have been here a while and know what they're talking about--I can name maybe 5 people on this site who write consistently and whose articles are consistently above and beyond others in terms of depth and knowledge. This would basically end up giving uncapped TPE to those people with every article, assuming the best articles are put up every week. For others, it really isn't a bonus, unless you sit down and do it--which some people either don't have the time for or even don't have the skill for (I'm not trying to come across as condescending; it's just the situation as I see it).

4 hours ago, Motzaburger said:

In fact, since we already give TPE to VSN to do great articles, can't we shell out less TPE by letting VSN be in charge of the portal news?

I'm very much in favor of this idea. VSN is supposed to be more official than the media spot forum, so why not give it a platform and allow them to publish things on the portal? No extra TPE required. And if there's something that isn't a VSN article that deserves to be featured, there's nothing stopping VSN from featuring that too. Maybe have a "guest writer of the week" or something. I love you @Maasa but I do think the system itself could be improved.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

I'm very much in favor of this idea. VSN is supposed to be more official than the media spot forum, so why not give it a platform and allow them to publish things on the portal

When I designed the front page with a news section that was kinda the intention. We were still running the mag at the time and we asked the editor if they could use the news section of the portal for their articles instead. Never really stuck. The VSN is basically what the mag used to be (in theory at least) so it would make sense.

25 minutes ago, Beketov said:

When I designed the front page with a news section that was kinda the intention. We were still running the mag at the time and we asked the editor if they could use the news section of the portal for their articles instead. Never really stuck. The VSN is basically what the mag used to be (in theory at least) so it would make sense.

Restricting it to VSN would mean that the same few article writers get featured week after week. I would open it up to be any articles tbh.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Restricting it to VSN would mean that the same few article writers get featured week after week. I would open it up to be any articles tbh.

I should have explained better, I did only just wake up. The intention would be VSN articles as the main source to keep things moving through it but not restricting it to those. Basically others could be added in if they are of a certain quality. I don’t think any uncapped should be awarded for it though.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

I should have explained better, I did only just wake up. The intention would be VSN articles as the main source to keep things moving through it but not restricting it to those. Basically others could be added in if they are of a certain quality. I don’t think any uncapped should be awarded for it though.

I think this having an article you write be featured should be an honour on its own.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Erik Summers said:

Millennials - Maybe you could pay us for our work?

Boomers - Knowing you did a good job should be payment enough.

I was born in ‘91 ?‍♂️

Also the payment is the TPE for the article in the first place. This isn’t about a lack of payment, this is asking for extra payment based on the discretion of a single person. Sometimes people just need to be willing to make the league a better place without extra uncapped incentives.

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I was born in ‘91 ?‍♂️

Also the payment is the TPE for the article in the first place. This isn’t about a lack of payment, this is asking for extra payment based on the discretion of a single person. Sometimes people just need to be willing to make the league a better place without extra uncapped incentives.

Yeah, the joke was just too easy, I couldn't help myself.

I see what everyone is saying, and I totally get it. I got inspired by a conversation that happened in discord. I think you can really tell the difference between an article that took 2 hours to write and one that took 6 and a part of me would love to see that extra work rewarded. But yeah, I understand how hard it would be to make an effective system for doing that.

7 hours ago, Enorama said:

14 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

And if there's something that isn't a VSN article that deserves to be featured, there's nothing stopping VSN from featuring that too. Maybe have a "guest writer of the week" or something.

One part of the VSN job should be to identify good articles and media spots and showcase them. Not even sure if a bonus is needed, but why not throw in a small bone there for those selected for good content.

While I am at it; I personally enjoy listen to our podcasters, so if they can be spotlighted a bit now and then - and perhaps get more people doing videos and/or podcasts - that would be a good thing IMO.