An inside look at 3 seasons worth of trades

Enorama

We've gone through D.C.'s drafts thus far, now it's time to examine some trades, as they kind of go hand in hand.

S67 off-season

DC receives:

S68 MAL 2nd

Davos receives:

Expansion Draft Considerations

This one was simple, take a guy that Shawn asked me to, and he gives me a decent free pick. Of course, the player was inactive, and I honestly can't even remember who it was off the top of my head, but I'll take the pick regardless, seeing as how there were not many players on Davos I was particularly attracted to.

DC receives:

S68 MOS 3rd

Calgary receives:

Expansion Draft Considerations

Similar idea to the one above, but this deal was actually made during the draft. Bush told us that whoever took Malenko from him first would get the third, I ended up taking him with the 5th pick in the expansion draft, awarding me a mid-round pick.

Seattle receives:

Maxim Kovalchuk

DC receives:

S68 TOR 4th

S69 SEA 3rd

This one raised a few eyebrows, but I think it's quite simple really. I was hoarding picks, and would have loved to take advantage of the pick attached to an inactive player that a lack of actives would have given me, but Seattle had a couple active players. Even before this pick, Prague took advantage of it and grabbed an inactive and a 4th from Toronto, leaving me to figure out what to do with Seattle. I figured that if I took Kovalchuk, Bana would be likely to send me an offer at at least the same value as what d_a took from Toronto. Lo and behold, he instantly shot me an offer of 3rd + 4th, which was better value than the pick right before me, and I was happy to take it.

Moscow receives:

S68 DCD 1st

S69 DCD 2nd

D.C. receives:

S68 MOS 1st

I have made my distaste at my initial draft position quite clear at this point, and I wasn't satisfied with 11th overall. If the league wouldn't help me, I'd do it myself. This trade up to 5th overall let me bring in Valentino @Kekzkrieg, the first entry draft pick of the franchise. Couldn't be happier with it.

S68

D.C. receives:

Devin Gabella

Moscow receives:

S70 DCD 4th

This was supposed to be the first part of a trade that would have me claiming Kingfisher in IFA and sending him over later in the season. A wrench was thrown into this when I actually lost the claim on Kingfisher (somehow, another thing to complain to the league about I suppose). Victor promised to make it back up to me someday because otherwise I just paid to pick up a cap dump. The nerve, eh?

D.C. receives:

Charles Drumm

Pekka Pouta

Vancouver receives:

S69 SEA 3rd

S69 DCD 4th

First real player trade for D.C. here. We played a few games with just a bot goalie and really only two-three active roster players before bringing in @frescoelmo and @Snussu. To date, the two remain with the team, and the value that we gave up for them is far outweighed by the value they bring to the team both on the ice and in the locker room. The only reason they ended up coming so cheaply was because Vancouver simply had too many players, and weren't able to give either of them any ice time at all.

HC Davos receives:

Piotr Jerwa

S69 SEA 2nd

S69 DCD 3rd

Seattle receives:

Shawn Glade

D.C. receives:

S69 DAV 1st

S69 SEA 4th

The first big boy, and the first time I ever traded away any player (an active player to boot). When I took Jerwa in the expansion draft, my intention was always to sell him as a rental at the deadline. Luckily, @majesiu was a good sport about it and waived his No Trade Clause to give me the best return I could find, which was stapling a 3rd round pick to him and sending him to Davos for what I hoped would be a lottery 1st round pick. Davos ended up making a late season push for playoffs, so it fell to 7th overall, but that was good enough for me to bring in another really solid player. The kicker is that Jerwa ended up coming back to D.C. in free agency, despite offers from better teams. 

S68 off-season

Seattle receives:

S71 DCD 4th

D.C. receives:

Boone Jenton

Carles Puigdemont

Finnegan MacBurn

S69 MAL 4th

S70 NYA 4th

Picking up an extra 4th rounder in exchange for taking on two seasons of Jenton's and MacBurn's salaries (Puidgemont expired the same off-season in which they were acquired). The value I got here is virtually nonexistent truthfully speaking, but I also only really lost out on a bit of bonus room for my active players. The real win for me here is the goodwill I hopefully accumulated for some future deals.

D.C. receives:

Anthony Hawk

Evgeni Komarov

S70 DCD 4th

S71 MOS 3rd

Moscow receives:

S69 SEA 4th

This is how @Victor ended up making things right from our part 1 up there. Shipping me some salary and a 3rd while also sending me that 4th rounder back. Komarov actually retired before the season and Hawk was eligible to be sent down, so I ended up eating 0 salary in this deal. It all worked out.

D.C. receives:

Guy Lesieur

Riga receives:

S69 DAV 1st

S70 DCD 3rd

S71 DCD 3rd

This really should have gone under the draft article, because this was a draft day deal, but it is technically a trade. From several weeks before the draft, @McWolf (DCD AGM) and I had our 7th (or was it 8th) overall pick chalked in as being Guy Lesieur @KC15. He was projected to go a few picks later, and he'd written many articles talking about how he really badly wanted to be a Dragon, so we didn't think we would have any issues picking him up in that slot. Then @hedgehog337 came in and did some hedge things, and we watched Lesieur go off the board just one pick before our own. Now, I was at some party or other halfway across the world at this point, so McW and I had organized a contingency plan in case this specific scenario occured. I told him to instantly offer anyone who grabbed Lesieur 1-3 slots ahead of us the Davos 1st plus our 3rds in the next two drafts. Thankfully, hedge accepted the offer, and we brought our boy home. Although I'm sure most viewers of the draft were annoyed by the 5-10 minute delay between the two picks.

D.C. receives:

Chad Gilbert

S70 DCD 3rd

Riga receives:

S70 DCD 4th

Simple cap dump deal, we've still got some cap space to work with, so we reacquire the 3rd we gave up for Lesieur and send off the later 4th.

S69

D.C. receives:

S70 RIG 2nd

Riga receives:

Shane Mars

S70 DCD 3rd

Oh look, here's that S70 DCD 3rd again, going back to Riga. Good thing that isn't actually a player, because then he'd have spent dozens of hours on planes at this point. This deal was actually interesting though, not a cap-related deal, as it was executed mid-season on the same day that we picked Mars up from inactive FA. Actually, hedge's reason behind giving us the upgraded pick was that seeing as how Mars was on inactive free agency, any attempt at picking him up would be made public, and anyone with a higher priority than Riga (basically the whole league) would have the chance at grabbing him. D.C., on the other hand, was first in the priority list, so we were able to grab him instantly, and ship him off to Riga right away for an upgraded pick.

S69 off-season

D.C. receives:

Elasmobranch Fish

Toronto receives:

S70 RIG 2nd

S71 MOS 3rd

This is where things start to get fun. After two losing seasons, D.C. is starting to look like a hockey team. Toronto is entering a fire sale, and so we grabbed a dman from them for a pair of mid-round picks. The added bonus to us is that @Sharkstrong actually joined the locker room and returned to activity shortly after the deal. The jury's still out on whether Fish stays on defense or if he makes the switch to forward, but he's poised to be an impact player right away for the Dragons regardless.

Seattle receives:

S70 DCD 1st

S71 DCD 2nd

S72 DCD 3rd

D.C. receives:

John Frostbeard

This deal actually took forever to iron out. I knew that I wanted to trade our S70 1st if it didn't lottery out to 1st or 2nd, as I felt like the top two in the draft were eons beyond anyone else. I had some offers that related to draft picks and other players, but some players in Seattle were the ones I was most interested in, due to their combination of age, member, TPE earning rate, etc. Understandably, @Banackock was having some real issues trading any part of his beloved core away, which is why negotiations took so long. This deal will end up looking like an extreme boom or bust depending on whether or not @FrostBeard chooses to leave in free agency or if he extends with the Dragons.

1,569 words. Claiming for Washington for the weeks ending 1/19, 1/26, and 2/2.

The expansion draft considerations were for Dan Gles. It's weird bc at the time, Gles looked fairly similar to my expansion draft considerations piece, Erik Draven - now, they look nothing alike. Just the luck of the draw sometimes