Regression vs forced retirement

Devise is wrong and his opinion is irrelevant.

To clarify, suddenly turning to shit meaning someone in their prime leading the league in scoring with 120 points and then scarping 80-90 after one off-season. Realism! So important in our intercontinental, 2-game-a-day league.

Like that doesn't already happen already in the sim.

My argument isn't the same as Molholt's, though. My concern here isn't realism.

Edited by Hustles

• Admin

Like that doesn't already happen already in the sim.

My argument isn't the same as Molholt's, though. My concern here isn't realism.

No, and mine isn't the record-books or realism either, but we've discussed that already.

Glad to see i sparked debate. Like i said im not trying to ruin the history or break records. Frankly id rather try to play as long as my player can then retire(much like an NHLer). Id battle 13% for the sake of it an lose my points for mt next player as if it stays 8 year i likely wont recreate anyways.

Ive given a few ideas if people dont like them its fine.

Like i said to recap was

A add two year raise regression higher each year.

B make it a buy option with only a slightly higher regression an make it a high price so only those who really want it get it. Put a cap of maybe 2 years or so.

C the idea some propossed high depression an take away the points for next player.

End of the day its ur guys choice but i wanted to put it out there an try to improve the league for everyone.

I also really dislike an eight year career. A lot of great members created at the same time years ago, then re-created together, more joined, etc. This makes for uneven draft classes a lot of the time.

On a side note, I'm happy to see a new member share his honest opinion and get involved with discussion.

I went 8th overall Koradek went 10th overall in this past draft and we are two notable members who have made solid players. So, the uneven draft class thing only really matters if you dont put in an effort to best them. Green is only 2nd gen and he's a lock to go 1st.

• Commissioner

I went 8th overall Koradek went 10th overall in this past draft and we are two notable members who have made solid players. So, the uneven draft class thing only really matters if you dont put in an effort to best them. Green is only 2nd gen and he's a lock to go 1st.

This

I had the most TPE by a solid margin in my draft class and still went 5th overall; with a first-gen ahead of me. Re-creates don’t make anything impossible for first-gens. Besides, there is no guarantee at all that people will always go the full 8 and re-create together. If that were the case Higgins would be in the next draft with Green.

Also, since you're so concerned with the records, even with ten seasons of his average, Phil Rafter would have been 91 goals and 124 points short of Scotty. That's the closest anyone (aside from those who played in the old times) would have been.

Rafter 2 gud.

I don't know what all the fuss is about .8 season careers is a perfect number imho to keep activity levels up. Hasn't the 40+ seasons shown this?

If you don't like the system here are your options: 

1) PM me. I'll read it and then drink enough beer until I plaster up a great drunk response.

2) Leave the league in a fit of whine and cheese. 

3) Get to SSK, Canada and stone Jardy's Llama.

4) Suck it up and deal with life - because even if life is a bed of roses,.. those motherfucking thorns are still gonna get you.

I don't know what all the fuss is about .8 season careers is a perfect number imho to keep activity levels up. Hasn't the 40+ seasons shown this?

No, it hasn't. It has shown that forced retirement after 8 seasons works, but nothing about how well it works relative to anything that has been proposed in this thread.

Edited by Hustles

Well there's only one way to find out then. 

Streetlight will create another league (which I will definitely create a player in - my player name shall be Phil Up the Czar) with different rules and we'll see which league dies first!

IT'S A RACE FOR THE AGES FOLKS. 

No, it hasn't. It has shown that forced retirement after 8 seasons works, but nothing about how well it works relative to anything that has been proposed in this thread.

So... you're proposing (based on no tangible evidence, mind you) that the numerous lesser ideas, none of which have yet to gain any substance so far in this thread, are better?  Relative to the current model that has worked for...  calendar years?  Are you suggesting we should throw out the current model for something that might work, just to try it?

So... you're proposing (based on no tangible evidence, mind you) that the numerous lesser ideas, none of which have yet to gain any substance so far in this thread, are better?  Relative to the current model that has worked for...  calendar years?  Are you suggesting we should throw out the current model for something that might work, just to try it?

No, but I am saying that possibility of something better is out there. Seriously, minus some stuff Victor said, I think the only arguments against considering any change are "Scotty's records" and "this doesn't need to be changed." (None of the stuff that Victor said is being reiterated by anyone else, though; they maintain that the two latter arguments are sufficient enough to treat the idea like it's shit.)

I think everyone is WAY overplaying the impact that a change such as the following would make:

Beginning in your 9th season, no banked TPE will make it through depreciation (if you have banked TPE when you depreciate, it goes away).

9th season: 13% depreciation; 4% carryover

10th season: 19% depreciation; 2% carryover

11th season: 25% depreciation; no carryover

etc.

People who are going to recreate wouldn't likely want to suffer these penalties, unless I guess they had a really good shot at some sort of record (though I believe Scotty's goals/points records would still be safe, based on the fact that no player's career average puts him closer than 90 goals/120 points of Scotty, extrapolating to a 10 season career). Maybe some others would extend their careers as well, but I don't really see what would be so wrong with that. If players who don't plan on recreating wanted to stick around for one or two more seasons, it would add more bodies in the VHL for that time.

I am sort of with Streetlight on this one. I think there's a reasonable solution to extending player's career at a cost high enough to deter most members. Some members might start being really active with their players only in their 3rd season with them and want a longer time with their players instead of retiring and re-creating. Some people might just really want to break some records at the cost of their next player. It would add a new dynamic here, that's for sure.

Also Street should get at least 5 TPE + a free week for doing career stats. That shit is painful and also the lifeblood of this league.

• Commissioner

So it's fair to new players to come in with everyone dominating? Ruins the experience.

The players who are dominating will retire and make room for those same new players to dominate, it's how the cycle works. Making careers longer will mean the players dominating now may retire later meaning they'll simply dominate for longer.

The players who are dominating will retire and make room for those same new players to dominate, it's how the cycle works. Making careers longer will mean the players dominating now may retire later meaning they'll simply dominate for longer.

Yeah.. I was saying that they should lessen the careers. I don't even know the current rule though, but if it is regression -- I was saying it should be forced retirement.