VHL Mod Team Hiring

Baozi

Hello VHL,

The VHL Mod team will be introducing several openings to assist in the moderation of both the forum and discord.

Pay: 6 TPE Weekly Capped

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability throughout the day to be checking into the forums and discord and respond to staff pings promptly. (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa.

3) Older than 20 years (or demonstration of maturity and judgement) 

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

Additional things you may add for consideration:

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am MST wanted.

- Moderation experience and ability 

- Human resource experience and/or sensitivity classes/training taken

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod.

- Ability to deal with difficult situations

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted. If you believe you fall under certain exceptions to certain stipulations here, you are encouraged to apply, however you will need to include reasoning as to why this stipulation will not impede your duties.

Given the nature and seriousness of this position, I will not be accepting submissions of the nature of "You know who I am". For full transparency, you must address the traits and additional considerations.

Questions and Answers:

Good lord you're asking for moderators to make this a full time job. A tad unrealistic for someone like me who can't be around for eight hours a day just to moderate a forum and a Discord. 

This job is not glamorous nor is it easy, it is for those that have the time and ability to put in the effort that is required and are willing to make the sacrifice to make this community an inclusive and safe space for everyone.

I read it as: you're not working or sleeping for 8 hours, during which you would be available to intervene if something happens and you're tagged.

Not as: you need to meticulously read through every post on the forum and Discord for 8 hours.

You are not expected to read every single forum/chat post.

You are expected to be able to monitor reasonably during these times. (ie having a second monitor open with the chat function, looking in every so often during reasonable time period, look through new posts within reason).

People can do that without turning into a machine and having to watch for inappropriate actions for eight hours a day. Instead of looking like that, it would be easier to say 'willing to moderate when present'. You're not going to run into a lot of good candidates if you're looking for someone who's constantly around; sure it's not glamorous or easy, but it's certainly not a job nor worth 2 TPE based on your expectations. 

Personally a better route (in my honest opinion) would be to offer moderation to those who are trusted and see if they accept, then I'd make a post about hiring more if the occasion arises that they are needed. Some people are on at different times, different availability, and you've practically alienated anyone who is working through COVID. It's more about coverage and not duration.

Thank you for your questions. You are right, I am looking for basically incredibly high expectations to start. If a lack of candidates should be proposed, I will consider those that may only fulfill certain stipulations. If you feel you fit all other requirements aside from the hours available, I encourage you to apply in the case I move to alternative requirements postings if a lack of fit candidates are presented.

Edited by tfong

I will apply although I am the GM of Calgary. 

-I am on throughout the entire day and respond to discord notification quite quickly. I’m usually on from 630 am - 1130 PM MST. Weekend as late as 2-3AM. 
-I am also a lot older than 20. Although I won’t disclose publicly lol.

-I may not have the most experience when it comes to moderating but can keep an unbiased perspective on a situation and follow the correct course of action to resolve any issue that may arise.

Thanks for the consideration, please let me know if you have any questions.

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.
I am on the forums and discord all day, looking to see where I can post or what games i can play. I often just read stuff when i am bored. Its how i learned how some of the league operated. So I have more then 8 hours. I am usually on from 6 am ESt - 11/12 PM Est. every day. 

already 2FA and Respond anytime someone pings me already. Im a chatty Cathy and love to chill in the Discord. 

30 years old, I know i am old haha

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 
not a GM yet but hopefully one day, I am amble to separate one thing form another so my emotions would not be swayed regardless of what other job is held. I can promise you that.

already am :)

I am a mod in a few Discords, some over 100+ members.

Had too for my job

my goal since I came in was to have fun and better the league. if that means this is how i do it then I would be honored. 

I like to think I can. I am usually able to pull myself out of situations to calm down so i can think rationally. 

I know what you are thinking, this new annoying member trying to get any job she can. I just really like this league. i have not had this much fun in a long time, and I want to help in anyway I can. so if you consider me thank you, if you dont Thank you for trying to make the league a better and safer place. 

Edited by Horcrux

7 hours ago, tfong said:

The ideal individual should possess the following traits:

1) Online availability at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

You know who I am

1. I'm generally on Discord, or have quick access to it for this time. I'm in EST so active hours are normal people EST hours I suppose. I check forums quite often as well.

2. I have 2FA and respond to pings relatively quickly. Depends who's pinging me :P 

3. 21

4. I am a GM, but consider myself able to handle conflicts of interest. It is part of the requirement to be an updater as well, to treat all teams and players fairly.

Additional things:

1. I'm not very active during this time range at this time, but my schedule is pretty variable based on the day of the week.

2. Yeah, modded various servers in the past.

3. Worked a quasi-HR job in college which also provided sensitivity classes/trainings.

4. Pretty objective in disputes outside when I make it obvious I will abandon rational thought for the sake of (lighthearted) humor. High tolerance to BS and the ability to de-escalate situations well. 

5. I think I handle all situations well. I escalate situations to the appropriate personnel when necessary, or when I feel that I could not adequately or impartially handle a situation.

• Baozi featured this topic

1) Online availability throughout the day to be checking into the forums and discord and respond to staff pings promptly. (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

Overwhelmingly active, so much so I’m top 5 in Mee6 levels, nearly top 3. 8am -> 11pm PST weekdays usually and 10am -> 11pm on weekends.

I hate the red bubble, so I make sure to look each of them up, respond, and clear them out. Also already verified.

19, but I think that’s close enough. I may be memey in discord but when given a position I make sure to do it in the best way possible. When I have an expectation of me I make sure to meet and/or exceed.

I’m in BoG, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue seeing as you, fishy, and fonzi have been in and are in BoG.

I'll throw my name into the hat here.

1. I'm on discord from pretty much 9am to 11pm most days with the exceptions from about 4-7pm because of other commitments.

2. I can respond to discord pings quite easily and quickly and also have 2AF already set up.

3. I am not 20 (I am 18) but believe that I have shown plenty of maturity with the way I have already had to handle situations. I do believe that I can handle situations that present in good and appropriate manner. 

4. I am Halifax GM but am unbiased in manners that come to serious situations. I don't really believe that being a gm would effect my ability to perform at the standard needed for this job. I want to help make the league safer and a better place for all involved in it.

I've had experiences and jobs that have worked with all sorts of people in past where high communication was needed. The experiences made me learn how to communicate with all different types of people and how to handle difficult high stress situations. I have a passion for this league and want to be able to help it improve and continue to move forward. If you have further questions about why I would be a good candidate feel free to reach out.

I know that I am a GM but I’ve seen that you want a few more mods and there is not much applications so I’ll try my luck and apply anyway.

1. My available hours tend to differ as I never work at the same hours but I think that I proved the be quite active on both discord and the forum. Though, I often finish work at 2AM and only get to bed at 4AM so I can cover those needed hours

2. I always responded to all my pings and DMs, I also already have 2fa enabled.

3. I’m 23

4. i do hold a GM job but it wouldn’t come into a conflict of interest

The main reason why I’m applying is because I like this community and I want everyone to be ab’e to enjoy it properly not matter of their gender, orientation or ethnicity.

6 minutes ago, BOOM said:

Just clarifying something. Prior to being appointed(if successful) , is it a requirement that you must have never left the discord for any reason? 

It would depend on the reasoning behind it. People that ragequit or have problems dealing with difficult situations or conversations would obviously not be ideal.

i'll give it a shot

- I work 9-5 but i look at discord fairly often so im easily accessible from 6-7 am to like 10-11 pm est

-already 2fa

- i'm older than 20

- My only league job is updater

if you have any other questions feel free to dm me!

I am mod

I am in the timezone of not the rest of the league, your wanted times are just normal day time for me

Think I have 2fa, if not probably pretty easy fix

Nearing 30, so have the age thing covered 

I have no jobs

Constantly checking discord throughout the day, even though I don't post as much as I used to I'm always lurking. Have had fair share of run ins with ya Fong but all in good fun. Don't hold grudges against anyone and generally get along with most people and will be able to defuse situations. Haven't even dropped a c bomb in discord since April. I'm not as active on the forums as I'd like to be which is why I thought about not applying, but hopefully this will make me more so active. 

Cheers

Thank you all for your interest in the position, there were many strong applications and I'm happy to see interest/concern in this side of the community grow.

The Mod team welcomes the following to the team:

@dasboot 

@Domg5

@Dil

@Brewins15

As always, you don't need to be a mod to help our community. It still remains a member responsibility of each person to help make this community a safe and fun spot for others. Thanks again for everyone's time.