Where life has taken me and coming back

Laine

It's been a while since I've actually sat down to write a media spot. Honestly, it's felt like a while since I've really been as active on the forum in general. I've been busy and have a lot to talk about.

Where to begin...Well, I'm back in school full-time. I knew that heading into this school year my activity would slow significantly as with the amount of extra classes I take aside from my regular 8 slots (Band, Football, Rugby, etc) was really going to weigh on my activity. Unfortunately, that also led to the end of the ProAM Offseason Tournament, as balancing school, a GM position, the ProAM (although it only happened every once in a while) and everything else I have going in life isn't exactly sustainable. I still want to thank the entire ProAM staff team (@samx, @MexicanCow123, @Zetterberg and @Ricer13) as well as everyone who was a part of the ProAM for making that such a memorable experience.

A little while after that, I saw my former AGM @youloser1337 take a GM position in Mexico City. I was so happy that I was able to mentor him for 2 seasons and he's done a great job running Mex. Super proud of you Lose ❤️. Since then, I have yet another excellent AGM in @Horcrux and it's been an absolute honor to work with them so far! I'm hoping I am able to do as good as a job mentoring them as I can.

Speaking of GMing, I saw my good friend @JigglyGumballs step down from his spot as the GM of the Las Vegas Aces. @ajwllmsn has done a great job in running Vegas and I'm excited to see him take his next steps as a GM (still super proud you traded all the picks btw)! It was a bit sad in a way, as the two of us entered the league together, but seeing him take his break was I think a very good decision by him. We see each other all the time at school and I'm glad he's taking his time to slow it down and enjoy our Senior Year.

On the topic of being a Senior, Jiggs and I did play our last High School Football game a few weeks ago. We ran through the regular season, beating a few very good teams and heading into the playoffs with a 5-0 record. We ended up playing a team in semi-finals that we had played previously during week 4. In that game, we barely escaped with a 9-0 win thanks to our defense playing like the second coming of Seattle's Legion of Boom. Unfortunately, our offense couldn't get a lot going and our defense got tired as the game progressed, leading to us being knocked out. It was definitely an upsetting loss, but I couldn't have asked for a better team to play with and the memories I made along the way will always be with me for the rest of my life.

We usually have 2 teams, a JV team made up of mostly 9s and 10s and a Varsity Team of 11s and 12s. However, because of the circumstances of this year with COVID and everything, we ended up having a single team, with most of the team being 9s, 10s and 11s. I was able to become a leader and mentor a lot of the younger players and I hope I have the opportunity to come back as a coach next season. The younger guys really looked up to me so I hoped I showed them what not just being a good teammate and good football player is, but also being a great person.

Although the last two months have been really great, they've also provided their fair share of downs as well. I bottomed out emotionally at some point during September but with help from my friends and even a few members of the VHL community, I was able to get back on my feet really quickly. Things got even better. I met a really nice girl during one of our football games this season and the two of us started talking a lot. Last week, she confessed to me and now the two of us are closer than ever, which has been one of the greatest things to ever happen to me! We aren't quite dating yet, but things have gone good so far.

I made a new player in Calix Pearce. Making a defender is a lot different than a forward but I think I can handle it. I got drafted by Ottawa and I've had a great time with the opportunity @16z provided me with as a member of the Lynx! The Storm has since been relocated to Oslo and moved to the VHLE, along with the Geneva (formerly Yukon) Rush. Leading a team in the E is definitely a bit different but I think I haven't done too terrible yet so hopefully I will see improvement as the season goes on.

Now that brings me to one big thing I wanted to address while writing this. How does all this impact my future in the VHL? Well, even though I'm not as active as I once was, I still want to be a part of the VHL. I love this community and giving it up would be stupid. I'm not gonna lie, stepping back did cross my mind a few times, but it didn't stay for long. I'm at the point where I can balance everything without burning out like I would have over the last two months (don't ask how I can handle so much, I'm still trying to figure that one out). My hope is that I will be back and active like I was almost a year ago at this point.

We'll still see how this all will pan out long term, there is no guarantee that this will carry me all the way. However, for the time being, I'm back. Back and prepared to be my best for both myself and this community I call home.

- Laine

(1013 words)

Edited by Laine

9 minutes ago, Laine said:

It's been a while since I've actually sat down to write a media spot. Honestly, it's felt like a while since I've really been as active on the forum in general. I've been busy and have a lot to talk about.

Where to begin...Well, I'm back in school full-time. I knew that heading into this school year my activity would slow significantly as with the amount of extra classes I take aside from my regular 8 slots (Band, Football, Rugby, etc) was really going to weigh on my activity. Unfortunately, that also led to the end of the ProAM Offseason Tournament, as balancing school, a GM position, the ProAM (although it only happened every once in a while) and everything else I have going in life isn't exactly sustainable. I still want to thank the entire ProAM staff team (@samx, @MexicanCow123, @Zetterberg and @Ricer13) as well as everyone who was a part of the ProAM for making that such a memorable experience.

A little while after that, I saw my former AGM @youloser1337 take a GM position in Mexico City. I was so happy that I was able to mentor him for 2 seasons and he's done a great job running Mex. Super proud of you Lose ❤️. Since then, I have yet another excellent AGM in @Horcrux and it's been an absolute honor to work with them so far! I'm hoping I am able to do as good as a job mentoring them as I can.

Speaking of GMing, I saw my good friend @JigglyGumballs step down from his spot as the GM of the Las Vegas Aces. @ajwllmsn has done a great job in running Vegas and I'm excited to see him take his next steps as a GM (still super proud you traded all the picks btw)! It was a bit sad in a way, as the two of us entered the league together, but seeing him take his break was I think a very good decision by him. We see each other all the time at school and I'm glad he's taking his time to slow it down and enjoy our Senior Year.

On the topic of being a Senior, Jiggs and I did play our last High School Football game a few weeks ago. We ran through the regular season, beating a few very good teams and heading into the playoffs with a 5-0 record. We ended up playing a team in semi-finals that we had played previously during week 4. In that game, we barely escaped with a 9-0 win thanks to our defense playing like the second coming Seattle's Legion of Boom. Unfortunately, our offense couldn't get a lot going and our defense got tired as the game progressed, leading to us being knocked out. It was definitely an upsetting loss, but I couldn't have asked for a better team to play with and the memories I made along the way will always be with me for the rest of my life.

We usually have 2 teams, a JV team made up of mostly 9s and 10s and a Varsity Team of 11s and 12s. However, because of the circumstances of this year with COVID and everything, we ended up having a single team, with most of the team being 9s, 10s and 11s. I was able to become a leader and mentor a lot of the younger players and I hope I have the opportunity to come back as a coach next season. The younger guys really looked up to me so I hoped I showed them what not just being a good teammate and good football player is, but also being a great person.

Although the last two months have been really great, they've also provided their fair share of downs as well. I bottomed out emotionally at some point during September but with help from my friends and even a few members of the VHL community, I was able to get back on my feet really quickly. Things got even better. I met a really nice girl during one of our football games this season and the two of us started talking a lot. Last week, she confessed to me and now the two of us are closer than ever, which has been one of the greatest things to ever happen to me! We aren't quite dating yet, but things have gone good so far.

I made a new player in Calix Pearce. Making a defender is a lot different than a forward but I think I can handle it. I got drafted by Ottawa and I've had a great time with the opportunity @16z provided me with as a member of the Lynx! The Storm has since been relocated to Oslo and moved to the VHLE, along with the Geneva (formerly Yukon) Rush. Leading a team in the E is definitely a bit different but I think I haven't done too terrible yet so hopefully I will see improvement as the season goes on.

Now that brings me to one big thing I wanted to address while writing this. How does all this impact my future in the VHL? Well, even though I'm not as active as I once was, I still want to be a part of the VHL. I love this community and giving it up would be stupid. I'm not gonna lie, stepping back did cross my mind a few times, but it didn't stay for long. I'm at the point where I can balance everything without burning out like I would have over the last two months (don't ask how I can handle so much, I'm still trying to figure that one out). My hope is that I will be back and active like I was almost a year ago at this point.

We'll still see how this all will pan out long term, there is no guarantee that this will carry me all the way. However, for the time being, I'm back. Back and prepared to be my best for both myself and this community I call home.

- Laine

(1013 words)

you are a delight and one of the kindest people i know on this site. 

I consider you a friend and im so happy to have met you ❤️ 

@Laineyou are killing it man! I'm so happy you chose me as your AGM. It really opened up a lot of doors and solidified my love of this league. I dont think I can ever repay you for the ProAm GM and the Storm AGM positions. ❤

2 hours ago, Laine said:

Things got even better. I met a really nice girl during one of our football games this season and the two of us started talking a lot. Last week, she confessed to me and now the two of us are closer than ever, which has been one of the greatest things to ever happen to me! We aren't quite dating yet, but things have gone good so far.

LAINE PULLS LET'S GOOOOOOO

ProAm was a great time, looking forward to the return someday! 

Awesome to hear you're doing well, focus on senior year first and foremost. Glad to have you around the VHL, if you never told me about here I would not have joined, huge thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm glad you fought off the urge of stepping down, you've done such an unbelievably fantastic job and I'm always rooting for you (even if we have to be rivals lol). Keep up the amazing job,  my DMs are also opened if you need someone to talk too!!

You bet! Mine are open for anyone who needs as well!

• 3 weeks later...