A Man Above Others, What Causes Their Success?

N0HBDY

For one of my rare research articles I decided to look at a rising topic or activity if you will in the VHL, podcasting. Some podcasts do better than others, whilst some don’t necessarily crash and burn, but certainly don’t do as well. As I look up on google what statistics I should include and how to display them/make this article seem more complicated. I’ll mainly talk about the person that consistently posts, gets the most views, and what they do that makes them so successful.

Podcast Series’s:

Jardy’s Hecking Podcast @JardyB10

3PPAO @roryRory

Inside the Fish Tank @thadthrasher

Fragmented thoughts with fishy @fishy

Spartan Solo Bolo @Spartan

One and a Half Aussies @Berocka

For points, for practice @jRuutu

Sam Talks alot @samx

Ahmacast @Ahma

Rock Bottom @Phil

Jardy’s Nodesode @JardyB10

Thadscape @thadthrasher

Beers with Boot @dasboot

The Weekly Scoop

MegaBite Sized @Berocka

Marauders Management Podcast @Ledge

Off the Ledge @Ledge

Nurx’s Fantastic Podcast @nurx

Spartcast @Spartan

A mini Podcast with Minion @Minion

The Duel Defense Podcast @MrMonkey

No Fuhr @Tate

MubbleFubbles Radio @MubbleFubbles

This is a “RISKY” podcast

These are all “current” podcast, which means they aren’t in the archives. And for the most part have been uploaded this year. The podcasts are also ranked in total views, based off their top episode, or when I caught their name to put it on the list. Unsurprisingly at the top of the list is Jardy’s Hecking Podcast, a podcast by @JardyB10 who most people wouldn’t fail to know as a member of our community. The difference from the Hecking Podcast and 3PPAO based on forum views isn’t very close either, almost 300 views. With most of Jardy’s podcasts being him alone with no co-host, and sometimes guests, what does he do to stay so consistent?

chart.png.1a4259c25718ce8fa4cb0f7b03395e26.png

Just realized that the names cutoff, from left it's Jardy's Hecking Podcast Ep.10 Pt.2 ->Ep.1, then Jardy's Chodesode Ep.28 ->Ep.1, finally Jardy's Nodesode Ep.4->Ep.1

Spoiler
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.10 Pt.2  263
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.10 Pt1.1  205
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.9  243
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.8  50
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.7  826
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.6  298
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.4  275
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.3  126
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.2  237
Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Ep.1  450

Jardy’s Chodesode #28  181
Jardy’s Chodesode #27  209
Jardy’s Chodesode #26  108
Jardy’s Chodesode #25  77
Jardy’s Chodesode #24  93
Jardy’s Chodesode #23  167
Jardy’s Chodesode #22  137
Jardy’s Chodesode #21  87
Jardy’s Chodesode #20  181
Jardy’s Chodesode #19  136
Jardy’s Chodesode #18  242
Jardy’s Chodesode #17  315
Jardy’s Chodesode #16  97
Jardy’s Chodesode #15  264
Jardy’s Chodesode #14  196
Jardy’s Chodesode #13  184
Jardy’s Chodesode #12  170
Jardy’s Chodesode #11  254
Jardy’s Chodesode #10  195
Jardy’s Chodesode #9  172
Jardy’s Chodesode #8  149
Jardy’s Chodesode #7  154
Jardy’s Chodesode #6  400
Jardy’s Chodesode #5  170
Jardy’s Chodesode #4  187
Jardy’s Chodesode #3  256
Jardy’s Chodesode #2  330
Jardy’s Chodesode #1  180

Jardy’s Nodesode #4  75
Jardy’s Nodesode #3  157
Jardy's Nodesode #2  211
Jardy’s Nodesode #1  136

Taking the view counts from his old podcast the Chodesode, his current podcast the Hecking, and his newest the Nodesode. Most notably Jardy’s Hecking Podcast Episode 7 titled “The Podcast the Commissioners Don’t Want You to Hear!”, his top podcast episode, reached 827 views. In his episode summary for that episode he wrote

“-Finally get into questions that I forgot about for 2 months

-Do a brief overview of the standings and why I “hate” Vancouver’s success

-Quote Final Fantasy V

-BOG LEAKZ!.”

Did the title of this episode help with the success of this episode? Likely so, the clickbait like title grabs the viewers attention and serves its name of helping convince you to click on the episode. Jardy is also a veteran member of the league, once being a commissioner, and is a very well known figure in the community because of his personality and how involved his is from discussions with other members, to welcoming newer members. To start off the episode he has upbeat music, his mic quality isn’t absolute garbage and you can hear him clearly. Though being unscripted and relatively unprepared as he says, Jardy carries out topics for a good amount of time with small talk, and sometimes stories that take him away from the subject but is still somehow relevant. He orders his “topics” in a way that interest is carried throughout the episode, and provides something unique that most others cannot or won’t dare provide, if you didn’t already figure it out it’s BOG Leaks.

In that episode some notable things that Jardy does is he has intro music along with outdo music, includes his listeners by answering their questions, fills in parts of the podcast with his own small talk, talks in an interest grabbing tone, orders topics in a way to keep interest, has unique topics, includes details on a personal level, talks dramatically + swears, and has audio clips to transition into his next section. But these are for his mid length podcasts.

For his short podcasts he had the “chodesode” but for reasons he has changed that series into the Nodesode. This series is meant to be short and he typically records these in the car on his way home or to work. These provide lesser sound quality but are just as entertaining as Jardy is given something else to naturally talk about, other people’s driving. With more cuts in the audio to safely research something whilst on the road, every now and then there is a short break from the serious topic to “what the hell is this guy doing?” A short and entertaining little skit that can regain a viewers attention if they had zoned out or became focused on something else.

In all his episode descriptions he recaps the episode, tags the people mentioned throughout the episode even if it’s just for a second, and makes the podcast accessible to different platforms such as anchor and Spotify. Typically the best episodes for most podcasts are the I’m back, or the pilot episodes to a new series. Which includes his top Chodesode episode 7 where he announced that carcast/the podcast series was back, reaching 400 views.

So in general if you didn’t bother to read most of this article here are the tips and tricks I’d recommend based off of light research of the VHL’s top podcaster.

-Have intro music that matches with the podcast

-Have a clear voice/decent mic quality

-Know what you’re talking about

-Don’t be afraid to go off topic and talk about other things, but not for too long

-Talk about multiple things throughout your podcast

-Have something unique that just your podcast has

-Be an active figure in the community

-Recap your episode and tag those you mentioned

-Make your podcast available on different platforms

-Be engaging with your listeners

To make a great podcast you have to put in the effort, a raw audio file is great just for the tpe, but that extra pizzaz is great for the listeners.

I’m currently trapped inside because of a snow storm and so I have plenty of time to write, there’ll hopefully be plenty more articles I publish this week, let me know what you think about what I wrote above, spartan promised me a media spot response anyways, sorry for the lacking of statistics and such, I’m not much a statistics person/gatherer and I didn’t really know what to include, otherwise if I had put average viewership into a graph which would’ve been cool, I don’t know how to do that without noting down and adding up all the view counts manually.

Edited by N0HBDY

6 minutes ago, N0HBDY said:

Recap your episode and tag those you mentioned

Read: Guilt people into listening. It's super effective!

Also you forgot the secret sauce! You have to talk about Horse [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] made out of frozen [REDACTED]. Which you may not want to do, but apparently it works.

Something interesting would be to look at Episode 8. What caused it to have 50 listens when the others have so many more? That's the biggest question I immediately had, but that you didn't answer.

I'm not giving this a media spot response, but I would imagine someone who consistently posts podcasts with years of vhl experience and a wide perspective of the league would receive more engagement than those who post inconsistently and don't really rock the boat in their content as Jardy does.

He does it well, and he's passionate about podcasting. That's all you need to get listeners imo.

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm not giving this a media spot response, but I would imagine someone who consistently posts podcasts with years of vhl experience and a wide perspective of the league would receive more engagement than those who post inconsistently and don't really rock the boat in their content as Jardy does.

He does it well, and he's passionate about podcasting. That's all you need to get listeners imo.

which why from here on out i will specifically be making fun of members for 30 minutes post them then mention them until they listen

TLDR - Jardy this, Jardy that. Jardy is best. Better than rest. 

But let’s be real - Anyone - who wants the cold hard facts about the current events in the secret war between the Grays and the Reptilian race oughta tune in weekly to No Fuhr, a podcast by Tate, featuring the voice of the real human rebellion. 

May The Fourth Be With You Season 4 GIF by Star Wars

Edited by Tate

I honestly think going the extra way would help out with the views a ton. As a person who has done podcasts/talk shows for other things, you have to get your community engaged which is a difficult thing to do sometimes. The fact in the article with the graph shows that with one episodes, the views skyrocketed means that obviously, something went right there. For people to get engaged and listening, you need to add extra to the podcast, which you talked about in your article. Overall, it was very well written and has done it's job, 9/10.