Premier League Talk 2014/2015

Phil

From the neutral side of things... a draw was a fair result. Fellaini decided to play like he was back on everton and I can't stand how Hazard stops running and turns to the ref crying every time he is touched. Van Persie had flashes of his old good movements and flashes of his recent shit performances. Chelsea again demonstrated that once they have the lead, they are one of the most efficient teams at closing down the game. 

I was partiicularly impressed with how well Fellaini shut down Fabregas. That shocked me. 

Nothing innately wrong with the ref's performance; he was constant in his callings. We've all seen MUCH worse in the prem.

On another note: Joe Allan is a waste of space, Balotelli sucks big bruised balls, and Liverpool's seriously missing Sturridge. 

All I see is Shaw fouling Van Persie.

This shit always happens in the box. Ivanovic does more than his fair share of it and gets away with it too. Do I think that should have been a penalty? Definitely. Should it have been a penalty based on similar situations throughout the past few years? No. 

They need to do something about the wrestling in the box. It is getting to such an absurd point.

• Admin

There was a whole deal about it this weekend because Stoke's Ryan Shawcross actually got penalised for it. Like Skrtel does it literally every time (not that it helps Liverpool at all).

I really don't understand why people care about penalty decisions at 0-0. You have no idea what impact it would have had or even if it would have been scored. Or I guess I get being upset about penalty decisions but you can't say that is why it was a draw/loss/whatever.

Anyway, watch el Clasico on Satuday? That was good. Real are scary good. And it seems increasingly that Messi has passed his peak. Which isn't to say he's bad now but Ronaldo seems to have the longest peak in history. In fact he'll be 30 in February or March and he seems to be getting better. Considering he was voted 2nd/3rd best player in the world in 2007, that is insane longevity.

• 2 weeks later...

I know they won, but still pretty hard to feel good about that match.

True.

I think things could change with the return of Walker; he adds more width to the attack and is a natural right back, which neither Dier nor Chiriches are. Walker's return combined with the possible arrival of Yedlin in January could also mean that Dier would be pushed back towards playing center back, and I personally would love to see him get some playing time at CB.

Maybe I'm too optimistic though - there are still some worrying parts, especially concerning the rumors of some players slacking off a lot in practice.