S90 Hall of Fame Induction

Victor

• Admin

Hi all and welcome to the S90 HOF induction where we are inducting 2 fine players of VHL's recent past - a first ballot HOFer and one who's had to wait around a bit longer than others.

C - Daniel Janser, S82-S89 :cal:

RS: 576 GP, 314 G, 422 A, 736 P, +173, 775 PIM, 1,590 HIT, 399 SB, 52 GW

PO: 61 GP, 31 G, 41 A, 72 P, +10, 107 PIM, 141 HIT, 39 SB, 6 GW

S85 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S85 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S85 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S86 Scotty Campbell Trophy (Most Valuable)

S86 Brett Slobodzian Trophy (Most Outstanding)

S86 Mike Szatkowski Trophy (Most Points)

S86 Kevin Brooks Trophy (Most Goals)

S86 Scott Boulet Trophy (Top Two-Way Forward)

3x All-VHL First Team (S85, S86, S87)

One Continental Cup (S87)

First up, it's the slam dunk induction. In a 3 season spell, Daniel Janser dominated the VHL offensively and led the Calgary Wranglers to a drought-busting Continental Cup, thus securing his own VHL and Calgary immortality. His overall body of work made sure that it was an instant induction, never falling below the point-per-game mark during his 8 seasons in the league. Janser was also a bit of a VHL throwback in 2 ways - one as a league-leading Wrangler, evoking memories of the likes of Brett Slobodzian and Jardy Bunclewirth, and one as a a genuine Swiss superstar, a nation starved of success since the heyday of Scotty Campbell and Calgary's own Scott Boulet. Having spent a weekend in Switzerland this summer I was reminded again it is very expensive place and all those who doubted Janser made an expensive mistake. A very fine first-gen performance by @Daniel Janser

D - Matty Socks, S74-S80 :chi:

RS: 504 GP, 160 G, 433 A, 593 P, +79, 586 PIM, 812 HIT, 1,157 SB, 26 GW

PO: 60 GP, 11 G, 48 A, 59 P, -3, 78 PIM, 121 HIT, 122 SB, 3 GW

3x All-VHL Second Team (S76, S78, S80)

One Continental Cup (S76)

On the subject of first-gens, Matty Socks was another one, part of the supercharged draft classes which drove the VHL's most recent, and largest ever, 4-team expansion. Part of the reason the Chicago Phoenix were the first of the 4 teams to be crowned champions was hitting gold on many of their first draft picks with Jean Pierre Camus already in the HOF and Socks now joining him. What may otherwise seem like a short list of accolades is what kept Socks out of the HOF for nearly 10 seasons but what kept Socks on the ballot is the sheer consistency - like Janser, never falling below the point-per-game mark (except a 71-point rookie season), regularly named as one of the league's best defencemen and a key part of Chicago's 6-season playoff run. Good things come to those who wait, congrats @fishy

Voting results

Daniel Janser - 10/10

Matty Socks - 6/10

----

Papa Emeritus - 2/10

Kristof Welch - 2/10

Jakab Holik, Robin Galante Nilsson, Paul Atreides, Reylynn Reinhart, Oskar Lindbergh, Zach Kisslinger II, Hari Singh Nalwa, Nico Pearce - 0/10

@Daniel JanserNever had a doubt. Most of us dream to have a career like this and never get that chance. You were very fortunate to have had a player like this have so much success and I am very grateful it was with the Wranglers. It was an absolute treat to have you join our family in Calgary. Congrats man.

I needed that amazing news to settle first. If somebody told me this two years ago that DJ would be in the sacred HOF one day, I probably would have laughed in their face.

When people started telling me that DJ would be a first ballot HOF, I was cautiously optimistic that he may have the merits to actually do it. And now this! An unanimous first ballot is more than I ever dared dreaming of.

Of course I had a lot of help on DJ's path to glory, chiefly the Wranglers, from players to the brass. I will refrain from trying to name all of them (because I will forget people), but I guess you know who you are.

Thanks for this induction and good luck for those who just missed out this time around.

• Victor unfeatured this topic