Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

Completed Persona 5 yesterday night after clocking 120+ hours game-time. Considering it's the most hyped I've been for a game that I can remember (Persona 4 is my favourite game of all time), I'm more than happy that it lived up to my expectations. 

1 hour ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Anyone here play OOTP 18? I haven't played since '14, thinking about picking this one up because I have a discount code and some Steam cash.

Sorry, can't help you. That's about the last time I played too. 

On 2017-04-16 at 11:44 AM, AwfulHomesick said:

I've got about $50 in GameStop giftcards from Christmas that I've yet to do anything with. I was thinking about using it for a Nintendo Switch, but I remembered that I'm not 10 years old. The list of games also don't really grab my attention. Any suggestions?

I'm 26 and I have a NIntendo Switch with Zelda. I've been playing it more than anything I have on PS4 or PC. :lol: It's that good.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Laflamme said:

Thats them saying your shit sucks and you need to upgrade. 

js. 

If they wanna keep sending me $200 upgrades I’m cool with that haha

• 2 weeks later...

So... How's everyone enjoying this absolutely absurd year we're having in games? Gravity Rush 2. Resident Evil 7. Nioh. Horizon Zero Dawn. NieR Automata. Mass Effect Andromeda. Persona 5. Prey. We're not even at E3 yet and there's been crazy amounts of good stuff. I've only gone through Horizon, Mass Effect, and NieR so far this year myself. Gravity Rush and Persona are next on my plate as a graduation gift to myself.

21 minutes ago, Sandro said:

So... How's everyone enjoying this absolutely absurd year we're having in games? Gravity Rush 2. Resident Evil 7. Nioh. Horizon Zero Dawn. NieR Automata. Mass Effect Andromeda. Persona 5. Prey. We're not even at E3 yet and there's been crazy amounts of good stuff. I've only gone through Horizon, Mass Effect, and NieR so far this year myself. Gravity Rush and Persona are next on my plate as a graduation gift to myself.

All I've played that came out this year was Flinthook, Little Nightmares, and Edith Finch... The last two were short but fun.. Still play Flinthook pretty frequently. I played the Prey Demo on Xbox and felt like that was enough for me lol.. I was pretty close to buying NieR, but decided to go with the cheaper route with less time commitment.

Good to see you back around these parts 8)

9 minutes ago, STZ said:

All I've played that came out this year was Flinthook, Little Nightmares, and Edith Finch... The last two were short but fun.. Still play Flinthook pretty frequently. I played the Prey Demo on Xbox and felt like that was enough for me lol.. I was pretty close to buying NieR, but decided to go with the cheaper route with less time commitment.

Good to see you back around these parts 8)

I played the crap out of that demo, got 8 or so hours out of it. I'm holding off on it and Resi 7 right now, hoping to nab both at a lower price in time for October and Halloween though. NieR was really phenomenal, the combat is fantastic and the narrative was one of the best I've seen in a video game. Very layered, great character development, and it really tries to tackle themes most games would shy away from.

I'm stopping by... Thought it'd be nice to show up since someone likes to bug me on Twitter all the time haha.

Edited by Sandro

9 hours ago, Sandro said:

I played the crap out of that demo, got 8 or so hours out of it. I'm holding off on it and Resi 7 right now, hoping to nab both at a lower price in time for October and Halloween though. NieR was really phenomenal, the combat is fantastic and the narrative was one of the best I've seen in a video game. Very layered, great character development, and it really tries to tackle themes most games would shy away from.

I'm stopping by... Thought it'd be nice to show up since someone likes to bug me on Twitter all the time haha.

You got 8 hours out of that demo? It was just a tutorial and a couple waypoints lol. I mean unless you went back and tried different abilities you can buy and then studied the ability tree.

I dunno, I think you approach games more analytically, because you're in the business (I think you were doing that if I remember correctly).

11 hours ago, STZ said:

You got 8 hours out of that demo? It was just a tutorial and a couple waypoints lol. I mean unless you went back and tried different abilities you can buy and then studied the ability tree.

I dunno, I think you approach games more analytically, because you're in the business (I think you were doing that if I remember correctly).

I was also abusing the gameplay systems to glitch into areas that were supposed to be sealed off in the demo haha.

And I'm starting to work in film now, actually.

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

I need a new PS4 game to get into. These late nights mean that I get home at 6 a.m. and it also means I have about 1 hour before I fall asleep. What game should I get?

You looking for a shorter game, or something you can chip away at hour by hour?

5 minutes ago, Sandro said:

You looking for a shorter game, or something you can chip away at hour by hour?

Either or. I'm not one for aliens, dragons or anything like that. I was a huge fan of The last Of Us and have been told to try Fallout as well. So something in that neck of the woods? I'm not that game savvy.

40 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Either or. I'm not one for aliens, dragons or anything like that. I was a huge fan of The last Of Us and have been told to try Fallout as well. So something in that neck of the woods? I'm not that game savvy.

Hm. Well, if you enjoyed The Last of Us then definitely check out Uncharted 4 if you haven't. I'd also recommend Horizon Zero Dawn, it's one of the best games on PS4 and an absolute treat to play. Quality story and great world building throughout as well. If you're familiar with the BioShock or Deus Ex games and enjoyed those, I'd check out Prey. You can download a demo for it on PS4 right now. For that matter, check out Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. That was one of my favourite games last year, really good stuff.

I wonder how much you'd be willing to try something a little "weird", I guess, because Japanese developers have had an unreal start to this year and there are some phenomenal games coming out of there.

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

Hm. Well, if you enjoyed The Last of Us then definitely check out Uncharted 4 if you haven't. I'd also recommend Horizon Zero Dawn, it's one of the best games on PS4 and an absolute treat to play. Quality story and great world building throughout as well. If you're familiar with the BioShock or Deus Ex games and enjoyed those, I'd check out Prey. You can download a demo for it on PS4 right now. For that matter, check out Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. That was one of my favourite games last year, really good stuff.

I wonder how much you'd be willing to try something a little "weird", I guess, because Japanese developers have had an unreal start to this year and there are some phenomenal games coming out of there.

Believe it or not I hated Uncharted because it was treasure searching and got bored.

Horizon is something I haven't checked out but was told to before, so I will scope that out.

I liked Katamari Damaci back when it came out haha!

14 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Horizon is something I haven't checked out but was told to before, so I will scope that out.

I liked Katamari Damaci back when it came out haha!

Definitely give Horizon a look. It's sort of like a "best of" of open world action RPG elements, with some of the best combat mechanics I've seen in a while. Absolutely insane visuals and great music too.

If you're up for some weirder, Japanese games, check out the following: Gravity Rush 2, NieR Automata, and Persona 5.

Of course, Resident Evil 7 is also out if you want to pick up a horror game.