Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

2 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

It's actually downloading OK now. For some reason it started downloading fine once I deleted COD Advanced Warfare (Which was like 45 GIGS), but I can't see why I had to do that when I had 19 GIgs and the update is only 350 Mbs.

That is strange for sure, perhaps the update is misleading, and is actually larger than it says. That is the one thing about modern consoles, they don't surface the amount of info that'd I'd like on actual game sizes, etc. Like when you download a game, is the size of what your downloading just an installer or part of the full game. 

• Commissioner

So, I know this isn't Pokemon Snap like I said I would bring soon (that is still coming, but I was having controller issues) but I thought you guys might enjoy me being terrible in another game anyway:

Anyone here play No Mans Sky? I haven't but I'd like to hear some non review user feedback. I know my boy Alex Navarro over at Giant Bomb ended up liking the experience overall despite thinking it was shallow, but I can't help but what to play that game when I get back, I just don't know if it's worth the hefty price tag of a big new purchase. I kinda feel like if it was a $20 game people would be picking it up in a heart beat. 

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Anyone here play No Mans Sky? I haven't but I'd like to hear some non review user feedback. I know my boy Alex Navarro over at Giant Bomb ended up liking the experience overall despite thinking it was shallow, but I can't help but what to play that game when I get back, I just don't know if it's worth the hefty price tag of a big new purchase. I kinda feel like if it was a $20 game people would be picking it up in a heart beat. 

I kinda feel the same way regarding the price. It looks interesting enough but $80 for what amounts to a larger scale but single player Minecraft doesn't seem totally worth it to me. If it were $20-$30 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

I kinda feel the same way regarding the price. It looks interesting enough but $80 for what amounts to a larger scale but single player Minecraft doesn't seem totally worth it to me. If it were $20-$30 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, it's the perfect type of game to pick up when it goes on sale I feel. It does look so interesting though, even if whats there is basically as you said a minecraft lite, the weird creatures and planets and such I've seen some images that have been procedural generated alone seems fascinating enough to just give it a dig. I've always been a big fan of games that do that, as an avid rogue like player having mastered things like Speluneky, Rogue Legacy, among a few others, the chance to dig into something that has the ability to change on the fly like that, to that scale, seems so enticing. 

That said I still have to finish The Last of Us, something I"m ashamed I have yet to beat. I keep starting it, last time I got 4-5 hours in, but then Doom came out and Overwatch and I got pushed to other things. Sadly now I can't even finish Doom when I get back until I get a new PS4 controller due to some dead zone issues with the stick, likely from playing too much NHL. :P The sensitivity on Doom is just so fine, that it doesn't pick up that I'm holding left or up hard enough and my movement speed stops to a crawl. Pretty much makes that thing unplayable, since a big part of Doom is the great movement speed. 

Even still though there is a bunch of other new releases I am interested in. NHL 17 of course, but the new Deus Ex also looks great. 

• Commissioner

More shameless advertising! If anyone is bored and wants to watch my friends and I die and swear a lot with mediocre audio quality give this a watch:

Wasn't able to access this site for a few days so was able to play quite a bit of Madden 17. I'd have to say it's probably the best Madden since the PS2 days, although there are some really bad glitches atm that will likely get patched soon. As it stands, you can tell if an opponent will run or pass before snap and the game goes absolutely haywire if you catch a short field goal. My example was that I caught an opponents missed game-tying field goal attempt on 4th down with 12 secs remaining, so should have got the ball back. Instead, it immediately goes back to where the field goal was taken and they take another attempt (Still on 4th down!), ALSO MISS THAT ONE, then they get given yet another attempt and finally convert, tying up the game and running out the clock. Luckily I won that game in overtime but fuck me that's stupid!

• 2 weeks later...

After going a couple weeks straight of Madden, I'm now all the way back on the Overwatch train, been absolutely killing it with Junkrat lately.

Also played through the NBA 2K17 prologue. The story seemed good so far, focusing a lot more on the basketball than Spike Lee's ever did. Gameplay seemed same as usual, only real difference I noticed was different steal animations (which look a lot better) and different shot meter (which I don't often use anyway, find it easier to look at the animation). The face scan was also a lot better than the last couple of years where you had to use the PS Camera (you now use your phone). 2K15 made me look like a caveman and 2K16 made me look like I'd been stung by bees, but this year I look like a human being (after the second attempt though, first attempt had my eyes SUPER BIG as if I'd seen something horrifying at all times!) 

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest Pros and Cons of the three games I've played this week:

Overwatch

Pro

They added in sitting emotes, so with Torbjorn, I was able to sit behind a rock on Hanamura and watch as my turret killed everyone in sight on way to my largest elimination total in Overwatch so far (37 Eliminations)

Con

@Mr. Power and @Advantage aren't on it often enough

NBA 2K17

Pro

The MyGM mode is deep as fuck! They even let you re-do the off-season just gone if you wish or add expansion teams right off the bat. 

Con

I like the MyCareer mode, but I've come across glitches in the mode recently that have hurt the experience. 

FIFA 17

Pro

They added in a story mode which is something that I've wanted in a football game for ages. The mode has been enjoyable thus far.

Con

Unfortunately, when you play a match in the mode controlling just the Main Character (which I prefer since it is their story after all), the AI of your team is pretty bad, which makes matches in the mode a bit frustrating.

21 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Biggest Pros and Cons of the three games I've played this week:

Overwatch

Pro

They added in sitting emotes, so with Torbjorn, I was able to sit behind a rock on Hanamura and watch as my turret killed everyone in sight on way to my largest elimination total in Overwatch so far (37 Eliminations)

Con

@Mr. Power and @Advantage aren't on it often enough

NBA 2K17

Pro

The MyGM mode is deep as fuck! They even let you re-do the off-season just gone if you wish or add expansion teams right off the bat. 

Con

I like the MyCareer mode, but I've come across glitches in the mode recently that have hurt the experience. 

FIFA 17

Pro

They added in a story mode which is something that I've wanted in a football game for ages. The mode has been enjoyable thus far.

Con

Unfortunately, when you play a match in the mode controlling just the Main Character (which I prefer since it is their story after all), the AI of your team is pretty bad, which makes matches in the mode a bit frustrating.

The MyCareer mode in 2k17 story stuff looks to be a little better than last years Spike Lee mess. "Frequency Vibrations." *shudders*

On the plus side, we just played some Overwatch and I totally forgot custom games were so easy to make. Seeing the wall of 5 reapers float on in as we shot them down was an amusing time. :P 

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Draper said:

I'm back into Destiny

Fuck it

Meanwhile I just deleted it today to save space. I have heard the expansions were a lot better but I hated the end game and the plot so much of the original that I didn't want to pay for them.

1 hour ago, Mr. Power said:

The MyCareer mode in 2k17 story stuff looks to be a little better than last years Spike Lee mess. "Frequency Vibrations." *shudders*

On the plus side, we just played some Overwatch and I totally forgot custom games were so easy to make. Seeing the wall of 5 reapers float on in as we shot them down was an amusing time. :P 

Oh god, miles better than last years career mode. Still cannot believe they added in cutscenes nearly 15 minutes long into that mode! You don't even get cutscenes that long in Final Fantasy! 

Tbh, I thought you'd left the game at first because all the CPU's voted for me as POTG! It's funny on the PC versions, the AI bots say in the chat who they voted for. 

Regarding No Man's Sky which was asked about earlier in this thread, I like it myself. I probably threw in around 50+ hours, likely more. I'm just putting a number on it. I never got to the center which was what is considered "beating" the game, but I did explore a lot of planets and have fun discovering shit. I guess I got my money's worth. Ultimately, I got bored as fuck and stopped playing, but considering I do that with most of my games, I can't completely write it off.

Probably 75% of the games I buy these days, I play for 3-4 weeks and never touch them again. It's just a transition of buying a game, playing it for awhile, then buying the next game that comes out while having stopped played the last one, thinking I'm eventually going to go back but never do.

I always end up going back to Rocket League anyways. Although the bigger games like Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc will always have a place in my stock of picking up and putting down games. I always end up going back to those, even months afterwords.

Unrelated to all that, I recently saw a Reddit post on Mad Max getting a price reduction in the US PSN. I'm not even sure if it is the same for Canada, but it was $30 so I bought it anyways. Man, is that game fun. I've been having a blast with it and I should have bought it sooner. The car battles and explosions and fighting are really cool. The fighting is pretty much your Batman Arkham/Shadow of Mordor-esque style, with triangle for countering and square for punching, plus the little skills you can get on top of it. But yeah, driving around and blowing shit up is fun, and taking over the camps etc.

I see I missed a lot of bashing on last year's "Livin Da Dream". God, why Spike Lee what allowed to to that I will never know....

i havent played a lot of 2k17 but from what I played of the story mode it's fun. I really like he expansion function, one of the first things I did was make an expansion team and sim a season. My team made it to the conference finals their first year of existence! But then again, considering we were the 7th seed and our starting lineup was Jeremy Lin-Evan Fournier-Otto Porter Jr.-Michael Beasley-Jared Sullinger I'm not really sure how lol

Im loving the new NHL. I think it's a big improvement from the last couple of years! The Be a Pro seems revamped. While not everything is worked out (my junior team the Seattle Thunderbirds is 16-0-1 so far) my rookie junior player hasn't immediatley destroyed the league like I did in the past, which I appreciate. Haven't played much GM mode yet, but I love that they included the Draft Champions mode. I've also heard (I think from @DollarAndADream) that the EASHL is greatly improved as well.

i can never get into any ultimate team bs lol. Like it's fun to play Madden Mobile or NBA Live Mobile, but that's because it's an app! When I game on a console I don't wanna play a card collecting game.

• 1 month later...

Also, will be interesting to see how the new character Sombra plays. Seen she has invisibility, ability to hack turrets and health packs and a teleport which she can return to at any time. Ultimate appears to be something that disables opponents in a radius for a short length of time (from the gifs, I couldn't tell if it was just disabling abilities or disabling everything) 

5 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Also, will be interesting to see how the new character Sombra plays. Seen she has invisibility, ability to hack turrets and health packs and a teleport which she can return to at any time. Ultimate appears to be something that disables opponents in a radius for a short length of time (from the gifs, I couldn't tell if it was just disabling abilities or disabling everything) 

I don't know for sure on that either. The highlight videos I saw showed her sneaking in behind a Bastion, a Rhinehardt and a Turret and disabling them all with her ult. Rhine could still swing and Bastion could still go to normal and shoot I believe, however I don't think they could use any abilities at all for a decent length of time. I believe she also disables ults if they are in use as well. It's pretty interesting and I must say she is probably the most MOBA inspired character we have seen yet. She's basically an anti-mage, and a hard counter for SO MANY characters. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

I don't know for sure on that either. The highlight videos I saw showed her sneaking in behind a Bastion, a Rhinehardt and a Turret and disabling them all with her ult. Rhine could still swing and Bastion could still go to normal and shoot I believe, however I don't think they could use any abilities at all for a decent length of time. I believe she also disables ults if they are in use as well. It's pretty interesting and I must say she is probably the most MOBA inspired character we have seen yet. She's basically an anti-mage, and a hard counter for SO MANY characters. 

Yeah, considering Torbjorn turrets can be a pain on consoles, she's definitely gonna be a good counter for him.

I'm surprised they've given her 200 HP, cause I would've figured with the similar mobility as Tracer, she would have the same HP. I imagine the guys to use against her will be Reaper and Roadhog, because it looks like her weapon isn't all that powerful, so she's gonna have to get close to use it.