Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

13 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Yeah, Life is Strange was very close to being my #1, but I had to go with Persona 4 just on the fact that since I became an adult, it's the only story driven game I've completed several times over, but yeah Life is Strange was awesome, would complete every episode the day it came out haha! 

FFVIII is 8 :P! It was between that, 9 and 10 for me. I hated 13, just really boring, way too many tutorials, just wasn't what I came to FF for. 

I have zero idea why I thought VIII was 13. Must have been the 1 hour of sleep I got the other day. Lol.

14 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I guess ranks like in other MP, which I agree would be fun. 

I'm also not a fan of the fact that I unlock mods only for the gun I currently use. But it's still an enjoyable multiplayer IMO. 

And I think I'm the only person who didn't like Life is Strange :lol: I played the first two episodes and I didn't really care about the story or the characters at all, and I usually like that kind of game. My favourite episodic game would have to be Tales from the Borderlands. 

Episode 1 + 2 of LiS are mostly just build up to all the crazy shit that happens in the next 3 episodes.

16 hours ago, tfong said:

Its in their character info button. I mean i have the highest win rates on both those toons and thats cuz its ridiculously easy to win games on defense with them for most maps.

Not when said better competition is wiping you out in your own spawn lol. The difference was ridiculous. Can't learn from that :P Its like if playing against an NHLer makes you a better hockey player. Probably not since you'd get schooled off the face of the earth lol.

So I shouldn't play them because they are good at defense?  When I'm playing defense?  Not really sure I understand your complaint.  

Lol are you saying you wouldn't learn anything from playing against better competition?  unless you have a full party they randomize the teams every game, right?

Yeah I haven't played Overwatch out of beta yet but it sounds to me Fonger, like you simply don't like the meta of the game. That is to say, you like the game, especially when you can play any number of heroes and dominate. But when faced against higher competition as is the case with any game like this, there is a meta. Heroes counter certain heroes, some heroes aren't perfectly balanced so they get over utilized etc. The purpose of playing against that tougher competition it is to familiar yourself and dig into what is the meta of the game. 

If your not interested in that, and there is nothing wrong with that, then there is still always the option of going against lower ranked randoms/playing with your friends. 

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

So I shouldn't play them because they are good at defense?  When I'm playing defense?  Not really sure I understand your complaint.  

Lol are you saying you wouldn't learn anything from playing against better competition?  unless you have a full party they randomize the teams every game, right?

Lol, no you're just reading too much into what I said. I was just poking fun at you for using Bastion and Torbjorn because they are considered relatively low skill cap champions. Its like poking fun at people using shotties back in counter strike :P

2 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Yeah I haven't played Overwatch out of beta yet but it sounds to me Fonger, like you simply don't like the meta of the game. That is to say, you like the game, especially when you can play any number of heroes and dominate. But when faced against higher competition as is the case with any game like this, there is a meta. Heroes counter certain heroes, some heroes aren't perfectly balanced so they get over utilized etc. The purpose of playing against that tougher competition it is to familiar yourself and dig into what is the meta of the game. 

If your not interested in that, and there is nothing wrong with that, then there is still always the option of going against lower ranked randoms/playing with your friends. 

No its more of like when you're a bronze player playing against a diamond player in league(assuming you play lol to recognize that tier difference). You don't learn much except how it feels to get your face pounded by opponents tiers above you. I'm just saying the current matchmaking is broken because you could be playing as a played at lvl 10-20 as a new player essentially against a pro at lvl 80-100. The levels don't necessarily mean of course they are that good, but due to the game time they have encurred already at this point, it is more than likely they are at least semi-pro streamer quality and upwards for game level.

I always like playing players better than me either a tier above or below, but not usually with such a big gap. Me and a bunch of friends coordinate our team fairly well and we can beat other teams at equal tier levels, but given that we are all still new to the game, it doesn't make sense to match us up against lvl 80+ teams already. Its why I said the matchmaking system is broken right now. Proper ELO/MMR systems should give roughly 50% chance of winning for either side give or take several percentage points normally.

Me and higgins played in a match on defense where 3 of us chose Torjborn and built turrets up the ass, very easy win. It helped 1 other guy chose that chick that can teleport you after death so we kept re-spawning at the objective and building more turrets.

they should probably limit the amount of people who can choose the same guy lol

Were you guys on PC or PS4? Lol its AIDs when we decide to troll and go for a defense of 3 Torbjorn, 2 Bastions and a healer. Especially if its on the Spain/Italy map with those chokepoints.

Edited by tfong

45 minutes ago, tfong said:

Lol, no you're just reading too much into what I said. I was just poking fun at you for using Bastion and Torbjorn because they are considered relatively low skill cap champions. Its like poking fun at people using shotties back in counter strike :P

No its more of like when you're a bronze player playing against a diamond player in league(assuming you play lol to recognize that tier difference). You don't learn much except how it feels to get your face pounded by opponents tiers above you. I'm just saying the current matchmaking is broken because you could be playing as a played at lvl 10-20 as a new player essentially against a pro at lvl 80-100. The levels don't necessarily mean of course they are that good, but due to the game time they have encurred already at this point, it is more than likely they are at least semi-pro streamer quality and upwards for game level.

I always like playing players better than me either a tier above or below, but not usually with such a big gap. Me and a bunch of friends coordinate our team fairly well and we can beat other teams at equal tier levels, but given that we are all still new to the game, it doesn't make sense to match us up against lvl 80+ teams already. Its why I said the matchmaking system is broken right now. Proper ELO/MMR systems should give roughly 50% chance of winning for either side give or take several percentage points normally.

Were you guys on PC or PS4? Lol its AIDs when we decide to troll and go for a defense of 3 Torbjorn, 2 Bastions and a healer. Especially if its on the Spain/Italy map with those chokepoints.

For someone poking fun this comes off as awfully defensive :lol:

If beta provided any insight as to character inequalities, Blizzard had their chance to modify it, so I don't see any harm in playing a 'lesser-skilled' character that benefits the team if used properly.  I mean that's why you use them as well, right?  If anything, Blizzard should be reviewing the idea of having multiples of the same character IMO.

• Head Moderator
29 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

For someone poking fun this comes off as awfully defensive :lol:

If beta provided any insight as to character inequalities, Blizzard had their chance to modify it, so I don't see any harm in playing a 'lesser-skilled' character that benefits the team if used properly.  I mean that's why you use them as well, right?  If anything, Blizzard should be reviewing the idea of having multiples of the same character IMO.

I like to defend my positions :P Plus for whatever reason you had me going that you were being serious about it.

Also it does somewhat irritate me when a bastion sits in a corner and holds down the left mouse button and gets play of the game when im flying around flanking and dodging bullets and killing at the same time :P

I can't see that cheating article (work internet) but is that the one where the guy got banned for hacking and he re-bought the game 3 times but still got banned on each of those times?

On 6/2/2016 at 0:32 PM, tfong said:

I like to defend my positions :P Plus for whatever reason you had me going that you were being serious about it.

Also it does somewhat irritate me when a bastion sits in a corner and holds down the left mouse button and gets play of the game when im flying around flanking and dodging bullets and killing at the same time :P

I can't see that cheating article (work internet) but is that the one where the guy got banned for hacking and he re-bought the game 3 times but still got banned on each of those times?

Basically

Also

<3

Random Hero is the weekly brawl on overwatch this week, played a couple of games of it and it's pretty fun going round the different players. Even got POTG with Rhinehart on one of them of me just twatting people with my hammer!

I'm thinking about getting Overwatch as well (on PC), any ideas on where I could get the best price if I were to buy it online? I just checked one of the big local electronic stores and they were actually sold out, gonna go to another one tomorrow but if they don't have it either then I might want to settle for a digital copy, if it's reasonably cheap (so not the one from battle.net).

On 5/29/2016 at 1:29 PM, YEAH!stlemania said:

Thinking of how much I like Overwatch has made me consider what my top 20 games of all-rime are. I don't think Overwatch is quite there yet, but I could see it getting on there with more time, list looks like this atm (Note: Used a rule of only one game per franchise, but spin-offs allowed) 

All-Time List

1)      Persona 4 Golden

2)      Life is Strange

3)      Final Fantasy VIII

4)      Mass Effect 2

5)      Madden 07

6)      Smackdown Here Comes The Pain

7)      Football Manager 2012

8)      COD 4

9)      Streets of Rage 2

10)   Pokemon Yellow

11)   Saints Row 3

12)   Danganronpa

13)   South Park: Stick of Truth

14)   Final Fantasy Tactics

15)   Timesplitters 2

16)   Rocket League

17)   GTA V

18)   Crash Team Racing

19)   Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2

20)   MGS V

FF8? Really? That's my least of the main numbered sequence outside of 13.

12 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

FF8? Really? That's my least of the main numbered sequence outside of 13.

Yeah, as I said later on, 8/9/10 are pretty interchangeable for me, I think I like 8 most for it's setting, premise (Mercenary Schools!) and Triple Triad (the card game in 9 was fucking garbage). I think it kinda helps in ranking it as an adult that, when we now have less time to play games, there's more ways in 8 to get OP earlier on in game so it's quicker to progress. 

Those are the only three I've completed, didn't get past first disk in 7, didn't like 12's battle system so didn't get far into it, got bored to death in 13 just before the point where it apparently gets good and got pretty far into X-2, but it's not on the level of the other 3. 

3 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Yeah, as I said later on, 8/9/10 are pretty interchangeable for me, I think I like 8 most for it's setting, premise (Mercenary Schools!) and Triple Triad (the card game in 9 was fucking garbage). I think it kinda helps in ranking it as an adult that, when we now have less time to play games, there's more ways in 8 to get OP earlier on in game so it's quicker to progress. 

Those are the only three I've completed, didn't get past first disk in 7, didn't like 12's battle system so didn't get far into it, got bored to death in 13 just before the point where it apparently gets good and got pretty far into X-2, but it's not on the level of the other 3. 

I like the premise behind 8, but the system of getting money annoyed the hell out of me. I also agree on the card thing. I hit a massive difficulty spike in 13 and didn't get interested enough in it to want to grind my way out of that.

I definitely liked Tactics though, so I'm happy that made the list.

7 is definitely overrated. I ended up not minding it in the end (the Materia was super customizable once you had weapons/accessories with a lot of slots) but it's not the great champion of the series people make it out to be. 6 is actually my favorite, followed closely by 4, and I ended up rather liking 12 despite the weird battle system.

20 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

I like the premise behind 8, but the system of getting money annoyed the hell out of me. I also agree on the card thing. I hit a massive difficulty spike in 13 and didn't get interested enough in it to want to grind my way out of that.

I definitely liked Tactics though, so I'm happy that made the list.

7 is definitely overrated. I ended up not minding it in the end (the Materia was super customizable once you had weapons/accessories with a lot of slots) but it's not the great champion of the series people make it out to be. 6 is actually my favorite, followed closely by 4, and I ended up rather liking 12 despite the weird battle system.

Now that I think about it, I think there was a difficulty spike in 13 that put me off as well, think it was just after you fight that big dude beginning with B, can't remember his name, but it was a fucking annoying fight. 

Yes Tactics was awesome, easily my favourite PSP game (the PSOne version never released over here because Europe can't have nice things). 

I've always wanted to give VI a go but never gotten round to even starting it, was looking at getting the remaster on steam but it looked really weird (like clean models on pixelated backgrounds) which put me off. 

5 hours ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

Now that I think about it, I think there was a difficulty spike in 13 that put me off as well, think it was just after you fight that big dude beginning with B, can't remember his name, but it was a fucking annoying fight. 

Yes Tactics was awesome, easily my favourite PSP game (the PSOne version never released over here because Europe can't have nice things). 

I've always wanted to give VI a go but never gotten round to even starting it, was looking at getting the remaster on steam but it looked really weird (like clean models on pixelated backgrounds) which put me off. 

Barthandelus. Shortly after that you get to Gran Pulse and it's a big open field with Flans (which you can beat easily at that time), Adamantoise (which you're well underleveled for), and some third creature tougher than the Adamantoise. So you have to grind to get to the point where you can beat the Adamantoise, but you have to do it on only Flans.

Actually, re: 6 - if you read my PT, there was a reference in the first paragraph. My SHL player (I haven't been on there in at least 6 months, so he might be auto-retired by now) is Clyde "Shadow" Arrowny, which is the playable character Shadow from FF6 and his real name. Bit of a spoiler but it's not really pertinent to the plot, you'd have to catch the dream sequences so it's something you could play through the entire game without knowing.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70-rgb

picked this up earlier today, woot had a great deal for their refurbished model...  grabbed the reds so we'll see how that goes.  anyone use a mech keyboard?  i've heard great things about them, outside of how annoying it can be to type on regular keyboards once you get used to them.