Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

Kesler is the stupidest person I've seen type on the internet in the last week. Congratulations Kesler.

Also for anyone who knows anything, the team that made Titanfall INVENTED Call of Duty. It's a natural progression of those games that went on to do zero innovations and milk that franchise. They added more mobility, and managed to meld mechs and a futuristic setting with balance. The neat thing to me is also how most of the maps at least in the Beta feel middle sized. Enough chaos going on but it isn't small maps ala COD or overly large maps ala Battlefield. Their biggest issue is going to be trying to get sales though. The install bases just aren't that high. Sure it is releasing on 360 later, but with only 3 Million Xbox Ones sold and on PC requiring Origin (which is awful in comparison to Steam) it'll be harder to move units on day one. In a year though this game will likely have tons of sales. 

Titanfall will be the new COD imo. It'll sell tons (Maybe not right away but eventually) a ton of people will play it, after a month it'll be same old, same old. then eventually it'll just be a game that is tired and redundant. 

Yeah because when soldiers kill 5 people they get to call in a guard dog who will just kill people. Then when you get 3 more you can call in precision air strikes at will. And soldiers spend the majority of their time sprinting around and jump sniping with bolt action rifles. COD is as unrealistic as any game out there. But I'm not interested in Titanfall either I think it looks pretty awful myself. I don't like mechs. 

But has anyone played Hearthstone? Open beta from Blizzard and not something I would normally be interested in but it's incredibly fun. Also been playing Outlast on the PS4 which is incredibly creepy, and Minecraft on PS4 is great fun.

I dabbled in Hearthstone a little bit, it was okay but I haven't invested much in it yet.  Some of my friends are always playing it when I log onto battle.net.

Titanfall will be the new COD imo. It'll sell tons (Maybe not right away but eventually) a ton of people will play it, after a month it'll be same old, same old. then eventually it'll just be a game that is tired and redundant. 

It might be the game that finally wipes COD out, but it's not going to become Call of Duty. Respawn is a small team of about 60 developers, is independent and owns the IP. Basically, exactly like Infinity Ward until Activision bought them and screwed the whole deal. And it's sales will be somewhat neutered by Microsoft moneyhatting the PS4/PS3 versions out of existence, especially since the PS4 is just extending an already notable lead on the Xbox One.

The game is honestly fantastic. It's just flat out fun to play, and that's what a game should be.

It might be the game that finally wipes COD out, but it's not going to become Call of Duty. Respawn is a small team of about 60 developers, is independent and owns the IP. Basically, exactly like Infinity Ward until Activision bought them and screwed the whole deal. And it's sales will be somewhat neutered by Microsoft moneyhatting the PS4/PS3 versions out of existence, especially since the PS4 is just extending an already notable lead on the Xbox One.

The game is honestly fantastic. It's just flat out fun to play, and that's what a game should be.

I just don't see myself enjoying it tbh, not my style. I don't like the mech combat and it reminds me too much of halo in the FPS style. (Which I don't like Halo either) I much prefer a game like Last of Us' multiplayer as it's more team based. I despise respawn, takes any skill out of the game imo. Some of my favorite games ever were military shooters but the lack of respawn made the games phenomenal and you actually had to rely on your team and teamwork.

I dabbled in Hearthstone a little bit, it was okay but I haven't invested much in it yet.  Some of my friends are always playing it when I log onto battle.net.

Yeah starting up is the hardest part because people have such powerful decks and things that make it hard to play for a new person I spent like $10 I think? For a few packs just because I got a late start in the beta, but for $10 (Since the game was free) I've gotten a ton of value out of it. 

Yeah starting up is the hardest part because people have such powerful decks and things that make it hard to play for a new person I spent like $10 I think? For a few packs just because I got a late start in the beta, but for $10 (Since the game was free) I've gotten a ton of value out of it. 

Interesting, I might check it out later tonight.

TBH anyone who thinks CoD or this Titanfall game is realistic, play any Battlefield title...  At least there are vehicles in it (although admittedly Operation Locker is the CoD equivalent).

Interesting, I might check it out later tonight.

TBH anyone who thinks CoD or this Titanfall game is realistic, play any Battlefield title...  At least there are vehicles in it (although admittedly Operation Locker is the CoD equivalent).

Battlefield isn't even remotely realistic either. They're videogames people, the closest you can probably get without actually serving would be ARMA.

Battlefield isn't even remotely realistic either. They're videogames people, the closest you can probably get without actually serving would be ARMA.

Yeah Arma or America's Army is the most realistic by far

I would argue BF is much more realistic than the other titles, respectively of course.  It's clearly not comparable to joining the armed forces.  CoD is strictly an arcade style FPS in my opinion.

i8HpuvoLv6sBr.gif

BTW Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is sub-720p on PS3/360, 720p on XBO, and 1080p on PS4. So, y'know... same old same old. What the fuck was Microsoft thinking.

Edited by Sandro

I would argue BF is much more realistic than the other titles, respectively of course.  It's clearly not comparable to joining the armed forces.  CoD is strictly an arcade style FPS in my opinion.

BF in terms of the engine and physics and whatnot is pretty realistic. The bullet drop and wind effects are pretty solid and the map size and whatnot is much but obviously the things like using a drill and assuming it will fix a blown up tank, or that everyone's going to run to one area, lie down and watch a flag raised to call the point there own, isn't exactly realistic. But overall the engine itself is pretty realistic.

Microsoft: POWER OF THE CLOUD! SECRET SAUCE!

Sony: Yeah... Our box is just a lot more powerful.

i8Mae09W1eJMM.gif

After months of silence on this game, there is no way these "leaks" weren't orchestrated by Sony. Pretty brilliant move too.

It certainly looks good, but it'll be interesting to see how well it plays. I'm eager to see how Ready at Dawn can do at their first big console game that wasn't for PSP or a port. It not beoing 1080P and only being 30 FPS is an interesting choice, but obviously they are going for a more cinematic experience. Ultimately the world and universe has me interested in what is going on but it will still come down to how well it plays. Right now it looks like generic third person shooter with some quick time events and Last of Us style brutal melee. I saw some interesting reports/stuff regarding context sensitive melee combat that looked interesting. We'll see what they do with character and whatever RPG elements they add in though. 

The whole 1080p thing on this game is weird. Including the black bars, it's native 1080p. The thing is they're presenting it in a 21:9 aspect ratio instead of 16:9, so if you have the right TV you won't have the black bars at all. They've definitely talked a lot about how they're aiming for the game to feel like it's a movie, right down to the lens effects on the camera. Hopefully the gameplay holds up, because graphically it's fucking gorgeous. Sony better have their chequebook ready to add RaD into the first party stable.

• Commissioner

It not beoing 1080P and only being 30 FPS is an interesting choice, but obviously they are going for a more cinematic experience.

If they want cinematic they technically would want 24 FPS. 30 might be a conpromise for gamers who are familiar with the number.

In any case, it does look interesting but how good of a game do you get from trying to make it look like a movie? It's just a strange choice I guess. Who knows though, borderlands cell shading was a strange choice and it worked out well for them.

Yeah, its looking likely given that they have 4 characters that they could function as "classes" and each have different upgrade paths etc. With it also being likely that the story itself is going to be quite linear given the "movie experience" they are going for, I really hope that the upgrade paths for said characters give a little freedom/choice to the experience. Specifically with the rest being presented as a very typical cover shooter it'd be nice to see some choice/options available to the player other than just playing out this story. We'll see though.