Tanking [POLL]

Kendrick

NHL Tanking  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So after the trade deadline and well before it, the Buffalo Sabres were pinpointed as a team that is purposely tanking to acquire the best selection in the upcoming 2015 NHL Entry Draft. As many of you know the odds are still stacked against a team even if they do finish with the worst record in the NHL. Their is an 80% chance that the Sabres will not get the selection if they finish last overall, simply based on the lottery format. 

However newer publications from newspapers, media outlets and journalists have on record that Tim Murray (Buffalo GM) has a tanking purpose in place. Murray has gone on record to say that he "thinks about McDavid in his sleep and what it would mean for their franchise". McDavid has gone on record well before the start of his OHL Erie Otters season as to say "if I a team is purposely losing to acquire the chance to draft me, I want little to do with them". It has been said by athletes in the past and even in the sport of hockey that if teams tank, they want nothing to do with the franchise.

So as a hockey fan I ask, do you agree with tanking in the NHL? Should their be punishment if you don't agree with it?

*Paid for by the Activity Discussion Generating Team

Edited by Kendrick

Tanking is acceptable, but the top 3, maybe top 5 picks should all be a lottery with the non-playoff teams, with a slight edge to those finishing worse. 

Wait isn't your team tanking. I smell some bias.

My stance: I don't like tanking, it's not something a prospect likes to see or a fan. That being said under the current rules it will happen. Last 5 teams should have a 20% chance at it, somewhat makes tanking not worth it considering you have a 1 in 5 shot at it.

Wait isn't your team tanking. I smell some bias.

No, we just suck.

What he said. We just suck. I mean, we have Voracek, who's either 1 or 2 in points, Giroux, who has the most points in the league in the past 5 seasons, and Mason, who's been a top 10 goalie since he's come to the Flyers. We just have nothing on D besides Streit and somewhat MDZ, and our bottom 6 is lacking. I think we're 1 middle-6 winger and a couple defensemen away from seriously competing, but I definitely think it's likely that we make the playoffs next season.

Okay Buffalo has a bad team, why should they try and compete? Lol why not just rebuild? They are doing a good thing rebuilding and getting picks. I remember at the deadline when they traded their starter (sorry I forgot who, they have had so many goalies go through the place in the last few seasons) away for a pick and a worse goalie they were saying they were tanking. Ehh they got a pick that useless to them, so what.

If McDavid doesnt wanna go their, then they fucked up but still they have Reinhart as a number one center with Girgensons/Hodgson so maybe getting Eichel would be better anyways. 

Okay Buffalo has a bad team, why should they try and compete? Lol why not just rebuild? They are doing a good thing rebuilding and getting picks. I remember at the deadline when they traded their starter (sorry I forgot who, they have had so many goalies go through the place in the last few seasons) away for a pick and a worse goalie they were saying they were tanking. Ehh they got a pick that useless to them, so what.

If McDavid doesnt wanna go their, then they fucked up but still they have Reinhart as a number one center with Girgensons/Hodgson so maybe getting Eichel would be better anyways. 

Hodgson is supposed to impress people? The guy has been horrible.

Hodgson is supposed to impress people? The guy has been horrible.

Hodgson seems to have gotten progressively worse every season.

He went a little uphill in his development in Vancouver, left....had a decent season in Buffalo, while still been horrible defensively, but the offensive numbers were somewhat there. Now the past couple of seasons he has no offense or defense.

• 2 weeks later...

The goal of any sports franchise should be to win the cup. If a team can no longer do so in a given season, it is not only acceptable, but the only correct course of action to perform in such a way as to best set themselves up to do so in later seasons, including via improvement of draft pick.

I am not only for tanking, I am openly against competing after mathematical elimination. I think it is the dumbest thing a team can possibly do.

Edited by diamond_ace

The goal of any sports franchise should be to win the cup. If a team can no longer do so in a given season, it is not only acceptable, but the only correct course of action to perform in such a way as to best set themselves up to do so in later seasons, including via improvement of draft pick.

I am not only for tanking, I am openly against competing after mathematical elimination. I think it is the dumbest thing a team can possibly do.

That. When you put a system in place where finishing 30th is better for your teams future than finishing 20th, then you can't blame teams who are out of the playoff race for aiming at last place.

Also I think it's pretty stupid that people are almost exclusively pointing fingers at us for tanking this season when Arizona has been just as much as a perpetrator, in fact we played considerably better than them down the stretch and almost. But I think this will be the last season in a long time where we will have this discussion anyway, with the new lottery system coming up (and the fact that there isn't a McEichel every year), finishing dead last will be a lot less attractive for teams in the future.